what to chose? need a lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > what to chose? need a lift

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
MuRdOcGT
1979 CJ7 

what to chose? need a lift

First of all! Hi I am new in this forum... I have a cj7 79 everything is Stock, I'm running 31's, I am rebulding this, I am doing right now body and paint..

Well I am thinking to get a lift kit.. My jeep has stock springs,stocks shocks.. So here is my quetion..

I'm outside US so I want to get a really good kit, I've been reading a LOT, a I want to u guys help me to make my decision... I'm thinking to get OME 2.5" or RC 4" or BDS
3"

I think tha BDS just works with hydraulic shocks! Please correct me if I'm wrong..

I must say that I will use my jeep for daily ride but I'm not saying that I won't use it off-road heheh!!

So please guys help me to chose! I will appreciate it a lot!!!!!thanks!!!!!!! Have a nice day!

MuRdOcGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Welcome to the forums!

Are you sticking with 31's? A four inch lift will look a bit silly IMO with 31's. As far as quality you get what you pay for. Rubicon Express does make a great "complete" kit. The ride quality is better than all the others but it is the most expensive.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

If you're going to keep the 31 inch tires, I'd go with the OME.

If you get a 4" lift, you'll probably need to make some steering and driveline adjustments. The 2.5" lift will give you more ground/tire clearance without needing those extra adjustments.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
If you're going to keep the 31 inch tires, I'd go with the OME.

If you get a 4" lift, you'll probably need to make some steering and driveline adjustments. The 2.5" lift will give you more ground/tire clearance without needing those extra adjustments.
I second this opinion. I have a 2.5" BDS and it's great, but I think I would go with OME on my next Jeep. Reason being, I would like to have the wider springs in front. Otherwise, BDS was a great value.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
federalofcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Are you sticking with 31's? A four inch lift will look a bit silly IMO with 31's. As far as quality you get what you pay for. Rubicon Express does make a great "complete" kit. The ride quality is better than all the others but it is the most expensive.
I think i'll have to agree I have the Rubicon Express 2.5 in lift on my 85 CJ with 31's and I love the way it looks and rides. But it was expensive.
federalofcr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
drewster
1973 CJ5 

If your more of an on road daily driver maybe a softer suspension would be better for you. I personally like skyjacker. We did a 4" skyjacker suspension, shackle reverse, and adding power steering. Our rig really handles great now. Good luck.
17.jpg  
[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]15% OFF STORE WIDE!!![/COLOR][/SIZE] CHECK OUT[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B][URL="http://www.hotjeepparts.com"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.hotjeepparts.com"][COLOR="Red"]www.HOTJEEPPARTS.COM[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
drewster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
MuRdOcGT
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys! For your replies..

I'm sticking 31's maybe in 2 years I'd go 33's but that's not a fact...

Where can I find 2.5 rubicon express lif kit? I just have read about 4.5 :s

Definitely I am going to buy a 2.5" or 3" no more. I don't have a lot of money but my budget it's around 800-1300 ( I need shocks, bushings,springs, maybe shaackles I think mine they're ok!)

Thank you again, waiting your suggestions..
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
MuRdOcGT
1979 CJ7 

Guys I think I will get RC 2.5" it's a lot of money less than OME.. What do you think? And what about this set up

Cj to YJ spring conversion kit from Rocky Road outfitters
Entire 2.5" YJ lift kit
31's tires...

Thanks!
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
BradIXXI

Sorry, I don't mean to high-jack this thread but I have the reverse issue.
I bought a '85 CJ-7 that has a 4" lift and would like to bring it down a bit, maybe to a 2.5". I saw MuRdOcGT's post and looked at Rocky Road Outfitters website. They state that you can put YJ springs on a CJ and it will greatly improve driving performance.
1. Is this true? Will this keep my Jeep from changing lanes when I shift gears?
2. How does one go about lowering a lift?

Thanks for your help!
BradIXXI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #10
MuRdOcGT
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradIXXI View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to high-jack this thread but I have the reverse issue.
I bought a '85 CJ-7 that has a 4" lift and would like to bring it down a bit, maybe to a 2.5". I saw MuRdOcGT's post and looked at Rocky Road Outfitters website. They state that you can put YJ springs on a CJ and it will greatly improve driving performance.
1. Is this true? Will this keep my Jeep from changing lanes when I shift gears?
2. How does one go about lowering a lift?

Thanks for your help!
don worry! what do you think about rocky road outfiiters now? ive read and they have very bad reputation.
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

if rc = rough country, most of the folks who have had rough country springs didn't care for them much. very rough riding. i'd go ome, bds or rubicon express. love my bds springs.
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

i HAVE BDS VERY SATISFIED
mknight759 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
chesapeakcowboy
1986 CJ7 

You get what you pay for..re is more expensive but everyone I know that have spent the money are glad they did. Shackle reversl will also make one ride better. The wider springs are better for obvious reasons, but alot of the steering issues come incorrect steering geometry. You get it right and you will love it and enjoy driving it, you go cheap or half way and you will fight it forever. Save your money and do it right one time.
chesapeakcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
drewster
1973 CJ5 

Agreed! Just about every project is time consuming and a lot of projects are costly. Do it right the 1st time around. I personally like skyjacker. Good on road and great off. Rough county is a rough ride! Good luck whatever you decide.
[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]15% OFF STORE WIDE!!![/COLOR][/SIZE] CHECK OUT[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B][URL="http://www.hotjeepparts.com"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.hotjeepparts.com"][COLOR="Red"]www.HOTJEEPPARTS.COM[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
drewster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

One more for BDS.

Just tell them when you order it that you want 2.5" springs in the front instead of the 2" ones. You don't need a "YJ spring kit", you just need 2 front shackle hangers (the rear set of front spring hangers are already 2.5") , 2 shackles and 2 spring plates for 2.5" springs. Much cheaper than buying a "kit".

if you use 2 sets of rear CJ springs, you don't even have to move the front shackle hangers. If you use YJ springs in front you will have to move your front shackle hangers about 1" forward (easy to do).

Tags
kit , lift , ome , rc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.