What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 783 - JeepForum.com
 32Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11731 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Installed new wheel cylinder, tuned brakes, installing train horns and compressor, shortened and installed new jeep Cherokee cv drive shaft. Jeep drives and stops so much better now! And now people actually get out of my way when I honk instead of laughing!


Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11732 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Jeepfreak81
Registered User
 
Jeepfreak81's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 2,142
Wanted to see how my rear winch would look.



Picked up my custom clutch the other day.


94 V8 YJ, SOA, H1's, 37's, HP D44, D60, 4.88's, winch and some other goodies
1946 CJ2A, 225 V6, T98 D18, Warn OD, D30/D44. Dual winches mild lift & 34's
1966 M416 1/4 ton Military Trailer Expo Trailer
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline  
post #11733 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 PM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,413
Wheeled it!







You know its a good day when you have shrubbery coming up through the passenger window.


Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
post #11734 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM
jason400
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Savannah
Posts: 53
Drove it. Well drive it every day, it's a daily driver. The wife drives the 4runner. I did make minor adjustments to the carb.
jason400 is offline  
post #11735 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM
firewalker909
OK, one more.
 
firewalker909's Avatar
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 408
Got my federal tax return today and finally pulled the trigger on a Bestop Supertop. It's been unusually cold and rainy here in the last month and haven't been able to drive the CJ much.
firewalker909 is offline  
post #11736 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
chadscj7
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Rebuilding Front End- Have Huge Question

In short order...

I just replaced wheel bearings, spindle bearings, all new seals including the inner axle seals. In order to replace the inner axle seals I had to remove the "cage" that holds the ring gear and small spider gears. I took the two caps off and the chunk came right out and I placed it on the ground. After I replaced the seals I placed the cage back in without turning, moving or anything. Placed the caps back on and torqued. Replaced the cover filled with oil done with that. I replaced the u joints in the axles and placed them back in the axle tube, seated them and replaced the spindle and torqued the nuts.

Now is my question... I tried turning the right side axle by hand and it turns freely but the drive shaft doesn't turn. The left side axle turns freely but again the drive shaft doesn't turn. When I turn the drive shaft, by hand, the axles do not turn. I don't think this could be right but that's why I'm asking. I remember before disassembling everything, the locking hubs were so dry and gummed with old grease that they were "engaged" and when you would spin one of the front wheels the drive shaft would turn so I would think it would turn now.

I bought the CJ in September of last year and haven't ever put it in 4WD!!! Too busy buying parts and getting ready to rebuild.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Feel free to PM me with your thoughts.

Thanks!

Chad
1980 CJ 7

Last edited by chadscj7; 02-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.
chadscj7 is offline  
post #11737 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
flyin-brian
Registered User
1976 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rathdrum
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean112280 View Post
Very nice
Thanks
flyin-brian is offline  
post #11738 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
MrBeast
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Livingston/Houston
Posts: 557
Taught mine a new trick.


"He used to be a pretty nice feller, now he's a welder"

80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt
(When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)
MrBeast is offline  
post #11739 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 4,966
Pulled a boat out of one of my favorite wheelin spots. Now I can wheel it once again. I also got to test my new winch wiring hauling it up 25 yards of hillside then driving it up to a hilltop. It was fiberglass and therefore very light, but at least nothin got hot and melted this time
Attached Thumbnails
image-2209199160.jpg  

Cheers!
Dadamsnv is online now  
post #11740 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 10:23 PM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,413
"Its not illegal to tow a boat sir.. But we do require you to put it on a trailer. Heck, you lost your skier about a half mile back..."

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
post #11741 of 19815 Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 4,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
"Its not illegal to tow a boat sir.. But we do require you to put it on a trailer. Heck, you lost your skier about a half mile back..."
Haha

Cheers!
Dadamsnv is online now  
post #11742 of 19815 Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 AM
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadscj7
In short order...

I just replaced wheel bearings, spindle bearings, all new seals including the inner axle seals. In order to replace the inner axle seals I had to remove the "cage" that holds the ring gear and small spider gears. I took the two caps off and the chunk came right out and I placed it on the ground. After I replaced the seals I placed the cage back in without turning, moving or anything. Placed the caps back on and torqued. Replaced the cover filled with oil done with that. I replaced the u joints in the axles and placed them back in the axle tube, seated them and replaced the spindle and torqued the nuts.

Now is my question... I tried turning the right side axle by hand and it turns freely but the drive shaft doesn't turn. The left side axle turns freely but again the drive shaft doesn't turn. When I turn the drive shaft, by hand, the axles do not turn. I don't think this could be right but that's why I'm asking. I remember before disassembling everything, the locking hubs were so dry and gummed with old grease that they were "engaged" and when you would spin one of the front wheels the drive shaft would turn so I would think it would turn now.

I bought the CJ in September of last year and haven't ever put it in 4WD!!! Too busy buying parts and getting ready to rebuild.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Feel free to PM me with your thoughts.

Thanks!

Chad
1980 CJ 7
The reason it doesn't spin should be because the front hubs aren't locked anymore. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it shouldn't spin when the hubs are disengaged. Engage the hub and then the axle will spin with the driveshaft.

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #11743 of 19815 Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 14,932
John Strenk is offline  
post #11744 of 19815 Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
00sarhara
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clemson
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak81 View Post
Wanted to see how my rear winch would look.



Picked up my custom clutch the other day.

The way you have the winch mounted and the wire rope coming off the winch, you may be working against the brake.
00sarhara is offline  
post #11745 of 19815 Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,413
The winch cable should be coming off the bottom of the drum, as it appears his is.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (4 members and 4 guests)
Blake_S , CjHouch , Misterb1996 , W_A_Watson_II
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Got another CJ today!! fastas69 Jeep CJ Forum 9 03-01-2016 07:12 AM
What Did You Do To Your CJ Today? Renegade86 Jeep CJ Forum 4 08-01-2010 09:31 PM
Nutter'ed my 84 CJ7 2.5 today! 79cherokee Jeep CJ Forum 2 10-11-2008 10:06 AM
I just got my first CJ5 today! bannings Jeep CJ Forum 12 08-11-2004 08:52 PM
got my cj-5 today....:D supersly_jones Jeep CJ Forum 11 06-17-2004 07:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome