What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #631
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

Well, I am so thrilled, I got my CJ back from the paint shop today.
Been puttin stuff on it all evening. Don't get to excited though. I
gotta put bedliner in the tub before I put the roll bar back in. But, it's
lookin more and more like a Jeep. Now if my digi cam will hurry up and get here
so I can so you guys.

Unread 09-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #632
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Russ
Hmm, for the last 2 weeks, I've been waking my Jp up from a long 6-year slumber. This entailed rebuilding the Carter BBD, replacing the shocks (which led to a new spring plate on the rear passenger side : ), replaced the rusted-out battery tray with a new stainless steel one, replaced many vacuum hoses, installed new ignition switch, identified a loose connection in my fuse box for the ignition circuit (and found out the fuel guage is powered by the same circuit as the engine computer, now have a nice visual indicator if my ignition fuse works loose again!) which was preventing it from starting. Today, I had a new cat, muffler and muffler heat shield installed.

Tomorrow, I'll change the oil and the radiator hoses. I've also got one of those polyurethane bushing kits to install, but the replacement fastener hardware got shipped to my home in Cali instead of my in-laws in Mississippi where I'm at right now.

Hopefully, all this work will have the Jeep cross-country ready by the time we need to drive back to Cali.

Lot's o'fun!
Just a bit of a long-winded update here: Discovered a really bad exhaust manifold leak due to a missing exhaust manifold bolt (the one that's right up against the firewall), so I pulled the manifolds and put a new gasket set on. What should have taken 3 or 4 hours ended up taking all day! (isn't that always the case?) Also discovered I was having severe engine detonation in 5th gear under load. Checked the timing and was WAY out of spec. Got the timing fixed and it ran like a champ!

Started our drive from Mississippi to Cali and got as far as Little Rock, AR, when I got what I thought was a really bad vacuum leak from the manifold. Lost about 6" Hg of vacuum and had a horrific whistling noise coming from the manifold. Ended up having to ship the Jeep to Cali.

Since then, I've been trying to get to the bottom of the leak. Had my local mechanic try to find the leak and he couldn't. He did find and fix a small exhaust leak around the flange area as well as replace my leaking PS hoses.

During my diagnosis, I discovered the pulse air system was completely toast. Both check valves were inop and one of the vacuum control valves had melted! Also, had a bunch up crap blown up into the air cleaner housing from the rotted out cat & pulse air system. Ordered replacement pipes and valves and things ran better, but the whistleing got worse above idle and the Jeep had no power above 35 mph. Took it back to my mechanic to take a look at it while I was out of town. As I was demonstrating the loud noises my Jeep was making, he crawled under the Jeep and determined my new Cat was leaking from a weld on the air injection tube, hence the loud whistle. Guess the sound was travelling up the air tube and getting into the engine bay. I mentioned my lack of power and asked him to check the cat (it was after all new, so it *should* have been ok, right?) for any blockages. Turns out the cat was bad, in fact he asked me how the h### I was driving it! He put on a new cat and squared away the air injection tube and she's finally running right!

All in all, that bad Cat cost me about $2000!
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #633
DannibusX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I put a Bestop Supertop on my CJ (kind of). It's not totally finished yet, but it is supposed to be sunny tomorrow so hopefully everything will be good.

Coming soon: Exhaust, Wheels and Tires, Axle Gearing.
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #634
Mickey*B

Finally got the new 360 to run cool!! Off to the trail tomorrow for a shake down run. Yahoo!
Mickey*B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #635
BillsFan
1986 CJ7 

Ripped out all these useless wires...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...89/Jeep015.jpg

BillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #636
Bevers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Put new parking lense covers on yesterday.

Today went out to try and fix the shifter for the transfer case only to find out that the new bolt wont fit on the shifter. Dont know if someone put a different shifter in there or if they changed the bolt size. Prolly gonna drill the shift lever hole out so the bolt will go in it.
Bevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #637
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

changed my jetting in my carb(950 cfm) from 99 to 105 jets
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #638
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rear main seal and oil pan gasket. Glad that job is done.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #639
tahoe wheelers

Bent a stinger and radiator hoop for my front bumper. Installed to more pieces of tube to my roll cage for more support and futer attachment place for my amp and cb. Then did some grinding and painting. Worked on the clutch linkage that failed this weekend.
1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #640
M79
1979 CJ7 

Replaced master fuel pump.
Put in 3 point seat belts.
Seafoam treatment.
M79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #641
BlueFalcon
1980 CJ7 

I stared at it in the parking lot and wished I had money and time to do anything that I want (and need) to do. But it still runs so Im happy
BlueFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #642
famicom21

I drove mine about 200 feet to a club meeting, then back to its lonely parking spot..

On the bright side my hub and studs finally got here! just need a new rotor and I can fix her this weekend.
Unread 09-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #643
dodchall70

I changed oil in mine. While underneath it I noticed a bad u-joint. So back to the parts store for new front u-joints. Maybe if it is real good I will replace the rear ones.

[COLOR="Yellow"][COLOR="Black"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #75[/COLOR][/COLOR]
dodchall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #644
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

found out I have more money to spend to fix the rear...
'85 CJ7, 258 4.2 Howell TBI, NP435, twin sticked Dana300, 4.56 Yukon chromoly: Rear20-extra thick tubes, shaved,trussed,discbrakes,ARB: Front30- flipped tierod,Detroit EZ locker, warn hubs: 3.5" BDS YJ springs and booster, 35" Trxus M/T's, rhino'd, full roll cage, borgenson steering shaft, big daddy steering box bracket...Unknown OIL Leak(working on it...)
FOR SALE $6000
atomicflatulenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #645
blynyrd
1976 CJ5 

I installed the new windshield and windshield frame, and new mirrors. Well I'm about to go finish actually, I had to run in here to check out bestops install instructions to get the windshield rake correct. Now to go tighten a couple more bolts then put the mirrors on after I straighten out the arms.

Why, you ask, did I replace a perfectly good w/s , frame and mirror set?
Well lets just say I hit a rock with my w/s, but the rock was still on the ground.

think about it.

oh well, all that means we're that much closer to replacing the purple paint with burnt orange. ( I hate purple, unless it's on a hemi super bee )
mildly built 304, t150,d20 , open d30 front, arb'd 30 spline d44 rear, 4.10:1's, soa w/ mil. wrap springs and add a leaf's (leaves?) 35" pro comp mt's, mm se9500# winch (with the wicked cool wireless remote), and too many other custom touches to list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I friggin hate purple
blynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.