What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 819 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #12271
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
Yeah they are on the caps, the ones in the cross are weak so really don't want to go that route. I also thought of the second idea you had and may go that way instead.
I never gave any thought to it weakening them. But I don't have enough power to worry about that anyhow.
I did just buy ones with the fittings on the caps to replace the joints in my double cardan joint on my shaft. You couldn't grease them without removing the entire shaft.
I just hope there isn't a clearance problem with the fittings on the caps.

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #12272
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Replaced my header gaskets, no more backfiring and a nice smooth sound coming from the back.
Also decided that the reason neitherof my temp guages(previous owners handywork) work is an electrical issue.

Other than that just drove it around some and took a buddy of mine to a local hill and showed hime that you dont need granny gear to idle up steep stuff. But a torquer 360 helps.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #12273
Backcountry

How do you keep your headers sealed?? I can replace my gaskets an 3 weeks later, tick tick tick all over again!! Does doubling up the gasket help or make things worse??
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #12274
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Im hoping mine stay good. I switched to a relatively thick 1 peice gasket instead of the 3 peice. Im also planning on tighening the header bolts every few weeks. My hot rod seems to be ok with tightening them maybe twice a year. But the jeep goes through alot more abuse so I figure it will need to be done as often as beating the mud out of my air filter.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #12275
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Doubleing would seem worse from a "right way" "wrong way" point of view.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #12276
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH

Noticeable difference?
Took the jeep out today. I think the engine does run noticeably smoother. Both at idle and accelerating. Pretty sure I need to finish the nutter on the ignition module. Have a non feedback carb but I don't think the PO did the wiring.

Also took the hard top off and back to the bikini. I have to work tomorrow but at least I can drive the jeep to work with just my bikini top on, woohoo!
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #12277
RDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
How do you keep your headers sealed?? I can replace my gaskets an 3 weeks later, tick tick tick all over again!! Does doubling up the gasket help or make things worse??
What are you using for gaskets? The aluminum gaskets seem to work pretty well but the best ones I've ever used were the fel-pros that are paper on one side and aluminum on the other. May want to look into studs though. I never had any other problems after I converted to studs.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #12278
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

Engine is almost fully buttoned up!

Unread 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #12279
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Started to put in my power steering conversion but had some issues. Also went to a JY today and got a pulley for my steering pump and found a nice 360 in a 82 Cherokee waiting to be picked.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #12280
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I got antique plates for my 7 today. Basically because its 30 years old I don't need to have safety or emission inspections. I say that it will be in good mechanical condition while on public roads but no yearly requirements.

It had been running rich and I saw that the PO had bypassed the egr amongst other things and decided to go the antique route rather than try and hook thinks back up to the weber. I'm still going to lean it out but I didn't want to have to deal with temp tags while messing with everything.

Also spent $$$ on tools and parts, ripped into my PS gear box and broke two of the three bolts on the bracket at the shackle. I got lucky on my first Google search of the issue and read about the guy who went through the exact same thing last fall. At 8 my wife said I needed to stop air hammering so I picked up some new to me seats from my buddies old rig.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #12281
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Started to replace my manifold/intake gasket in preparation for the weber 32/36. It became moreof a chore than i planned and now I decided to clean up the manifold and remove the emissions tubes, etc the PO just capped or crimped. Cleaned up on the block as musch as I could and decided while I was at it I'd just go ahead and nutter it at the same time. Amazing how plans change when you start peeling back the onion.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #12282
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I put my dogs in and took a hilarious pic...

image-4290437318.jpg

Luv it. Emailed it to my local jeep dealership. Hope they can low it up and print it....
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #12283
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post

Attachment 601785

Luv it. Emailed it to my local jeep dealership. Hope they can low it up and print it....

Oh man that is dangerous................

Letting them drive w/o seatbelts!

Awesome shot

Cheers,
WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #12284
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114

Look at the guns on the dude!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #12285
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

image-3600234918.jpg

This one is cool too, Gunny (driver ) looks like he is talking to Yukon (passenger).... Lol
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.