WELDING AXLE TUBES - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > WELDING AXLE TUBES

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-14-2002, 06:09 PM   #1
2cjs

WELDING AXLE TUBES

Ive been reading that if u put one piece axles in a model 20 rear that u should weld the tubes.I have no problems with welding the tubes.My quesions are (1)if i dont they will break right?.(2)can i weld them without taking my rear apart?.(3)should the truss be on top or bottom?Just for info im runnin a 304 and plan to install 4.10 gears in the rear so i will probably take it apart anyway.I have moser one piece axles in the rear.One more question i am going to put 35 inch tires on her and ive been reading that 32 and 33 inch tires are the majority for rock crawling.I have a 4 inch suspention lift on her will i have tire rub?I dont mind a body lift if i need one.kenny

work smarter not harder
2cjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2002, 09:39 PM   #2
rivertrout10

I am not so sure that you HAVE to weld your axle tubes. I say this because I too have the AMC 20 rearend and have run Moser one piece axles for over two years without any breakage - also have a LockRite locker. A buddy of mine has the same set-up and has had his for four years or more - no weld and no breakage. I dont think welding is a bad idea and would certainly only be a benefit. Just thought I would share my experience without welds - take it for what it is worth.

As far as the tire size - I have the RE 4.5 lift on mine with 33's and have plenty of room for 35's. My only caution is depending on what kind of lift you have you may be able to put 35's on now but in a year or so you will have sag and your 35's may rub at that point. Suggest you do the re-gear before running 35's however - many folks complain after going with 35's without correct gearing.

Good Luck,
Derek
Unread 02-15-2002, 09:11 AM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Man that is one good look'n truss!

I hope that's one your ride, Mr. Bill.

I very much envy you. Spent three weeks in CO Springs, I though I would be moving there, but I took a different job. The 4x4 shops out there blow away the places in the Northeast, even though there are a couple of really good ones here.

Hope to drive my CJ out there one day for about a month of wheeling in CO, Utah, etc.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
2cjs

Hey mr bill that is one hell of a truss.beautiful beads i might add.Hey bill is that kindorf u used?by the way how many seconds do u suggest on the welding process?How did u mount the brake lines?they split on the tube and mount to the top of the tube u know center of top.I love that truss ,if that was kindorf u used thats cool because i can get that from work.By the way if thats kindorf was it 1 1/4" or 1 1/2 "kindorf? thanks kenny
work smarter not harder
2cjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2002, 08:32 PM   #5
junger

If I remember correctly, they told me in my welding class to be careful of welding when you have bearings. But, if you put your ground clamp between the weld and the bearings you should be ok. Personally, though, you really don't need to weld the axle tubes in the first place... several people use the 1piece axles with that mod. If you do it, throw in those 4.10 gears at the same time.

Good Luck.
-Josh
junger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.