Welding axles with what rod? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Welding axles with what rod?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-26-2002, 07:40 PM   #1
Lujan

Welding axles with what rod?

I am planning on installing a Dana 44 on the front of my CJ7 using spring over method. What type of welding rod was used by the members, when welding on the pumpkin? Is it cast steel or cast iron? I am looking at the UTP8 rod for cast iron, using it will have to preheat the iron. What have you guys done.

tnks

Bert

Lujan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2002, 11:46 PM   #2
CSP

No need to weld anything to the pumpkin. Just grind the housing itself to be the spring perch. Same thing as what the factory did for the SUA perch.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2002, 02:21 PM   #3
Lujan

First thanks for the reply. I have seen only in pictures where the perches were welded. I don't want to grind too much and compromise the strength of the casting. I have been measuring the area to see how much I can mill off.

I only heard of some of the speciality shops cutting and welding on the bottem of the pumkins to make a high clearance axle like the Dana 60.

What have you guys done or seen done?

Bert
Unread 10-27-2002, 08:02 PM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I routinely weld cast iron to steel using my MIG welder. It is necessary to properly pre-heat the cast to obtain good results.
We used to use a rod called ni-rod to perform this using a stick welder. I assisted on a trail repair earlier this year and there is some super new rod that is now available.

Here are a couple shots of an SOA perch I welded to the cast D/44 pumpkin using the MIG welder.

Last edited by OldJeepguy; 10-27-2002 at 08:05 PM..
OldJeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:36 PM   #5
JIM79CJ7

you can use Ny rod but preheat it . As usual Oldjeepguy ( Steve ) Shows us a perfect example of quality workmanship . I too use the mig for just about everything .
JIM :{>

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2002, 04:15 PM   #6
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by JIM79CJ7
you can use Ny rod but preheat it . As usual Oldjeepguy ( Steve ) Shows us a perfect example of quality workmanship . I too use the mig for just about everything .

Thanks Jim!

Had a health issue that kept me off the forums for a bit. I'm back now and am planning several cage jobs (8 actually) in the next few months. Maybe I'll feature some of the work in the "Jeep Projects" section.

I've been looking for some more pics of steel to cast welding jobs but am drawing a blank. One of the best examples was an anti-wrap bar on a SOA YJ with a D/60 - this is a product that works better than ANY I've seen - problem is the owner/designer doesn't want the pics out since he may be manufacturing them....
Unread 10-28-2002, 07:16 PM   #7
Lujan

Cool pictures and good looking welds. I will talk to welding supplier to see if they have the Ni rod. They have UTP 8 which has a high content of nickel. This rod cost $55 a pound. That's why I want to see what works before I spent that kind of money.
I do have another axle that I can try welding a chuck of steel to see if works.

Any more hints will help.

Thanks to all that have share their knowledge.

Bert
Unread 10-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #8
JIM79CJ7

Quote:
Originally posted by OldJeepguy

Thanks Jim!

Had a health issue that kept me off the forums for a bit. I'm back now and am planning several cage jobs (8 actually) in the next few months.
No problem Steve ! I have mucho respect for your work , I think I have come to a desicion on bender , I will be going with pro-tool 1 shot bender As far as all the cage jobs go , I would love to come down and watch or give you a hand . I am certified SMAW & GMAW and I am working on getting CWI Plus I would really like to see your bender in action .

ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

Unread 10-28-2002, 08:42 PM   #9
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I'll let you know when we have a project going....How far are you from San Diego?
Unread 10-29-2002, 12:45 AM   #10
JIM79CJ7

Quote:
Originally posted by OldJeepguy
I'll let you know when we have a project going....How far are you from San Diego?
I am in Santa Clarita buy Magic mountain . Wife Has family out that way though so I can make a day of it . Let me know

Thanks JIM :{>

ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

Unread 11-02-2002, 04:04 PM   #11
oldcatcher

Any Recomendation for Mig Welders?

Quote:
Originally posted by JIM79CJ7

I've been researching different Mig welders for a CJ-7 project I'm
undertaking. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the
110v 135amp is big enough for any job or whether a 220v is required.

Also, are there any quality manufacturers other than Miller, Lincoln or Hobart? I would think there is but don't know.
oldcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2002, 09:02 AM   #12
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Re: Any Recomendation for Mig Welders?

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcatcher

I've been researching different Mig welders for a CJ-7 project I'm
undertaking. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the
110v 135amp is big enough for any job or whether a 220v is required.

Also, are there any quality manufacturers other than Miller, Lincoln or Hobart? I would think there is but don't know.
I've had both and I prefer the 220 volt. I currently have a 220 volt, 185 amp Millermatic 185 and it works very well.

I have seen other brands and I'm sure they work good but the problem would be parts - I would THINK the consummables would need to be standard between the brands (tips, wire etc).

Not much help but I've only owned/used the brands you mentioned...
Unread 11-03-2002, 04:10 PM   #13
oldcatcher

Thanks for the welder feedback OldJeepGuy.......

I took a look at your CJ7 restoration pic's, for the bed, is the
diamond plate you used stainless? you mentioned you hate rust
and used stainless wherever possible.

I live in the rustbelt (near Buffalo, NY) and will be restoring a
1986 CJ7, I hate rust as well, and would like to do the work once and have it rust free. I will need to do a ton of floor and body repairs, but would like to stay with metal and not go fiberglass,
just old-fashioned I guess.

So I guess I'm looking at aftermarket body panels and floor boards (or maybe fabricate out of diamond plate),
know of any good sources for these?

-Dave
oldcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2002, 04:41 PM   #14
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcatcher
Thanks for the welder feedback OldJeepGuy.......

I took a look at your CJ7 restoration pic's, for the bed, is the
diamond plate you used stainless? you mentioned you hate rust
and used stainless wherever possible.

I live in the rustbelt (near Buffalo, NY) and will be restoring a
1986 CJ7, I hate rust as well, and would like to do the work once and have it rust free. I will need to do a ton of floor and body repairs, but would like to stay with metal and not go fiberglass,
just old-fashioned I guess.

So I guess I'm looking at aftermarket body panels and floor boards (or maybe fabricate out of diamond plate),
know of any good sources for these?

-Dave
The diamond plate is regular steel with heavy primer and Herculiner to protect it. Unless you live at the beach, rust isn't much of a problem in most areas of Socal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.