Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#8,502 ·
Installed the headlight switch , degreased and cleaned the under carriage , ordered 98 bucks in parts from Morris 4X4, mocked up the Revers-a bars for Welding to the frame, pulled the clutch pedal and prep'd it for hydraulic clutch conversion and powder coating

#8,504 ·
Started installing my painless harness, wouldn't exactly call it "painless" I stabbed myself 3 or 4 times with screwdrivers and test lights... Found a few broken wires and a wire with no insulation on it almost from one side of the motor to the other! No wonder I had no brake lights, reverse lights and the turn signals would pop the fuse every other time you turned em on, the choke was always at high idle because that wire had melted off too. No high beam indicator, 4wd indicator, or brake indicator. Also no heater, or volt and oil pressure gauges!

#8,505 ·
Picked up a used chrome super pro tach for $15 and mounted under the main speedo gauge. and removed the stock ash tray, moved the cigarette lighter over to the right under the radio. And cleaned up some loose wiring.

#8,506 ·
Installed a twin port 12v power supply,so now i can charge cell phone,use GPS and the like.Also picked up my new tranny,when i got there he still had the bellhousing bolted on and asked if i wanted the flywheel,pressure plate and clutch,of course i said yes,i was only expecting the tranny:2thumbsup:

#8,507 ·
Tore it apart today. Folded down the windshield, removed the dash and wiring harness, removed the YJ rocker flares/steps that I installed when I did my tub swap in 1998 only to find more rust than I'd like lurking under them, ground out the rust on the door opening only to find it rotted all the way thru the cowl reinforcement so now I'm stuck trying to decide whether to stop here and find another tub or tear in and learn how to weld, cut and patch. Made a separate thread about it with pictures and I think this is going to end up being a long drawn out restore thread ;)

#8,510 ·
1969 CJ BUick V6 225.

So after deciding to keep the 225 legacy alive; two months, allot of lost hair, too much money and too much cussing later she went in and got turned over this week. THIS IS ONE HAPPPY GUY!!!!!

I decided to keep the 225 for two main reasons; I grew up learning to drive a 71 CJ with same motor and tranny set, with the addition of a really bad a$$ Warn overdrive (which I will be looking at getting for my current project) This jeep went and did everything my Dad's 60 Willys could with allot more money and fabrication, maybe with not as much grace but that little 71 kept right up from the mountain logging trails to the Rubicon. Secondly I don't want to chop shop my jeep into some unrecognizable heap of plasma cut metal and tires. I want to keep my Jeep looking as stock as possible but, much like my Dad has done, give her everything under the hood and sheet metal to make the old CJ a decent trail rig and family rec vehicle as much as my Dads green machine for years to come. So with these things in mind I decide why not keep the powerful little V6 that could and make it a rarity let alone a little bit different then every 360 and 350 Chevy out there.
These are just a couple of the pictures from the thread I'm working on that show the CJ from when I towed her home to when she blew the number six cylinder due to the PO being a complete used car sales men and bad home mechanic.
Long story short on the motor the PO blew a rod and rocker, replaced it with new parts and valve cover left pieces of the rod sitting in the valley and the other half in the pan and hid the rest of the evidence at the time of the sale. 6 months later the motor blew, after a tear down a destroyed cylinder with the ground half left chunks of a rod were found and a rebuild was started (as a disclaimer in case people may think I'm just a cry baby who is blaming things on the PO, he saved all his receipts in the manual he gave me with the title and yep his name on all the replacement pieces, he rebuilt it half baked so he could sell it quick).
Pistons were honed .10 over, everything except the crank being polished is brand new minus the original casting pieces. from the intake down. Take a look tell me what you think please? And yes If you understand a Kid from southern Idaho just graduating from Boise State you'll understand the color so please don't hate. I am having a slight timing issues but none the less will be out money for a timing light tell Friday.

Attachments

#8,511 ·
row684 said:
Started installing my painless harness, wouldn't exactly call it "painless" I stabbed myself 3 or 4 times with screwdrivers and test lights... Found a few broken wires and a wire with no insulation on it almost from one side of the motor to the other! No wonder I had no brake lights, reverse lights and the turn signals would pop the fuse every other time you turned em on, the choke was always at high idle because that wire had melted off too. No high beam indicator, 4wd indicator, or brake indicator. Also no heater, or volt and oil pressure gauges!
That's why I went with the jegs and it was about half the price ......

#8,513 ·
I picked it up from the Tow Yard, the city towed it out of my driveway because it didnt have registration the bastards. Stole it from me at like 230 in the AM

#8,516 ·
YetiKing said:
I picked it up from the Tow Yard, the city towed it out of my driveway because it didnt have registration the bastards. Stole it from me at like 230 in the AM
Never understood that. Not running, won't pass inspection, so there are no plates. No plates means it gets towed.

Guess it is just another way to make revenue...

#8,517 ·
I bought the painless thing for mine, didn't even consider the whole right hand drive thing. Fuse box/firewall junction is on the wrong side and nothing is the right length. Who wants one? Cheap!

#8,518 ·
I've never had to worry about that particular problem....But I always leave my steering wheel locked all the way to one side.

I figure that would at least make it a pain in the *** to get on a flat bed.

#8,520 ·
Today was my wrench day with a buddy from work. We removed and replaced the springs. Took us three trips to the hardware store for nuts and bolts, Had BBQ , drank some beer, swatted mosquitoes , sweated out 10 lbs and got really dirty. I got to use my grinder to cut off the Ubolts.. That was fun. Lots of issues were caused by P.O. mushroomed bolts, cross-threaded bolts and nuts, mixed fine and coarse threaded of same, and bent stuff too. It's funny now, but we had some choice words are we made our way from one issue to another. But you guys know all about this kind of stuff. A great day. Back together now except sway bar link link bolts were ruined, so I test drove without sway bar finished, but rides much better/stiffer. JC Whitney was cheapest on bolts btw.

All done we noticed my Jeep doesn't sit straight. After a beer and pondering it as we looked at everything, we think sometime in it's earlier days, it got the frame bent a little. The right rear sits a tad higher. Either that or the front left sags. Heh. I can't imagine what that would cost, so she's going to drive with a slight list I'm thinking...