What is this dial on the fuel line? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What is this dial on the fuel line?

We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
Ctjeep200
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What is this dial on the fuel line?

Anyone know what this dial is on my amc150?

image_1430465324461.jpg  
Ctjeep200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Fuel flow regulator http://www.socalautoparts.com/produc...ulator-p-15291
Unread 05-01-2015, 03:55 AM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Set for 3.5psi pressure which probably means you have a Weber carb and the regulator is not needed if you have your stock fuel filter with a return line and a Viton tipped needle and seat for the carb.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Ctjeep200
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, thanks guys
Ctjeep200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
CSP

This one regulates fuel flow, not pressure.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Actually I think it's used to dial up the horsepower on the 151. I would crank it all the way up.
Unread 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

CTjeep,

I have a 1984 CJ with the 150 ci engine, man I would be careful turning up that dial,

I do not think I could handle anymore power from the little 150 ci. Ha, Ha

mine runs ok with the weber carb and std fuel pump and std fuel filter, but not too much power.

however, with the front end worn out on the old jeep, it runs plenty fast for me.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Actually I think it's used to dial up the horsepower on the 151. I would crank it all the way up.
Now that ^^^ was funny right there. Bout spit out my drink.

I've had bad luck with those dial type regulators in the past. I've used a few over the years and every single one sprang a leak on me at the most inopportune time. My theory is, other than being made of ultra el cheapo materials, the diaphragm doesn't like the heat of the engine bay.

I'd do what Keith460 said, or if you just gotta use one, move it out of the engine bay away from any heat source. Also I'd recommend this one as an upgrade, if you need to have one.

http://www.holley.com/products/fuel_...s/parts/12-804

I stuck one of those on Dad's 151 powered Jeep 3 yrs ago and countless adventures later, never a drop leaked nor any other issue with it.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yep, those regulators are cheap, built cheap and sold cheap. If you want a good one, spend the money!

I actually bought one from Weber at about $65.00 and never used it after reading the many comments on here about the stock fuel filter and Viton tipped needle approach. Much better. So, somewhere in my parts bin is a brand new Weber regulator with '0' miles on it because I was a fool and eager to purchase. Same way I feel about the Weber 32/36 carb, works good but is too small for the 258 and should have been a Weber 38.

Unread 05-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
.. Same way I feel about the Weber 32/36 carb, works good but is too small for the 258 and should have been a Weber 38...]
This is quite an admission from a person who did a great deal of thoughtful research on his rebuild! Sometimes the best knowledge is obtained from mistakes. I've made my share of mistakes, that's for sure. Were I to work on another carbureted 258, I'd go right to the Weber 38. I've been very pleased with mine after wrangling with and dumping money into used Motocraft carbs.

I can also feel your pain about having purchased parts that were never used. I have a few of those as well.
Unread 05-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #11
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I was thinking at the time when fuel prices were spiking to over $4.00 p/gal. that I should go for the economical version of the Weber over the 'outlaw' version. I don't regret the purchase but after putting a Carter BBD back on, it was like damn! The Carter really woke that engine up.

Unread 05-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I was thinking at the time when fuel prices were spiking to over $4.00 p/gal. that I should go for the economical version of the Weber over the 'outlaw' version. I don't regret the purchase but after putting a Carter BBD back on, it was like damn! The Carter really woke that engine up.
The price of gas certainly does drive decisions. My 17 year old pickup experienced a transmission failure right around the time gas peaked near $4.00 a gallon in Houston. Up to that point, I could never bring myself to put in more than about 10 gallons because I did not like buying more than $40 of gas at once. I ended up buying a used VW Jetta with a 1.8 liter turbo engine which would be fun to drive and have a much lower fuel cost. Fast forward to the last few years and I drive the CJ so much (and the Jetta so little) that the great efficiency of the Jetta doesn't offset the CJ fuel costs very much.

The BBD certainly does have a bad reputation, but I figure that they probably worked OK for CJs when they were new or lightly used. Fast forward 30 years and most CJs are going to have enough problems that the BBD is only one part of the equation. Throw in a less than great ignition system, grounding problems, and vacuum leaks, and you can't blame everything on the Carter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.