Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#21,503 ·
Nothing. In fact nothing since 2007 when I tore the whole thing apart. It's been sitting in my garage taking up space. I lost ambition.

I turned down an offer to sell the pile of parts last fall. I almost sold it. Almost. It's still there. I did drive a jk in 2010 for a couple years. I hated it...HATED it!! #notajeep

I'm now going to reassemble it. All I need to do is put it together. Every nut bolt bearing bushing gasket seal paint etc is brand new. Everything. I have been reading threads here and you guys have inspired me, so thank you.

I want to make it a dd too.

Maybe I should write an inspirational book!!

#21,504 ·
Hood Safety Latch

Yesterday I finished installing a hood safety latch on my CJ7. I have a full fiberglass body, and there were no holes in the hood for the latch. I found a used latch on eBay, and fabricated the hood plate, based on a design found here on JeepForum. All in all, it came out very nice. Now, if I for some reason forget to latch my hood down, I won't end up eating it at 60 MPH, like some of the horror stories I've read...

Regards,
John

#21,506 ·
Nothing. In fact nothing since 2007 when I tore the whole thing apart. It's been sitting in my garage taking up space. I lost ambition.

I turned down an offer to sell the pile of parts last fall. I almost sold it. Almost. It's still there. I did drive a jk in 2010 for a couple years. I hated it...HATED it!! #notajeep

I'm now going to reassemble it. All I need to do is put it together. Every nut bolt bearing bushing gasket seal paint etc is brand new. Everything. I have been reading threads here and you guys have inspired me, so thank you.

I want to make it a dd too.

Maybe I should write an inspirational book!!
I've been working on my 86 CJ for the last 3.5 years when I have time. It has been one challenge after another. And it can definitely be frustrating. But when I fix something and take it out out of the garage for a quick test drive, I quickly forget what a PIA its been on some occasions, and it all feels like its worth it. I know I prob could drop it off at a mechanic and pay someone to make it run like it should, but what fun would that be? Plus I'm cheapish, and would rather save the money for better upgrades once I get it to where I can drive it "legally". If it weren't for all the folks on the forums with good advice, I probably wouldn't have made it this far.

#21,507 ·
I've been working on my 86 CJ for the last 3.5 years when I have time. It has been one challenge after another. And it can definitely be frustrating. But when I fix something and take it out out of the garage for a quick test drive, I quickly forget what a PIA its been on some occasions, and it all feels like its worth it. I know I prob could drop it off at a mechanic and pay someone to make it run like it should, but what fun would that be? Plus I'm cheapish, and would rather save the money for better upgrades once I get it to where I can drive it "legally". If it weren't for all the folks on the forums with good advice, I probably wouldn't have made it this far.
In the same camp here. Have been very close to just throwing up my hands and taking it to a professional. But usually after putting down the tools and coming back later I get through it. She is teaching me all kinds of lessons in patience and perseverance. Like tackling the suspension this weekend. First corner went pretty well, then I got progressive curveballs as I went. Seized bolts in sleeves. Sawzall. Brake line blocking shock mount. Extra 10-15 min of work to remove and reattach. Passenger rear shackle bolts hit gas tank on removal. Sawzall again.

After it was all buttoned up it was low 70s and sunny here in Atlanta. Put the bikini top back on and spent some extra time enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21,508 ·
Got my front OME 2.5" springs and RE shackles in....still need to torque and trim the bolts...waiting on some new rear shackles now before I can finish it

Went with the 14f and 36r springs and daystar poly bushings for a yj...pro comp u bolts and crown rear plates, all from eBay....still need to get some shocks as well

Lifted the front almost 3.5" from where it was
With SUA you must have the slider plates. Ask me how i know...

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...d=W/I1755--4&gclid=CKys0Lj4n9ICFY62wAodB_0LZw

#21,509 ·
Thinking about that right now.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Black

I guess I could also cut them off?

Don't judge the fact I installed a rear shackle on the front (notice the bolt length protruding). I caught it and corrected the error of my ways. Changing out the bolts to the correct length ones was quite the feat of shade tree engineering. A pry bar, some extra bolts, a 1/2 to 3/8 socket adapter (to protect the zerk fitting) and a hammer may have been used.

#21,510 ·
jdhuffcj5 said:
In the same camp here. Have been very close to just throwing up my hands and taking it to a professional. But usually after putting down the tools and coming back later I get through it. She is teaching me all kinds of lessons in patience and perseverance. Like tackling the suspension this weekend. First corner went pretty well, then I got progressive curveballs as I went. Seized bolts in sleeves. Sawzall. Brake line blocking shock mount. Extra 10-15 min of work to remove and reattach. Passenger rear shackle bolts hit gas tank on removal. Sawzall again. After it was all buttoned up it was low 70s and sunny here in Atlanta. Put the bikini top back on and spent some extra time enjoying the fruits of my labor. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the second frame off I'm doing on this doggone jeep!! Ugh.

#21,511 ·
Bushwhacker cut out fender flares. 6in I believe. I didn't cut my body up since it was a new tub and paint. But I like the look. Thanks for the compliment. It's been a lot of work to get it there
SO, if I am reading this correctly you didn't cut the fenders and the bushwhackers fit?

#21,512 ·
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the second frame off I'm doing on this doggone jeep!! Ugh.
Laid on my back yesterday and spent the last two hours of an 6 hour stretch trying to make the tailpipe fit correctly as I replaced the 30 year old exhaust. It kept lining up touching the gas tank. After I got done leaving some blood and skin on the frame, I sat back and admired that shiny new exhaust and with my beer in hand I savored the feeling of not paying someone else to do it.

#21,513 ·
Laid on my back yesterday and spent the last two hours of an 6 hour stretch trying to make the tailpipe fit correctly as I replaced the 30 year old exhaust. It kept lining up touching the gas tank. After I got done leaving some blood and skin on the frame, I sat back and admired that shiny new exhaust and with my beer in hand I savored the feeling of not paying someone else to do it.
Pictures please! Of both the exhaust and the beer.

#21,515 ·
Yesterday I finished installing a hood safety latch on my CJ7. I have a full fiberglass body, and there were no holes in the hood for the latch. I found a used latch on eBay, and fabricated the hood plate, based on a design found here on JeepForum. All in all, it came out very nice. Now, if I for some reason forget to latch my hood down, I won't end up eating it at 60 MPH, like some of the horror stories I've read...

Regards,
John
Happen to have a link? Or... Would you be willing to build another and sell it?

I plan to go with a glass hood eventually, so this will be on my list...

#21,516 ·

Regards,
John
The fiberglass hood will open at approx 40 mph. Trust me on that, I know, twice..... ;)

#21,517 ·
Started Monday putting in a T stat (PO didnt have one installed). Installed with new gasket..... it leaked. Removed, cleaned and installed with gasket sealer......it leaked. Removed, cleaned and installed again. Success!! No....... it leaks again. Snugged up bolts and broke the housing(cast aluminum). It rained for two days, so today with new housing and a thicker gasket, I installed it with copper spray on the gasket. Woohoo. No leaks. Water temp runs at 180*. Next is the blower motor and defrost duct.

#21,519 ·
Interesting sheet metal on the front there. Looks like a cross breed of CJ, YJ and TJ all rolled into one. I like it!
Ya, the previous owner tried to TJ it up a bit. I don't know much about jeeps, so it took a while for me to realize it. after I stripped off all the bondo and paint, i could tell something was different, the hood is dozens of panels and welds and slices. the headlight buckets are sunk deeper into the grill, and the grill top corners are squared off.

They did a really good job of it, welded completely and cleanly. many times they just booger weld and bondo everything, but no this time.

Here are some photos of when i first bought it

They love to "modernize" things here to make them "look better". so it came with a toyota steering wheel, which is quite common, i have bought 7 different "jeeps" here with toyota, or honda, or hyundai steeringwheels and dashboards installed. because people will be totally fooled by your 1985 Lada with a 2010 toyota steering wheel into thinking you are a successful, modern person.

Oh, heres a photo of how much bondo was on the hood when i got it. there is no need for it, the metal was in great shape, i have zero body filler on the hood now. but its a thing here, the more filler the better. so most body guys dont even try to line up panels or anything because its going to get a half inch of filler anyway. i have a 2 foot x 2 foot slab of filler i took off another hood last year.

every car i strip is probably about 200lbs lighter after i take off all the bondo