What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 377 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #5641
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET48 View Post
Are you sure you want to trust your first welding experience on axle components? I can't see real well in the pics, but it looks like you have poor penetration on the welds. Not trying to be mean or anything, just saying.....

i don't take it mean, I'm always up for constructive criticism.

I did practice on some scrap metal for several days before attempting the axle.

My brother-in-law has been welding for 15 yrs or so. He helped me through it. Came and checked on it a couple times, said it got good penetration. I had to re-do a few sections, but that's how we learn.

Thanks for the input.

johnnypac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #5642
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

Began patching the only damage on my tub! Using aluminum diamond plate to reinforce it. I don't want to fall through the floor!
image-2805423536.jpg   image-335967581.jpg  
jcalhoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #5643
STUBE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bought some O.D. Green spray bombs for it
Unread 06-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #5644
NorthwestCJS
1966 CJ6 

Mounted the re-built carb, then tried to start it. wouldnt start, pulled the carb apart and checked the messurements, all good. Mounted it back up, and checked the fuel, all good there, then herd the sound of fluids hitting my garage floor, looked under the jeep and noticed my fuel tank was leaking. I love this jeep. fix one thing and another fails.
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #5645
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker909 View Post
Installed new side view mirrors.
Do those mirrors have the rubber gasket wrapped around the outside of the mirror head or are they like OEM which do not?
The reason I ask, my replacements, with the gasket wrapped around the head, make whistling noises while going down the road.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #5646
johnsom5
1986 CJ7 

It looked too white, so I pulled it out of the shop to get some sun. Still waiting on parts, so I didn't drive it much. New lift and wheels really make a difference!
forumrunner_20110604_200837.jpg  
johnsom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #5647
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Installed some footman loops around the inside edge of the tub for a bikini top and tonneau cover I'm having made for it. I also was putzing around and replaced the swaybar bushings, checking things over, and seeing what all I need to prepare for the frame swap.

Also thought I'd see why the steering is odd. Found the left front wheel bearing was loose, so I disassembled the hub, and lo-and-behold, the jam nut was just riding on the axle stub. So I look around in there, found some metal pieces (looks like bearing cage pieces) which I pulled out. Turned the inner nut by hand to snug it. The bearings still roll smooth, so I was going to just put the nut back on, but as per my luck, the threads are worn smooth in the nut... Looks like I'm gonna be getting a new spindle nut kit for both sides now. The last guy in there before me didn't bend the flange washer over on the nut, so I'm guessing the other side is the same..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #5648
HAMRICK1024
1983 CJ7 

I completely tore down my front end. Stock Dana 30 it is time for all new bearings and seals. Tomorrow I will try and fiure out the power steering pump leak ( that is if my wife does not make me sleep in the shop tonight ).
HAMRICK1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #5649
KoreanKrusher
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Do those mirrors have the rubber gasket wrapped around the outside of the mirror head or are they like OEM which do not?
The reason I ask, my replacements, with the gasket wrapped around the head, make whistling noises while going down the road.
I have the same problem, I managed to find the exact adjustment that does not whistle, small little bump into them and then I'm back at square one.

Installed front seat belts and custom hi-lift mount on rear bumper
KoreanKrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #5650
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

All new lug nuts on the 2 back rear wheels..while I had the wheels off I went a cleaned the rims with sos pads..inspecked the brakes and painted the drums black...washed it,retimed it and adj the carb...went for a quick dash around the block.
002.jpg  
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #5651
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
The mirrors are Crown replacements and they do have the rubber gaskets around the outer edge. I was driving it to work this morning and heard a whistling noise but didn't realize it was the mirrors until you mentioned it.

Looking at the mirror, there is a small gap between the gasket and back of the mirror. That may be causing the whistling. I may try running a small bead of silicone around the edge of the gasket and see it that does anything.
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #5652
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

finally got around to figuring out why my horn stopped working...horn was bad, replaced it and now good to go...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #5653
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Drove it to a 4x4 show and swap meet. Picked up a set of wheel spacers and KC Daylighters for cheap.
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #5654
Transorange
1979 CJ7 

Just removed the fender flares for painting and did some electrical work behind the dash ;-)
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #5655
RedCJ83
1983 CJ7 

I pondered my continued ownership

I'm a Jeep guy; I have always really loved the adventure a Jeep promises, but I have to admit I'm tired. I bought a CJ, had it checked out and everything seemed good. Not long after I got it what was lying unexposed started to reveal itself. The motor had/got (not sure which) a crack in the block, the rear end and the transfer case were completely worn out. After putting in a brand new 258, replacing the rear end with 4.75's, a Detroit locker, and one-piece axles; the front end with 4.75's and a trutrac, rebuilding the transfer case with all new gears and seals, fixing the fuel gauge, and completely undercoating it with rust seal; I'm tired. I need to get it to California as I am in the military. It's too tall to ship commercially for any reasonable rate as it sits on 35s. I don't own a trailer and neither have the money nor the energy to try to find one after dealing with my CJ. Once I get it out there it will likely not pass a California smog inspection, not because of the numbers, but because of the visual inspection; which I must pass to drive it on the base. If I don't live on the base this is not a big deal, but if I do, which I want to, then I will have to pay to store it somewhere off base. (while military do not have register their vehicles in California, therefore they do not have to smog their vehicles for Ca; the military has chosen to require it's members to smog their vehicles to drive them onto a base in CA. Thanks Uncle Sam, appreciate it. Not that I ever expected to get all of my money back out of this thing; I think right now that I would loose way too much to try to sell it. ....Worn out, broke, and tired......RedCJ83
RedCJ83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.