What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 1000 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #14986
Thbugman
1978 CJ7 

I also put a Aussie locker in my Dana 30.

Thbugman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #14987
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

....Page #1000

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #14988
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

1k woohoo
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #14989
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thbugman View Post
I also put a Aussie locker in my Dana 30.
Did you do that yourself? If so, how'd it go? I'm looking at do that same setup in the front.
D30 Front (Aussie Locker), AMC 20
MojoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #14990
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Over the course of the last week I got my homeowner Snowbear plow mounted using a front receiver hitch type mount. Had to change the very nice brand new front bumper unfortunately Plowed my 200' steep driveway with it, fussing with the plow over and over, which I expected to do. Took about 45 minutes total.

This Jeep is very recent to me and I had only driven it a couple of miles until now, so plowing with it was a real trial by fire.

I found that the oil pressure settled out at 10psi idle and only 20psi at anything above idle on the happy side the temp on my new mechanical gauge was steady at 200 degrees so I was pleased with that. The radiator was obviously old, so I was wondering how it would be.

Also on the downside the clutch was gradually disengaging less and less, by the time I was done I just about couldn't get in to reverse, so I was glad to be finished when I was. I suspect the clutch linkage was bending or seating in to what is probably warn out grooves and oval holes.

The Jeep was a frame off rebuild by the PO who is a very nice guy and a member here. He had only put about 350 miles on it after the rebuild, and he warned me that I would need to go over the entire thing to make sure all bolts are tight, nothing was missed, and so on, so having the clutch linkage issue isn't really a surprise. The clutch was not replaced, so I really doubt the disengagement problem is anything other than the linkage.

The low oil pressure was a very disappointing surprise, but no promises were made about the condition of the engine, so it's just bad luck. I need to contact the PO and see what he knows about the engine, like what it came out of, a guess at mileage if known, if anything that was done to it during the frame off rebuild other than a nice paint job on the engine and the obvious new carb and parts like that. If he reads this, and he probably will, maybe he will PM me with that info

Also the used homeowner plow needs some modifications to work properly both because of some hacks that were done to it sometime in its history, and because it was never designed to be mounted on a vehicle that sits so high up.

It's cool that this thread hit 1000 pages, it's a nice place to post things like this without starting a build thread
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #14991
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2
JS what does that mean in real terms. If you go from a disk drum, manual master cylinder non power brake to hydroboost disk disk, should the prop valve be changed? Im using the 300zx set up and while it will stop, its not clamping as hard as fronts... Is that prop valve???
Yes, what people call the proportioning valve is really more than that on a disc/drum CJ. It has metering controls so that the disk and drums start brake at the same time. With a disk/disk setup, you don't need the complicated metering delay stuff. Just a simple proportioning valve.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #14992
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee
Over the course of the last week I got my homeowner Snowbear plow mounted using a front receiver hitch type mount. Had to change the very nice brand new front bumper unfortunately Plowed my 200' steep driveway with it, fussing with the plow over and over, which I expected to do. Took about 45 minutes total. This Jeep is very recent to me and I had only driven it a couple of miles until now, so plowing with it was a real trial by fire. I found that the oil pressure settled out at 10psi idle and only 20psi at anything above idle on the happy side the temp on my new mechanical gauge was steady at 200 degrees so I was pleased with that. The radiator was obviously old, so I was wondering how it would be. Also on the downside the clutch was gradually disengaging less and less, by the time I was done I just about couldn't get in to reverse, so I was glad to be finished when I was. I suspect the clutch linkage was bending or seating in to what is probably warn out grooves and oval holes. The Jeep was a frame off rebuild by the PO who is a very nice guy and a member here. He had only put about 350 miles on it after the rebuild, and he warned me that I would need to go over the entire thing to make sure all bolts are tight, nothing was missed, and so on, so having the clutch linkage issue isn't really a surprise. The clutch was not replaced, so I really doubt the disengagement problem is anything other than the linkage. The low oil pressure was a very disappointing surprise, but no promises were made about the condition of the engine, so it's just bad luck. I need to contact the PO and see what he knows about the engine, like what it came out of, a guess at mileage if known, if anything that was done to it during the frame off rebuild other than a nice paint job on the engine and the obvious new carb and parts like that. If he reads this, and he probably will, maybe he will PM me with that info Also the used homeowner plow needs some modifications to work properly both because of some hacks that were done to it sometime in its history, and because it was never designed to be mounted on a vehicle that sits so high up. It's cool that this thread hit 1000 pages, it's a nice place to post things like this without starting a build thread
Pictures!

And is the oil gauge mechanical or electric?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #14993
Thbugman
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMark
Did you do that yourself? If so, how'd it go? I'm looking at do that same setup in the front.
Actually I'm lucky enough that my father n law can pretty much do anything. I helped him up till we got the carrier out of the D30. I went to work. Came back the following day and he had it back together. But the instructions do say it's fairly simple.
Thbugman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #14994
BuckeyeNative

1974 CJ5 

I recently installed them in both my Dana 30 and 44. They come with easy to follow instructions and the following link is a good reference:http://classicbroncos.com/aussie_locker.shtml
BuckeyeNative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #14995
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Put my Jeep to work for a change.

That's what I keep it for.

Ignore the junk, I'm cleaning out the barn.

The one dumpster is full of mixed steel.

The rattling is the driver side window rattling in the frame.

My next Mod

Unread 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #14996
jhughes2013
1977 CJ7 

Got my gears today. Aussie locker will be in tomorrow...
image-270602953.jpg

image-876938040.jpg

Unread 02-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #14997
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

We went out driving in the snow/ice and made a Jeep commercial... ok, so not really, but a couple of the shots ended up looking like something you might have seen in a Jeep brochure.

_
img_1685.jpg   img_1695.jpg   img_1708.jpg   img_1715.jpg   img_1716.jpg  

img_1682.jpg   img_1683.jpg   img_1690.jpg   img_1687.jpg   img_1691.jpg  

SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #14998
Speedy94c

1977 CJ5 

Got me some insurance and tags on mine today. Its still cold here so I may not get to drive it much. I will get to see if the heater works good or not with the temps only reaching 28 for a high today.
Im sick of winter I know for sure.
Speedy94c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #14999
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy
We went out driving in the snow/ice and made a Jeep commercial... ok, so not really, but a couple of the shots ended up looking like something you might have seen in a Jeep brochure.

_
Those are awesome pictures.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #15000
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
Those are awesome pictures.

Thanks, it's one of the places we often visit on our open to the public trail rides here at the Ranch called Flat-Rock Falls or Hole in the Rock Falls. Just down a trail that runs along that small creek it opens up into a much larger creek that has a solid slab rock bottom you can drive out onto (wide and only about a foot deep) which then flows over a small step falls as it narrows back down and there is a swimming hole. Actually reminds me that I still need to upload the videos from when Destination Polaris the TV show where they go on trail rides to highlight places where people can to go trail riding with their ATV, SxS, and UTV. They came here and filmed an episode for their upcoming season here at the ranch. We had to promise that we would not upload them to YouTube until it was almost time for the 2014 show season to start airing on Fox Sports Networks.

www.facebook.com/SandtownRanch

www.youtube.com/SouthernGypsy

_
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.