Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#21,442 ·
Finally got around to relocating the winch solenoid out of the elements and splash areas, and ran extra wiring in the cab for remote switches. Next, remove dash, replace all the lamps and control cables.

#21,446 ·
Replaced idler pulley for optional a/c and finished up painting and installing hardtop. The local parts houses didn't seem to have the lower idler pulley for optional a/c in their systems. Had to remove the one in the Jeep measure and purchase a similar one. Ended up being polycarbonate versus steel but it's finally quiet again. Or at least as quiet as usual.

#21,447 ·
Ran a compression test on the 258 for the first time since I bought her:

1 - 128
2 - 125
3 - 135
4 - 148
5 - 135
6 - 138

#2 plug has a fair amount of oil and deposits on it. I think the rings may be gone there. But compression is still decent. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21,449 ·

1 - 128
2 - 125
3 - 135
4 - 148
5 - 135
6 - 138

#2 plug has a fair amount of oil and deposits on it. I think the rings may be gone there. But compression is still decent. Any thoughts?

Rule is 10% is max between highest and lowest, so as long as in that range, you are OK. Figure 14.8 is the number, 148-15 (I rounded for easier math) means anything below 133 is suspect.

#21,450 ·
Finally got around to relocating the winch solenoid out of the elements and splash areas, and ran extra wiring in the cab for remote switches. Next, remove dash, replace all the lamps and control cables.[/QUOTEi want to relocate solenoid box to under hood and control switches inside cab on dash
Don't put them on the dash, they are useless there. Seatbelted in, you can't reach them.
I have winch controls on my center console that I can easily reach with my right hand. That way I can drive, and still use the winch controls. Comes in handy when you are laying over on your side, and need to use the winch, and drive.

#21,451 ·

1 - 128
2 - 125
3 - 135
4 - 148
5 - 135
6 - 138

Head gasket leak between 1 and 2 - ?

#21,452 ·
Don't put them on the dash, they are useless there. Seatbelted in, you can't reach them.

I have winch controls on my center console that I can easily reach with my right hand. That way I can drive, and still use the winch controls. Comes in handy when you are laying over on your side, and need to use the winch, and drive.
I see what you did there...

#21,453 ·
I installed a set of these about a week ago...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332022930089?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Plug and play...easy install. BUT...for some odd reason, I had a heck of a time trying to adjust them. I mean ridiculous!

So, with the lights turned on (very bright!), I peered inside the glass housing, just for the heck of it. I noticed that one of the bulbs was installed upside down, in the glass housing!

The glass housing says "TOP" on it, so I know the orientation was correct.

One of the bulbs (inside the housing) was 180 degrees out from the other.

So, I took the "bad" headlight out of the jeep, and tried to take the bulb out and re-install it in the housing, corrected.

I got the H4 (bulb) assembly out, but I couldn't get the bulb itself out to rotate it without fear of breaking something.

I put it back together (still wrong!), and installed the headlight assembly back into the jeep UPSIDE DOWN, so that the bulb would be in the correct orientation.

I aimed it as best as I could (it's actually pretty good), but it goes up my keyster a mile.

So, I figured that before I left negative feedback, I'd tell the seller what happened, so that they could redeem themselves. This was on Jan. 27th.

So far, no response from them. Negative feedback is next.

Here's my message to them...

New message to: octane_lighting

Hello.

I just bought a set of these lights from you.I just wanted to let you know that I'm a little disappointed in them, for several reasons.Before I explain, please believe me when I say that it takes quite a bit for me to criticize anything.I installed them in my 1979 Jeep CJ 5. Install was plug and play. Nice and easy.I shone the lights on my garage door to adjust the pattern. i have done this before, with conventional lights...no problem.I couldn't figure out why these were giving me a hard time. I "settled" for what I ended up with.
This wasn't good, so I decided to investigate further. One bulb was installed upside down. The bulbs were 180 degrees out from each other with the word "TOP" in the correct position.I took it apart to try to rotate the bulb. I wasn't able to do so. I re-installed them back into my Jeep, but I installed the "wrong one" upside down, on purpose.It's better, but...another thing. The white wire on one of the lights is loose. I taped it tight.

Rich

#21,455 ·
Too bad on the headlight Rich. It seems to never fail on these "upgrades" there is always a fly in the ointment. Hope the seller makes good but from the sound of it I doubt he does.
I'm surprised, too, Jim. This company is a BIG seller on ebay, but they also sell on Amazon, and other sites, too.

This is the kind of luck that I often have, except that I can usually fix the manufacturer's error. I did, but in a hokey way.

Rich

#21,456 ·
Washed it inside and out. Also , my valve cover was leaking a little bit and I wiped it off with brake cleaner and smeared so black rtv in there where it was leaking and lo and behold this is the second time this dubious shot in the dark worked - it stopped leaking . Now she's dry

#21,457 ·
FINALLY finished my clutch replacement in the CJ5. Some caveman must have owned this Jeep at one time. Clutch lever pivot ball was missing( there are grooves in the bellhousing where the clutch arm was pivoting on), One dowel on the bellhousing was missing, one trans bolt was stripped out too. That was the nastiest bellhousing and skid plate I've ever seen. I replaced it with a LUK diaphragm unit from rock auto. Great price on the kit from them. Cleaned up the Xfer case and trans and painted them to make it easier to spot any leaks.

#21,458 ·
FINALLY finished my clutch replacement in the CJ5. Some caveman must have owned this Jeep at one time. Clutch lever pivot ball was missing( there are grooves in the bellhousing where the clutch arm was pivoting on), One dowel on the bellhousing was missing, one trans bolt was stripped out too. That was the nastiest bellhousing and skid plate I've ever seen. I replaced it with a LUK diaphragm unit from rock auto. Great price on the kit from them. Cleaned up the Xfer case and trans and painted them to make it easier to spot any leaks.
Funny.

#21,459 ·
Did you get a new pivot installed?

78 CJ5 with a 86 5.0HO, DX3 ECU from 88 Mark VII