Welding spring perchs to front diff to correct spring placement - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Ironhorse6
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bloomfield
Posts: 60
Welding spring perchs to front diff to correct spring placement

PO put a spring over lift on the jeep. the rear diff is fine, they added perchs to the top but left the bottom on so i just put it back with the proper 4" springs

now to the front....they took the original perchs off

im putting on 4" lift springs and new shocks but i have to weld new perchs for it to work

im worried about getting them in the right location to have proper drive line angle. currently the pinon is angled upward giving it a neutral caster. i still have to put the tranny and transfer back in first so make sure i have good drive line angle

any lessons learned is appreciated

Ironhorse6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 AM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,342
The front one on the passenger side is cast as part of the differential if it's the stock axle. It would be very difficult to remove, so check again. If it's there that's the basis for the angle for the drivers side perch. If it's gone, make the SUA perches parallel to the SOA perches.
CSP is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Ironhorse6
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bloomfield
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The front one on the passenger side is cast as part of the differential if it's the stock axle. It would be very difficult to remove, so check again. If it's there that's the basis for the angle for the drivers side perch. If it's gone, make the SUA perches parallel to the SOA perches.
no perch on either side

i need to check caster angle i believe because the pinon is angled upward and it looks like i have neutral or negative caster. parallel wont work if thats the case....guess in need to measure angle....thanks
Ironhorse6 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,342
Measuring is the best bet if you don't trust the existing perches. Make sure that weight is on the axle when you do it. Put a perch in the approximate location and bolt everything together before welding. Get weight on it, set the angle and tack the perches in place before removing anything.
CSP is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Ironhorse6
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bloomfield
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Measuring is the best bet if you don't trust the existing perches. Make sure that weight is on the axle when you do it. Put a perch in the approximate location and bolt everything together before welding. Get weight on it, set the angle and tack the perches in place before removing anything.
Thanks, thats what i was thinking but needing some confirmation here

in order to get weight on it i will have to bolt the everything together..the axel to the springs with the "loose" perch underneath and check angle from there. unless there is another way to get weight on it, thats the direction i plan on going. i also have 2 and 2.5 degree shims but since im welding the perchs i think i can avoid that by getting it right the first time with perch
Ironhorse6 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,342
So what happened to the cast in perch (I'm assuming that this is a stock Dana 30 axle)? Did they grind it off?
CSP is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM
nshefbuch
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: piqua
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse6

Thanks, thats what i was thinking but needing some confirmation here

in order to get weight on it i will have to bolt the everything together..the axel to the springs with the "loose" perch underneath and check angle from there. unless there is another way to get weight on it, thats the direction i plan on going. i also have 2 and 2.5 degree shims but since im welding the perchs i think i can avoid that by getting it right the first time with perch
Rotating the front axle will change your caster so be careful. It sucks to muscle everything in place before tacking welds but it ensures proper alignment.

CJ7/SOA YJ leaf/5.3LS/t18a/d300 clock/37"Pitbull Rockers/H1's/14 bolt/d44 ARB 4.10 High Steer
nshefbuch is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Ironhorse6
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bloomfield
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
So what happened to the cast in perch (I'm assuming that this is a stock Dana 30 axle)? Did they grind it off?
yes....i assume so. only thing left is rust marks
Ironhorse6 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,342
Watch your perch height so that the passenger and drivers side perches are the same height from the centerline of the axle tube. You'll have to raise the drivers side one higher from the tube to make up for the height of the cast diff.
CSP is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
front spring plates with YJ spring conversion dharmabum Jeep CJ Forum 6 04-19-2011 10:46 AM
Front spring pack and rear spring pack billybooster2 Jeep CJ Forum 1 04-07-2011 09:05 PM
Welding on new spring plates & truss questions MoC Jeep CJ Forum 12 08-29-2010 01:38 PM
Spring mount to frame placement Skerr Jeep CJ Forum 6 07-02-2009 01:30 PM
has anyone used the yj leaf spring conversion for a cj and or axle over spring kits? rhino1 Jeep CJ Forum 0 08-11-2004 08:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome