Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#12,105 ·
Finished TeamRush, added the MSD Street Fire CDI and jerry rigged my BBD carb to function until I decide between rebuild and replace. Went back and loomed the CDI install(after it was 100%) and cleaned up PO work on battery terminals and other wires while I was at it.

Attachments

#12,106 ·
54willysjeep said:
started to mess with the wiring harness on it. not fun at all.
I think it really is kinda fun. Figuring out what wires you don't want and then rebuilding it.

#12,108 ·
The panel will drop down once the retaining hardware is removed. This will allow ease of access to the wiring behind the dash and gauge clusters. So tired of the time spent dropping out the dash to get to something simple.

He's making the dash fold down so he has easier access to the clusterflop of wiring behind it. Ingenious.
Right! Thanks brother!

Its easy to do just make the cuts....pick some scrap metal up and buy a 36in hinge off of jegs for $10 bucks We will see how it comes out. I have the ideas of the template in my build thread :thumbsup:

#12,111 ·
#12,115 ·
Alex77cj7 said:
Finally got my bestop supertop In today and got it put on. I love it! Also took pics when the windshield was folded down!
I love your cj man. Phone still messed up I wanna give you a call sometime.

#12,116 ·
My oh so tired CJ5

3/26 - Today I measured how much 1/4" steel line I'll need to buy so that I can replace the return fuel line from the engine back to the gas tank.

I've had the Jeep for 17 days now. When I got it the thing had been sitting for eight years out back in the woods. It had been tinkered with a bit a long while ago (six years or so) to determine if she was salvageable and they decided to leave it for dead.

This is my first "daily grind" post, so perhaps a little catch up:
3/9 - dragged the Jeep out of the snow with the help of my uncle.
3/10 - borrowed a trailer to go pick up the Jeep and get it home.
3/11 - empty all the miscellaneous stuff out of the Jeep and scrub / wash inside and out, change engine oil & filter, air filter, fill coolant, steal the boat battery (short term loan). No start.
3/12-15 - find a wiring diagram online and start re-creating it in CAD, comparing my wire colors with diagram and taking notes.
3/16 - change the fuel pump, fiddle with radiator hoses. No start.
3/17 - change the water pump, only to find out that the pump shaft is the wrong length.
3/18 - crawl around in the JeepForum.com site looking for a solution to the water pump. Remove carburetor and scrub the outside. Partial diss-assembly.
3/19 - more carb parts cleaning. 1979 water pump is in at parts store, pick up and install - nice fit.
3/20 - found a source for idle air screws to replace broken / stuck screws in throttle plate, successfully removed old idle air screws from throttle plate.
3/23 - replacement idle air screws arrived in the mail, assemble carburetor and make bench adjustments. Install on Jeep. Start! :cheers2: (also contend with a fuel leak in the return line - quick fix for the moment)
3/24 - tool around in the back yard with the Jeep again, discovered that fuel is leaking onto exhaust from another location in the return line.:mad:
3/25 - assess and tally: less than $100 to get it to start and drive around. List of parts and issues that need to be addressed - way too long.

#12,117 ·
EgulAye said:
3/26 - Today I measured how much 1/4" steel line I'll need to buy so that I can replace the return fuel line from the engine back to the gas tank.

I've had the Jeep for 17 days now. When I got it the thing had been sitting for eight years out back in the woods. It had been tinkered with a bit a long while ago (six years or so) to determine if she was salvageable and they decided to leave it for dead.

3/11 - empty all the miscellaneous stuff out of the Jeep and scrub / wash inside and out, change engine oil & filter, air filter, fill coolant, steal the boat battery (short term loan). No start.
3/12-15 - find a wiring diagram online and start re-creating it in CAD, comparing my wire colors with diagram and taking notes.
3/17 - change the water pump, only to find out that the pump shaft is the wrong length.
3/18 - crawl around in the JeepForum.com site looking for a solution to the water pump. Remove carburetor and scrub the outside. Partial diss-assembly.
3/19 - more carb parts cleaning. 1979 water pump is in at parts store, pick up and install - nice fit.
3/20 - found a source for idle air screws to replace broken / stuck screws in throttle plate, successfully removed old idle air screws from throttle plate.
3/23 - replacement idle air screws arrived in the mail, assemble carburetor and make bench adjustments. Install on Jeep. Start! :cheers2: (also contend with a fuel leak in the return line - quick fix for the moment)
3/24 - tool around in the back yard with the Jeep again, discovered that fuel is leaking onto exhaust from another location in the return line.:mad:
3/25 - assess and tally: less than $100 to get it to start and drive around. List of parts and issues that need to be addressed - way too long.
Any pics of your jeep? Sounds like you've done a lot in just a couple weeks

#12,119 ·

Sounds like someone needs to start a build thread :thumbsup: