I made the loud paddle work again for the first time since Christmas. Shot of it moving under it's own power. A few final adjustments and it's back to driving regularly. Now to build the axles and tear it down again.
Careful your character's showing
Let's see, fastened my dimmer switch to the floor, put in a temporary floor with some old license plates (I have new floor pans, but I want to get a new outer rocker panel before I install them), I got my oil pressure gauge working for the first time since I got it running and I'm happy to report that I have 50 psi at idle... and I also fixed a miss on #5 cylinder that's been haunting me since the build got to where it was running in Dec. Not sure what I did, but I pulled the plug and checked the resistance against another plug, and then swapped them.. maybe it wasn't tight, I don't know, but it seems to run better now..
Hooked up all the power to the circut breaker, then to the relays and installed new switches for the KCs on the light bar and the fog lamps on the bumper. Then installed a new fused #6 dedicated power cable to the sealed power distribution box. Went into the cab and fired it up for the first time in 2 weeks. Started right up and everything works. This was the first time it's run since rebuilding the heater--blazer blower really does the job, and the first time since redoing the gas tank and sending unit-the fuel gauge moves but still doesn't seem quite right. Now onto rewiring the compressors and stereo!
So, it seems like the PO that had this prior to me, would have caught the whole timing being off and would have REPLACED the TIMING CHAIN!! But no, thing had jumped timing so bad that the timing marks on the gears were no where CLOSE to being in line with each other.
So..where am I at after pulling the engine out Fri afternoon?
engine stripped down to block, inspected the claim from the "Jeepstore" where I bought it from and they were actually truthful about replacing the main and rod bearings. All the journals look great. Gaskets are all removed, surfaces clean. New mild cam lube up and installed. New timing gears and chain installed, CORRECTLY. I broke my Crapsman Torque wrench, funny thing, Craftsman doesn't warranty their torque wrenches...go figure. So I couldn't torque things up, so I ended up stripping down the oil pan exterior and started repainting it. 3 coats of primer thus far. Sanding tonight.
After the engine gets put back together, i'll start stripping and prepping the firewall for new paint.
Daily Driven: 1985 CJ7 Renegade, 258ci 4.2L (TeamRushed and Nuttered), T176/Dana 300 (in need of an overhaul), Weber 38 DGES, Ion Alloy 174 15x8, MasterCraft Courser MT 33x12.5x15, Front Axle Dana 30 w/ Superwinch Hubs, Rear Axle AMC 20 w/ one piece Alloy USA.