What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 823 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #12331
RamblingCJ
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas Area, TX
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
Changed the oil. It was the first nice day of spring here, pushing close to 80 degrees.
Passed a couple of auto parts stores on my way to the next town to buy oil there, it's about three miles away.
Got my oil and while I was coming home, the smell from McDonalds made me hungry. Instead of simply turning around, I drove to the McD's in another town about 10 miles away.
After eating I decided to take the back way home. Came to a road recently built that I had never been on yet, so I turned and took the even longer way home on the new road.
An hour and a half later, I was home with my oil.

I thought about running the old oil back to the store to dispose of it, but figure I may need an excuse to go for a drive again tomorrow.

I feel bad for all of those other people on the road in their cars simply using them as a tool to get from point A to point B.

I also found my 7/16 wrench I had been looking for for the past week.
It was a beautiful day for a jeep ride. I went on a 2 hour stint myself. There's never really any driving from point A to B, it's just a pleasure!

Glad that wrench didn't make it into the fan!

RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #12332
JakeRod13
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALOcruiser View Post
X2! Spring finally arrived in NC. The guy at work with the stock '5 drove his too.


Attachment 604380
X2 on the great weather....Im right down the road from you in Winston. Took the top off today and took the jeep to work.
JakeRod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #12333
Darwin333
Registered User
1976 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sierra Vista, Arizona
Posts: 29
Put money away to fix it...
Darwin333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #12334
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino, Ca
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I can't tell a big difference in the ride of my YJ springs compared to my CJ springs until I am on the highway. With the old springs, passing big rigs, and cross winds would have me white knuckling the wheel at 55. I don't know how much to credit the spring swap, but the rigs don't even phaze me now, and even with a good stiff wind I can cruise on the highway with one finger resting on the steering wheel.
That's comparing stock spring to stock spring.
I know you did a SOA front and back along with the YJ swap, what do you think about doing one end at a time non-SOA? After adding a real bumper and swingout, the rear is sagging more than I like. Would it make sense to just the back until the need arised for the front?

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #12335
Captainak
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hemitage, PA
Posts: 415
Installed the Olympic Reverse-a-Bars and finished gauges ..... Finally eliminated at the tiny exhaust leaks at the collectors and headers and installed some of those locking wire nuts..... Long day......

https://plus.google.com/photos/11645...83655447386049 or
image-3051838755.jpg   image-1744056546.jpg   image-3989994667.jpg   image-1762714263.jpg  
__________________
1982 CJ7, AMC 401, Dana 60 & 14 Bolt
http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Captainak
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11197532#post1119753 https://plus.google.com/photos/116451153412037001676/albums/5857883655447386049
Captainak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #12336
skizriz
Web Wheeler
 
skizriz's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Pa
Posts: 3,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I know you did a SOA front and back along with the YJ swap, what do you think about doing one end at a time non-SOA? After adding a real bumper and swingout, the rear is sagging more than I like. Would it make sense to just the back until the need arised for the front?

WSS
I don't see a problem swapping to YJ springs one end at a time. The back is a direct bolt on, nothing needs to be done at that end. That was my original plan as my front springs were actually in decent shape. My back springs were bent into an S shape.
__________________
78 CJ7 258 TH400/Dana18 SOA/stock YJ springs 35" General Grabbers.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #12337
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino, Ca
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I don't see a problem swapping to YJ springs one end at a time. The back is a direct bolt on, nothing needs to be done at that end. That was my original plan as my front springs were actually in decent shape. My back springs were bent into an S shape.
my springs are 1.75" wide in back (72 cj5) would it still be bolt on? I have some room to strech about 1.5", would it be reasonable to strech out too?

Really appreciate any input. THX

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #12338
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 4,860
Built a set of beadlocks.











__________________
Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #12339
Caish
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 598
Finished the Rough Country to Soft Country Conversion.

just finished the front of the soft country conversion.
I removed three short leafs from the front packs like the rear.
this actually dropped the front 1/2" but it is worth it to get the
better ride.
Just a little test around the field tonight once everything checks out,
I'll cut the U bolts off sticking down.
So far its a net win for a nearly cost free improvement.



Here is the iron I removed from the spring packs.

Not the best picture in the not to bright shop but here is how it sits.

Lastly I was so late working on it today, I replaced all 4 u-bolts and the place that makes them didn't have any 1/2" in stock so had to wait for it to be delivered from Little Rock.
Then I found a set of YJ seats on Craigslist. All I really wanted as the back but it was a package deal.
If you have a back seat those things are like gold around here. $120 for the set with new sliders and all the belts. Doubt I will use the fronts.
I do plan on doing a color change on this back to Black.
__________________
Join us on Jeeperz Creeperz on Google+
Caish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #12340
8pitcher
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish
just finished the front of the soft country conversion.
I removed three short leafs from the front packs like the rear.
this actually dropped the front 1/2" but it is worth it to get the
better ride.
Just a little test around the field tonight once everything checks out,
I'll cut the U bolts off sticking down.
So far its a net win for a nearly cost free improvement.

Here is the iron I removed from the spring packs.

Not the best picture in the not to bright shop but here is how it sits.

Lastly I was so late working on it today, I replaced all 4 u-bolts and the place that makes them didn't have any 1/2" in stock so had to wait for it to be delivered from Little Rock.
Then I found a set of YJ seats on Craigslist. All I really wanted as the back but it was a package deal.
If you have a back seat those things are like gold around here. $120 for the set with new sliders and all the belts. Doubt I will use the fronts.
I do plan on doing a color change on this back to Black.
I have a cj7 factory fronts and rear seats
__________________
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #12341
Crazyredneck87
Registered User
1984 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 31
Doing a rattle can paint job for now to see how I like the color combo lol....Cheap easy and will know how I like it with out blowing the bank and getting in the dog house
Crazyredneck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #12342
Caish
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyredneck87 View Post
Doing a rattle can paint job for now to see how I like the color combo lol....Cheap easy and will know how I like it with out blowing the bank and getting in the dog house
If you use Krylons Premium Paint you will be surprised how good it can come out.
Its how I painted Allis, I was going to paint it Allis Chalmers Orange, but settled on Pumpkin Orange but I like it.
__________________
Join us on Jeeperz Creeperz on Google+
Caish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #12343
skizriz
Web Wheeler
 
skizriz's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Pa
Posts: 3,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
my springs are 1.75" wide in back (72 cj5) would it still be bolt on? I have some room to strech about 1.5", would it be reasonable to strech out too?

Really appreciate any input. THX

WSS
The non shackle spring hanger that is rivited to the frame would be the concern.
I Would guess it would have to be about 3" wide to fit the spring and bushings in. I can get a measurement for you tomorrow if you want.

The stretch would depend on you stock spring length. Here's a chart with YJ measurements to compare to.
__________________
78 CJ7 258 TH400/Dana18 SOA/stock YJ springs 35" General Grabbers.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #12344
Caish
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I know you did a SOA front and back along with the YJ swap, what do you think about doing one end at a time non-SOA? After adding a real bumper and swingout, the rear is sagging more than I like. Would it make sense to just the back until the need arised for the front?

WSS
If the back is sagging that much, might try adding a leaf, just remember the shorter the leaf to more it takes to flex it.

Just finished the leafectmy on my Rough Country so it doesn't ride like a dump truck anymore. Knowing what I know now I would buy rough country leafs (I got mine from previous owner) but before I ever installed them I would remove 3 leafs from the back for sure.
the front I removed 3 also, but still kinda debating it till I get a chance to drive it more since I just finished it tonight.
__________________
Join us on Jeeperz Creeperz on Google+
Caish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #12345
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino, Ca
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
The non shackle spring hanger that is rivited to the frame would be the concern.
I Would guess it would have to be about 3" wide to fit the spring and bushings in. I can get a measurement for you tomorrow if you want.

The stretch would depend on you stock spring length. Here's a chart with YJ measurements to compare to.

Great chart, thanks. So I would probably use the thicker pack. I hope to use softish 2.5" lift springs. I googled around a little and think I could make the rear/fronts and rear/rear hangers without too much hassle. I would need to get the bushings first for OD and hope a standard piece of dom would work, if not I could chuck it on the lathe and turn out the inside.

I'm not a purist "built not bought" kinda guy , but I have drained the Jeep kitty down to the last line on the syringe. and I have a nice sheet of 1/4" dedicated to the Jeep. Building them would save at least a 100 bucks.

Caish, I saw your "soft country" conversion, Nice. That was a lot of wieght your Jeep lost too. 1/2" for a better ride is a fair trade. I want to go your direction for now and keep the nimbleness but go (back) up too. I was going to do an inch longer shackle but that only masks the issue.

Thanks for the input guys!

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.