Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#8,441 ·
Nice Fab there... I was thinking about doing the same, but with a 40MM can

I've been working on my custom center console. Mated two .50 cal. ammo cans together. Took the lid off the bottom one, cut the bottom out of the top one and then welded them together. Used a little body filler to smooth out the seam and then painted it flat black with rattle can Krylon.

Used a couple of u-bolts to attach it to the seat riser. Hopefully today I will finish the padded armrest and install the lock.

#8,448 ·
Experienced my first death wobble. Only happens at 30 miles an hour when you turn right and hit a bump. I almost shat myself it was shaking so bad. It shook so bad the engine shutoff
scary chit eh? I'll bet your life flashed before your eyes too. The first time for me was in 1981 I bought a 78 Bronco off the Ford lot happened on the way home 1 block from the stealership.

#8,452 ·
I've had trouble with the CJ starting. I tested my solenoid and it worked fine. I bypassed the ignition switch and the starter worked fine. After researching the threads here, I turned the key on, loosened up the ignition switch and slid it down until my meter finally showed voltage and tightened it down. The jeep has been starting fine since.....thanks guys!

#8,453 ·
Pulled about thirty pounds of wires, old smog, and vac crap out from under the hood of the scrambler today. Cleaned up and painted the air filter box. Ordered a Carb rebuild kit, bought new spark plugs and various hoses ... Tomorrow, I am going to take it for a drive, then pull the Carb for rebuild.

#8,460 ·
Experienced my first death wobble. Only happens at 30 miles an hour when you turn right and hit a bump. I almost shat myself it was shaking so bad. It shook so bad the engine shutoff
Fun stuff!

I've never had the death wobble, but I had so much worn out steering linkage, its a miracle I didn't. The bump steer was scary enough.

I replaced the upper u joint in the steering column, adjusted the steering box, replaced the drag link, replaced a power steering line and hooked that back up.
Drives like a new vehicle now. I still have to do an upper ball joint though.