3/26 - Today I measured how much 1/4" steel line I'll need to buy so that I can replace the return fuel line from the engine back to the gas tank.
I've had the Jeep for 17 days now. When I got it the thing had been sitting for eight years out back in the woods. It had been tinkered with a bit a long while ago (six years or so) to determine if she was salvageable and they decided to leave it for dead.
This is my first "daily grind" post, so perhaps a little catch up:
3/9 - dragged the Jeep out of the snow with the help of my uncle.
3/10 - borrowed a trailer to go pick up the Jeep and get it home.
3/11 - empty all the miscellaneous stuff out of the Jeep and scrub / wash inside and out, change engine oil & filter, air filter, fill coolant, steal the boat battery (short term loan). No start.
3/12-15 - find a wiring diagram online and start re-creating it in CAD, comparing my wire colors with diagram and taking notes.
3/16 - change the fuel pump, fiddle with radiator hoses. No start.
3/17 - change the water pump, only to find out that the pump shaft is the wrong length.
3/18 - crawl around in the JeepForum.com site looking for a solution to the water pump. Remove carburetor and scrub the outside. Partial diss-assembly.
3/19 - more carb parts cleaning. 1979 water pump is in at parts store, pick up and install - nice fit.
3/20 - found a source for idle air screws to replace broken / stuck screws in throttle plate, successfully removed old idle air screws from throttle plate.
3/23 - replacement idle air screws arrived in the mail, assemble carburetor and make bench adjustments. Install on Jeep. Start!
(also contend with a fuel leak in the return line - quick fix for the moment)
3/24 - tool around in the back yard with the Jeep again, discovered that fuel is leaking onto exhaust from another location in the return line.
3/25 - assess and tally: less than $100 to get it to start and drive around. List of parts and issues that need to be addressed - way too long.