What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 757 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #11341
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex77cj7

I want to do that bar behind my rear seats like that so that I can use 4-point harnesses! Anyone else ever done that for a daily driver/weekend wheeler???
There is only one (that I know of) 4 point (its actually a 3 but it works like a 4) harness that is DOT approved. It is the Schrott auto controll III

I hope to have some some day

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #11342
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

There is only one (that I know of) 4 point (its actually a 3 but it works like a 4) harness that is DOT approved. It is the Schrott auto controll III

Do you have that pipe right there? I want to do it but I still have a back seat.. But I don't use my backseat so I'm having a hard time making up my mind:/
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #11343
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

I've seen a set of true 4-points and a set of 5-points forsale locally and I didn't want to go with the 5 point cause of the crotch belt on a daily driver.
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #11344
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:

Do you have that pipe right there? I want to do it but I still have a back seat.. But I don't use my backseat so I'm having a hard time making up my mind:/
The only way it can be DOT is if you use your original/factory seat belt mounts. So instead of a bar, the auto control's shoulder straps meet behind the seat at an inertia reel like a normal seat belt would have so you can move around. Then a single strap goes from the reel to the back seat's seatbelt mount hence the three point. Best part is, no modification to anything
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #11345
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I've been pulled over while wearing my 4 points and never been hassled about my belts. It's hard to argue with something that's better than stock. With a latch lock system, you don't have to use the 5th point (crotch strap). I won't use a twist lock system. I've seen them fail to lock with dirt in the mechanism.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #11346
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
I've been pulled over while wearing my 4 points and never been hassled about my belts. It's hard to argue with something that's better than stock. With a latch lock system, you don't have to use the 5th point (crotch strap). I won't use a twist lock system. I've seen them fail to lock with dirt in the mechanism.
That's what I don't understand.. Why can't it be dot if its safer than stock? Lol I'm probably going to go with what you said.
Unread 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #11347
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:

That's what I don't understand.. Why can't it be dot if its safer than stock? Lol I'm probably going to go with what you said.
For real, the only reason is because of the mounts. The original mounts have been inspected by DOT and approved. If you took your 4point to a DOT approval person with a proper mounting system, he'd charge you a million bucks and say you are good to go. Hence the reason the one I mentioned is legal.
Unread 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #11348
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

As with most 30+ year old vehicles, the original DOT mounts are weakened by rust etc. Not to mention the belts have expired. The webbing and stitching are only good for so long. That is why SFI requires the belts to be replaced every two years.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #11349
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
As with most 30+ year old vehicles, the original DOT mounts are weakened by rust etc. Not to mention the belts have expired. The webbing and stitching are only good for so long. That is why SFI requires the belts to be replaced every two years.
I didn't say police were reasonable
Unread 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #11350
Backcountry

forumrunner_20130131_185459.jpg

I know its not as technical as the rear crossbar, but mine are bolted to reinforced threaded hole in my tub. Ive never had a problem, an im a va state inspector! Ha
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #11351
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Attachment 555038

I know its not as technical as the rear crossbar, but mine are bolted to reinforced threaded hole in my tub. Ive never had a problem, an im a va state inspector! Ha
The setup as you have it is dangerous, the reason why is when the belts are bolted to the floor like that in an accident they will pull down on your shoulders as your body goes forward, this will cause a compression injury to the spine and can be fatal. They really need to be bolted in at or above shoulder level.

They would be better off bolted to the top of the roll bar.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #11352
Backcountry

I thought thats what the braces in my mastercrafts were for, it will pull on my seat long before my shoulders, as I see it I could be completley wrong though ha
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #11353
Heyjack
1977 CJ5 

Power washed engine so I can see what I am doing.
Heyjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #11354
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

Their is a bar made I think by gen right that bolts to your existing roll bar for you to mount shoulder harness too. This way you can take it in and out by unbolting the roll bar clamp mounting system.
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #11355
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast

The setup as you have it is dangerous, the reason why is when the belts are bolted to the floor like that in an accident they will pull down on your shoulders as your body goes forward, this will cause a compression injury to the spine and can be fatal. They really need to be bolted in at or above shoulder level.

They would be better off bolted to the top of the roll bar.
X2 on that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.