Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  84 Laredo cj7 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#23,583 ·
Counting splines question. I counted these splines and came up with 32 and I micd it and it was .8. So do I count it as a 36 spline cause of the flat spot and is it a 13/16 that's the closest fraction. Btw it's a 1996 h1 steering box

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
One more dumb question what brake line goes to the front with a 68 Corvette master cylinder

#23,584 ·
Originally Posted by littleblackjeep
Pics or details on winch/batt/charger on trailer? Thinking of something similar

Here are my trailer pics.

Attachments

#23,586 ·
Gave the Jeep a well deserved complete TUNE-UP and inspection of all fluids and lube spots. Glad I did because the electric choke wire was shot (shorting) on the carburetor. I could not get the carburetor to function properly and now I know why. Ran a new wire direct to the coil and WHAM, it's working like it was designed to.

Attachments

#23,588 ·
One more dumb question what brake line goes to the front with a 68 Corvette master cylinder

Should not matter, both reservoirs have the same size piston. Are you using the corvette proportioning valve or an adjustable valve for the rear brakes? If a factory proportioning valve, that is where you have to make sure the lines are correct so brake bias is correct.

#23,589 ·
Should not matter, both reservoirs have the same size piston. Are you using the corvette proportioning valve or an adjustable valve for the rear brakes? If a factory proportioning valve, that is where you have to make sure the lines are correct so brake bias is correct.
My cj didn't have a prop valve I am gonna just give it a try with out it and see how it is since most of the time it's in the woods and if it seems not good I'll just get an adjustable one I guess

#23,591 ·
My cj didn't have a prop valve I am gonna just give it a try with out it and see how it is since most of the time it's in the woods and if it seems not good I'll just get an adjustable one I guess

I would plumb one in from the start. They are cheap and easier to put in from the start then to add at a later date and have to cut and re-flare a line. Also, does your master have built in residual valves? If not, you will want to add them to keep pedal travel in check.

#23,592 ·
I would plumb one in from the start. They are cheap and easier to put in from the start then to add at a later date and have to cut and re-flare a line. Also, does your master have built in residual valves? If not, you will want to add them to keep pedal travel in check.
You have now past my knowledge of braking ha my old master didn't have a prop and worked perfectly fine other then the 4 wheel drums didn't like to stop 35s very well especially when wet. I don't know ow how to check for the residual valve can you explain how?

#23,593 ·
On your drum/drum setup, the rear wheel cylinders were smaller than the front and that took care of your brake bias. Plus as you found, they wouldn't lock up the tires anyway. Hopefully your new 4 wheel discs will. If you are using a stock application master cylinder, it should come with residual valve built in under the flare seat.

#23,594 ·
On your drum/drum setup, the rear wheel cylinders were smaller than the front and that took care of your brake bias. Plus as you found, they wouldn't lock up the tires anyway. Hopefully your new 4 wheel discs will. If you are using a stock application master cylinder, it should come with residual valve built in under the flare seat.
I bought a brand new master from advanced Auto parts for a 68 vette. So if I order a adjustable prop valve do I put it in for the front or rear? Do I get one like this?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-...dSMWGxA_nzivH8vQXTVf5Ud_Kvoj7OGBoCWYkQAvD_BwE

#23,595 ·
#23,598 ·
Well....got my speedhut gauge in the mail yesterday and installed only to realize they swapped mine and another guy's custom jeep gauge that says "AIR" where the "4WD" should be. Looks like I need to cut all the connectors, send it back, and have them remake it. They seem pretty easy to work with right now, and were hoping to have it back to me in a week or less.

#23,599 ·
No End to it!

Quite shifting only goes in 2nd gear. Removed trans tore apart found sifter fork bad found one in Penn ordered put in installed trans back in as I was putting the pan up and noticed the T/C leaking worn out wear it had rubbed through on the pan. removing the T/C cover to weld and then replace along w/ the oil pump that was damaged while taking cover off. IT NEVER ENDS. GOTTA LOVE JEEPS

#23,600 ·
Quite shifting only goes in 2nd gear. Removed trans tore apart found sifter fork bad found one in Penn ordered put in installed trans back in as I was putting the pan up and noticed the T/C leaking worn out wear it had rubbed through on the pan. removing the T/C cover to weld and then replace along w/ the oil pump that was damaged while taking cover off. IT NEVER ENDS. GOTTA LOVE JEEPS
Just say it probably needed replacing anyway... :)