Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#26,041 ·
Yeah the steel door seals were a pain for me too.
Are you talking about the outer seals for the steel doors? Luckily I tackled those a while back. They are good and seal great!

However, I have all the seals for the windows guides, tracking, small vents and everything they need but have been procrastinating because I know it will get involved. I just want to replace all of them at the same time since it will require I tear open the doors. The window guides at glass sides are bad; cracked and separating in some areas. Not looking forward to it but knowing me, once I get into it, I will go all out. I plan to add Dyna-mat on the inner door itself to sound proof it as well. Might as well since the inner door will be open and exposed!

#26,043 ·
Had a broken inner door handle I replaced. I like the new one better and I had to bend the connecting rods because they were hitting the glass rail. So I took my soft doors off and put my steel doors back on since I have a.c.

#26,044 ·
Yeah the steel door seals were a pain for me too.
Are you talking about the outer seals for the steel doors? Luckily I tackled those a while back. They are good and seal great!

However, I have all the seals for the windows guides, tracking, small vents and everything they need but have been procrastinating because I know it will get involved. I just want to replace all of them at the same time since it will require I tear open the doors. The window guides at glass sides are bad; cracked and separating in some areas. Not looking forward to it but knowing me, once I get into it, I will go all out. I plan to add Dyna-mat on the inner door itself to sound proof it as well. Might as well since the inner door will be open and exposed!
No, not the 1 piece outer seal . That one was easy. I'm talking about the glass seals. They were a pain for me personally but its tedious. I was having trouble with one of the seals tearing when rolling the window up but I finally received a seal that actually fit good.
Do you have vent windows ?
I had the pivot break on my vent window and someone else here as well. You may want to leave the small window seal be if in decent shape.

#26,048 ·
No, not the 1 piece outer seal . That one was easy. I'm talking about the glass seals. They were a pain for me personally but its tedious. I was having trouble with one of the seals tearing when rolling the window up but I finally received a seal that actually fit good.
I had the pivot break on my vent window and someone else here as well. You may want to leave the small window seal be if in decent shape.
Yes, I have the vent windows and they are in excellent shape. The glass seals are what cracked and are in desperate need of replacement but I know it will be tedious. So I have been procrasinating. I just bought some 3M adhesive seal that I plan to use by applying a small dab here and there on that strip where it has cracked: on back side. Not much but just a little to hold it should later down the line it repeats the cracking.

#26,051 ·
Yes, I have the vent windows and they are in excellent shape. The glass seals are what cracked and are in desperate need of replacement but I know it will be tedious. So I have been procrasinating. I just bought some 3M adhesive seal that I plan to use by applying a small dab here and there on that strip where it has cracked: on back side. Not much but just a little to hold it should later down the line it repeats the cracking.
Cool. I wasn't worried about the glass. I was thinking about the vent window housing . Their pivot pin breaks if you try to break that nut loose.

Do you have the crack at on the inner door at the vent window ? I saw a write upwhere the guy reinforced it and was able to weld it up . It's a pretty good write up

#26,052 ·
Evacuated , replaced a.c. fitting o-ring and recharged a.c. and washed it, clay bar on some spray paint over spray, waxed

#26,055 ·
Removed upper/fresh air box to plumb the windshield washer "squirters". Didn't realize on a YJ the washer tubing runs on the inside. Yes, I'm using the YJ squirters since I read they work better...and I didn't want to have to do bodywork to cover up the squirter holes.

Also cut the YJ cowl for the CJ windshield's defroster and re-installed fresh air box and defroster duct.

On a roll, so I installed emergency brake and cable

Attachments

#26,056 ·
Removed upper/fresh air box to plumb the windshield washer "squirters". Didn't realize on a YJ the washer tubing runs on the inside. Yes, I'm using the YJ squirters since I read they work better...and I didn't want to have to do bodywork to cover up the squirter holes.

Also cut the YJ cowl for the CJ windshield's defroster and re-installed fresh air box and defroster duct.

On a roll, so I installed a brake and cable
That's what I did. Give yourself some slack with the hose. I didnt use plenty of hose so I take the squirter nozzle off I have to be real careful not to drop the hose down in behind the plenum.