Welding spring perchs to front diff to correct spring placement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Welding spring perchs to front diff to correct spring placement

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Ironhorse6
1983 CJ7 

Welding spring perchs to front diff to correct spring placement

PO put a spring over lift on the jeep. the rear diff is fine, they added perchs to the top but left the bottom on so i just put it back with the proper 4" springs

now to the front....they took the original perchs off

im putting on 4" lift springs and new shocks but i have to weld new perchs for it to work

im worried about getting them in the right location to have proper drive line angle. currently the pinon is angled upward giving it a neutral caster. i still have to put the tranny and transfer back in first so make sure i have good drive line angle

any lessons learned is appreciated

Ironhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
CSP

The front one on the passenger side is cast as part of the differential if it's the stock axle. It would be very difficult to remove, so check again. If it's there that's the basis for the angle for the drivers side perch. If it's gone, make the SUA perches parallel to the SOA perches.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Ironhorse6
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The front one on the passenger side is cast as part of the differential if it's the stock axle. It would be very difficult to remove, so check again. If it's there that's the basis for the angle for the drivers side perch. If it's gone, make the SUA perches parallel to the SOA perches.
no perch on either side

i need to check caster angle i believe because the pinon is angled upward and it looks like i have neutral or negative caster. parallel wont work if thats the case....guess in need to measure angle....thanks
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
CSP

Measuring is the best bet if you don't trust the existing perches. Make sure that weight is on the axle when you do it. Put a perch in the approximate location and bolt everything together before welding. Get weight on it, set the angle and tack the perches in place before removing anything.
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Ironhorse6
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Measuring is the best bet if you don't trust the existing perches. Make sure that weight is on the axle when you do it. Put a perch in the approximate location and bolt everything together before welding. Get weight on it, set the angle and tack the perches in place before removing anything.
Thanks, thats what i was thinking but needing some confirmation here

in order to get weight on it i will have to bolt the everything together..the axel to the springs with the "loose" perch underneath and check angle from there. unless there is another way to get weight on it, thats the direction i plan on going. i also have 2 and 2.5 degree shims but since im welding the perchs i think i can avoid that by getting it right the first time with perch
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
CSP

So what happened to the cast in perch (I'm assuming that this is a stock Dana 30 axle)? Did they grind it off?
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse6

Thanks, thats what i was thinking but needing some confirmation here

in order to get weight on it i will have to bolt the everything together..the axel to the springs with the "loose" perch underneath and check angle from there. unless there is another way to get weight on it, thats the direction i plan on going. i also have 2 and 2.5 degree shims but since im welding the perchs i think i can avoid that by getting it right the first time with perch
Rotating the front axle will change your caster so be careful. It sucks to muscle everything in place before tacking welds but it ensures proper alignment.
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Ironhorse6
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
So what happened to the cast in perch (I'm assuming that this is a stock Dana 30 axle)? Did they grind it off?
yes....i assume so. only thing left is rust marks
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
CSP

Watch your perch height so that the passenger and drivers side perches are the same height from the centerline of the axle tube. You'll have to raise the drivers side one higher from the tube to make up for the height of the cast diff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.