what is this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > what is this?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what is this?

I was doing some work on my alternator today (trying to get it to charge the batt). I'm pretty sure I got it working but found this and have no clue what it is. Any ideas? It's mounted towards the front of the passenger fender. I located the voltage regulator but it's further back. This guy only has one black or dark grey wire coming out of it.

forumrunner_20130415_211327.jpg

forumrunner_20130415_211313.jpg

jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

That's your ignition module/computer. Called the ignition control unit in the FSM.
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well it could be either of these:

Left is the idle speed controller, right is a prestolite ignition control module.

Since it's a 77, it's probably not the idle control so I agree with JeffreyCharles and it's an unused ICM for a Prestolite Distributor.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys. I hated to leave it just sitting there not connected. Guess that means it's coming out. One last question, I suppose. While waiting for the alternator there was and extra grey wire on the alternator itself. Other than that I had a red (I suppose to charge the battery ), a black ground and a green (to the solenoid). From what I read the grey goes to the ignition and there is a purple wire cut at about the alternator that I traced to the top of the fuse block. I also left it unhooked as my wiring is a rats nest and I just threw in a push button start to get it running. Any thoughts on the grey/purple wire?
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Jamison,
if your jeep runs and that part is not connected, I would take it off and gently place it in a box marked:

"parts that came off the jeep and were not needed at the time"

under no reason to throw it away at this time.

someday, down the road, you may hit a big bump and the jeep stops running, because the (whatever it is, is not hooked up)

Good luck,

its about time to get the tops off our old jeeps around western KY
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

purple is usually temp sending unit and usually comes from that area.....
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

be really really careful with that, its a TDM detonator, set to explode if the second amendment is taken away...
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

^--- this but I was thinking, Be really careful with that its a ICM and is set to explode from the factory if you look at it wrong. During my build I broke down and bought a DUI to get rid of that POS.
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax View Post
Jamison,
if your jeep runs and that part is not connected, I would take it off and gently place it in a box marked:

"parts that came off the jeep and were not needed at the time"

under no reason to throw it away at this time.

someday, down the road, you may hit a big bump and the jeep stops running, because the (whatever it is, is not hooked up)

Good luck,

its about time to get the tops off our old jeeps around western KY
Definitely a good idea. I originally got the jeep when i was 16 and had no clue what I was doing. i had pulled off anything i could get two with a set of wrenches and a pocket knife. Left everything just scattered around. Thankfully, my dad was awesome enough to know i would realize my mistakes down the road and picked up the pieces and organized them in a big set of drawers with individual compartments. And now that I'm trying to get it back running again, I have had many scenarios where i think I need something and just have to go shopping in the drawers. Thanks dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanchew View Post
purple is usually temp sending unit and usually comes from that area.....
Thanks for the heads up. I think i have a schematic of my fuse block somewhere ( from trying to wire up the push button ignition). I'll try to trace it starting from there.
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

According to my manual, solid purple is oil pressure sender.

Purple w/white tracer is temp sender.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
According to my manual, solid purple is oil pressure sender.

Purple w/white tracer is temp sender.

Good luck,

Matt
Cool. Thanks. Which manual do you have?
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I have a couple, but I looked that up in my Haynes.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.