What did you do to prep fiberglass body before installing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to prep fiberglass body before installing?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

What did you do to prep fiberglass body before installing?

What work did you do, what cuts and holes did you make before installing a new glass body?

I undercoated mine, cut shifter floor hole (smaller than stock), firewall steering hole, brake hole, and electric harness pass through. I only have a yj tub to model after. Anything else I need to do before bolting the 4wd body on?

Not sure how precise heater core and blotter motor holes need to be.

Unread 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage
What work did you do, what cuts and holes did you make before installing a new glass body?

I undercoated mine, cut shifter floor hole (smaller than stock), firewall steering hole, brake hole, and electric harness pass through. I only have a yj tub to model after. Anything else I need to do before bolting the 4wd body on?

Not sure how precise heater core and blotter motor holes need to be.
Anyone with this challenge or link to a detailed fiberglass tub install? 4wd install video was worthless.
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The heater holes need to be damn accurate as there are no adjustments between the fresh air intake to the blower motor. Only thing flexible is the defrost.

It's a pain trying to get the heater in when the holes a a little off.

I would get a piece of cardboard and trace out the openings and mounting screws.

After cutting open new holes, put a layer of epoxy over it to seal the edges.

After I drilled holes for the frame mounts, I sealed those hole back up also so waster does not get in. Same with drain holes.

Drain holes?
Yeo. First time I got caught in a down pore, I quickly drilled two holes for drains. No un driving a bathtub around.

Don't forget speedometer cable hose and parking brake hose.

I tore the steel reinforcement plate off the old metal tub and bolted it on the fiberglass tub. Makes lining up brakes and steering column and firewall plug brake and lutch assembly very easy. Those spot welds pop easily and you hardly bend the reinforcement plate.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I had a lot of trouble being able to reaching thru the plastic to where I had to drill my holes in the floor. And it was a pain getting my old firewall (that I cut from my old tub)... bolted to the new tub, to use as a template.
Finally, when I went to my neighbors to borrow a holesaw for the body mounts, he suggested that I take it out of the wooden shipping cage!
Just follow Johns advice, you'll be fine. Measure 2x, cut once.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
The heater holes need to be damn accurate as there are no adjustments between the fresh air intake to the blower motor. Only thing flexible is the defrost.

It's a pain trying to get the heater in when the holes a a little off.

I would get a piece of cardboard and trace out the openings and mounting screws.

After cutting open new holes, put a layer of epoxy over it to seal the edges.

After I drilled holes for the frame mounts, I sealed those hole back up also so waster does not get in. Same with drain holes.

Drain holes?
Yeo. First time I got caught in a down pore, I quickly drilled two holes for drains. No un driving a bathtub around.

Don't forget speedometer cable hose and parking brake hose.

I tore the steel reinforcement plate off the old metal tub and bolted it on the fiberglass tub. Makes lining up brakes and steering column and firewall plug brake and lutch assembly very easy. Those spot welds pop easily and you hardly bend the reinforcement plate.
Thanks. My biggest challenge is that I don't have the original tub. I have a YJ tub only.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well a YJ uses the same heater as a CJ except for the 76 & 77 years.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
Well a YJ uses the same heater as a CJ except for the 76 & 77 years.
Heater motor? What about the placement of core? I have both heater boxes too and planned to use stock with Chevy motor upgrade. I planned to cut holes and then drill bolt holes as needed.
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

This doesn't give dimensions, but it does show a labeled firewall. You would know what to expect.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/an...ewall-1031195/

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Hutch are you saying that you "cut it twice and its still too short?"
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
This doesn't give dimensions, but it does show a labeled firewall. You would know what to expect.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/an...ewall-1031195/
Perfect. Did you drill bolt holes ahead of time too? Any logic to the color coding?
Unread 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
Perfect. Did you drill bolt holes ahead of time too? Any logic to the color coding?
No logic to the color coding as I am aware of... probably justy to make it more distinguishable.

Our Jeep had a glass tub installed when we bought it. Everything the PO had mounted was already cut/drilled. However, I ended up closing up most of the holes, leaving only the main things like column, master cylinder, clutch. Everything else I drilled myself. There is no real magic or mystery to making the holes. Most of the time it's the shortest route, or the most efficient run. Don't get hung up on it. The things that MUST be correct are those that I mentioned, and I'll throw the fuse box in there. There was no heater box, and we didn't install one, so I am no help there.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I had heard that 4Wheel Parts used to have a template you could get from them.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

I used the cardboard template and it worked for the heater mounting the only pain was that the bolts are not long enough to go through. The only part I butchered was the clutch rod... oh well got some patching to do...
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
TJs83CJ7

I found the steering column difficult to line up. I installed the dash and then mounted the steering and pedals off of it. I have pictures somewhere that I will post.
TJs83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

If there is any way you can get a hold of the metal plate from the firewall, it will help you get things lined up. I'm talking about the plate that has the VIN tag riveted to it. If you need a picture of the firewall of my tub, with the plate installed, I'll be glad to post one up. Also, I have a spare plate.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.