What is this device (radio wiring) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By gmakra1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-27-2017, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

What is this device (radio wiring)

Started pulling wires to wire in a new stereo and found this connected via a pretty large gauge black wire from the harness to the stereo. I have no idea what the red piece is next to the capacitor.

Name:  image-456437076.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  480.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2017, 04:49 AM
gmakra1

Its a noise suppressor and it filters out ignition noise from the radio.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-2017, 07:17 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If there is only one and going to the power input, then I think gmaka1 has it right,

It there is two, then it could be a crossover for the speakers. But it would depend upon your setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2017, 10:56 AM
RadioRadio
1980 CJ5 

Yep...looks like a ferrite choke.

RadioRadio | 1980 CJ-5
post #5 of 8 Old 05-27-2017, 07:43 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRadio
Yep...looks like a ferrite choke.
Ferrite?
That choke looks like its wound on an iron core not ferrite.

Just a simple LC choke.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

ELI the ICE man. That saying has stuck in my head since 1975, Navy BEE school. Voltage lags current in and inductive circuit ELI, Current lags voltage in a capacitive circuit ICE. Its a noise filter as other have said. By now the capacitor has gone bad, I would chunk it, no real need for them with today's gear.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-30-2017, 06:04 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
ELI the ICE man. That saying has stuck in my head since 1975, Navy BEE school. Voltage lags current in and inductive circuit ELI, Current lags voltage in a capacitive circuit ICE. Its a noise filter as other have said. By now the capacitor has gone bad, I would chunk it, no real need for them with today's gear.
You've never parked next to my jeep with my engine idling. Swamps AM and FM bands on any car withing 20'.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-08-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I'm putting in a new alpine head unit Do you think it's necessary?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.