Started the Full restoration on my 74 CJ5 today by cutting the rusted tub in half and removing it from the frame. Did a lot of research today about power disc brake upgrades and power steering upgrades.
Finally got around to working on the compressor I have laying on the shelf for as long as I can remember. I had started to mount it a couple of times already, but got overwhelmed and gave up on it.
I just started building today with no plan at all.
Got it in place, and the lower mounts fabbed up. All I need to do now is make some upper tensioning brackets. I'll probably just run a turnbuckle to one of the head bolts. That should be the easy part.
I'll need to jump a belt from the spare slot on the power steering pump to run the compressor. Hopefully it won't be a problem.
One step closer to my on board air.
78 CJ7.. 258.. TH400/Dana18.. SOA/stock YJ springs.. 35" General Grabbers.. Waggy 44s.. 4.88 gears...Spartan/Lockright...Fiberglass front to rear
Worked the winch controls to the cab with the 12 Volt Guy panel that was installed in the motorswap. It was pretty easy I'm not gonna lie. Also added some pics of the exhaust to the build thread. More to come...only a week away before we debut it at Big Dogs for a Wounded Veteran Ride with 4 Wheel to Heal.
Only problem is, now I can't get the exhaust manifold top two center bolts in for the life of me. Closed the hood and called it a night. Frustrated.
You might try starting the manifold bolt up from the center and working out to the ends. get each bolt started with about a 1/4 inch of the threads into the head. Far enough in to know its started but not enough to clamp the manifold. Leave the manifolds moveable loose till all bolts are started. Then start tightening the bolts working from center to ends.
That's the way I was taught, and after 35 years of being a mechanic. That method has never failed me yet.
1981 Jeep CJ7 4.0 HO, AX-15, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1977 Chevrolet C/10 step side 454 TH400 3.73 posi
Finally finished swapping in my 9" ran new brake lines, and bled them. Put in new drum hardware to replace the pile of rust particles in the drum. Got the driveshaft with new u joints in, and had to do some clearancing on the driveshaft and the pinion yoke. Aswell as the pinion gear and nut its self. It wasnt really an angle issue as much as it being a conversion joint, the 1310 shaft fit in the 1330 yoke a lil weird. And as previously reported my cj7 driveshaft will not work although it is close. It simply needs an inch cut out of it. I will take it in to Dayton Clutch and Joint early tomorrow and hope they can get it done for me.
But after that its all wrapped up and wheelin again.
The Last Great American Hero... the demi-god... to which speed means freedom of the soul.