What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 759 - JeepForum.com

 164Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11371 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,451
Get the kind that wrap around the bar. So much stronger. The load is spread across a larger area, instead of pin pointed like when you use a bolt or clip in end. Most sanctioning bodies for race cars do not allow the bolt or clip in style because of this.


Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11372 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Get the kind that wrap around the bar. So much stronger. The load is spread across a larger area, instead of pin pointed like when you use a bolt or clip in end. Most sanctioning bodies for race cars do not allow the bolt or clip in style because of this.
Thank you!

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #11373 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,451
Just make sure they are threaded the correct way as they go around the bar. I saw one come loose in a sprint car when it flipped... Not pretty.



Lil background info on me. I was the crew chief on a 360 sprint car for 15 years. I had to know all the safety systems and regulations.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
post #11374 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
lucdog
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,781
You go outside in 7 temperatures, just to look at it.

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #11375 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Just make sure they are threaded the correct way as they go around the bar. I saw one come loose in a sprint car when it flipped... Not pretty.

Lil background info on me. I was the crew chief on a 360 sprint car for 15 years. I had to know all the safety systems and regulations.
What's the best position of the bar to be welded in? At, above or below shoulder height?

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #11376 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex77cj7

What's the best position of the bar to be welded in? At, above or below shoulder height?
About 4" below Is how I'm going to build mine.

sent from the bottom of an empty money pit

Built Not Bought #640

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #11377 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

About 4" below Is how I'm going to build mine.

sent from the bottom of an empty money pit
Yeah that's how I was gonna do it too. I thought that was regulation but I couldn't remember.

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #11378 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 PM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,451
Use this pic as a reference to mounting your shoulder harness bar.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
post #11379 of 20676 Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Use this pic as a reference to mounting your shoulder harness bar.
Thank you. Idk how I missed it earlier! Hahaha anyways I think ill just mount it at shoulder height right behind my seat. That way it will still leve room for rear passengers to climb on the rare occasion someone rides back there! Think 5-point harnesses are good for my application?

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #11380 of 20676 Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 AM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,451
5 points are nice, but very rarely is there a situation where the anti-submarine belt (crotch strap) is useful. I would get a set of 3" wide belts. Anything narrower and you end up with nice bruises or cuts where the narrow belts pressed against you.

I stay away from cam lock belts. They tend to get gummed up with dirt etc. and I have seen them fail (not fully lock in). I only use latch lock belts. Very few moving parts, the locking mechanism can be seen clearly, and they are not affected by dirt.

Stay away from these.


These always work and are simple.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
post #11381 of 20676 Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 AM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 5,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
You go outside in 7 temperatures, just to look at it.
Wrong thread bill. Hahahahaha

Cheers!
Dadamsnv is online now  
post #11382 of 20676 Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 AM
lucdog
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

Wrong thread bill. Hahahahaha
Oops

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #11383 of 20676 Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
5 points are nice, but very rarely is there a situation where the anti-submarine belt (crotch strap) is useful. I would get a set of 3" wide belts. Anything narrower and you end up with nice bruises or cuts where the narrow belts pressed against you.

I stay away from cam lock belts. They tend to get gummed up with dirt etc. and I have seen them fail (not fully lock in). I only use latch lock belts. Very few moving parts, the locking mechanism can be seen clearly, and they are not affected by dirt.

Stay away from these.

These always work and are simple.
Thanks! I was actually going to go with the cam lock style but now ill just go with the other ones.

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-77-cj7-project-sleeping-beauty-1442479/#post14508634
Alex77cj7 is offline  
post #11384 of 20676 Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 AM
gazzo
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 1,688
Drove home 150k and picked up a new muffler on the way. No more crappy racket coming out of what used to be the muffler. Now I can really hear my flogged gudgeons. After that I stripped all the A/C stuff. 10 kilos of dead weight gone.

Gary (gazzo)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline  
post #11385 of 20676 Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
82JeepCJ7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Oops
Must be the cold temperature....

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
GFox , jdhuffcj5
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Got another CJ today!! fastas69 Jeep CJ Forum 9 03-01-2016 07:12 AM
What Did You Do To Your CJ Today? Renegade86 Jeep CJ Forum 4 08-01-2010 09:31 PM
Nutter'ed my 84 CJ7 2.5 today! 79cherokee Jeep CJ Forum 2 10-11-2008 10:06 AM
I just got my first CJ5 today! bannings Jeep CJ Forum 12 08-11-2004 08:52 PM
got my cj-5 today....:D supersly_jones Jeep CJ Forum 11 06-17-2004 07:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome