Welders - Is the Cobra/Henrob/DHC Torch any good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Welders - Is the Cobra/Henrob/DHC Torch any good?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Welders - Is the Cobra/Henrob/DHC Torch any good?

I have wanted to get into welding for a while. Was browsing tools on CL ran across and ad for a Cobra Torch (apparently the same as a DHC or Henrob).
Looks very interesting - cuts similar to a plasma and welds just about anything but titanium. Due to the multiple functionality it would save a ton of $$$ on start up cost for fabrication.

For those of you that have seen these in real life or actually owned or used one - is it as good as advertised? Can you give some pros and cons about the rig?

For those that arent familiar with it - here are a couple links:

http://www.cobratorches.com/

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/index.htm

CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I would not try to weld most stuff with a torch like that. Especially anything thin. I would invest in a good 220V MIG and then either a set of oxy-fuel torches or plasma cutter. I find that my oxy-fuel torches have a ton of other uses besides cutting. Don't skimp on the brand of welder. Save up some money and buy a good used Miller or Lincoln. The off brands are cheaper for a reason...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty slick kit with the handgrip/etc. I've never done any welding with Oxy/Acet, although I have a PortaTorch setup for heating/cutting. MIG welding is a breeze, and for a hobbyist like me, the Hobart 140 has been fantastic. Obviously if you want to weld aluminum and titanium you'd need to go up a model or two. I've always wondered what the difficulty level is with Oxy/Acet welding.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I do a bunch of TIG welding. Oxy-Act welding is very similar, but a lot more heat is transferred. One of the biggest things to worry about with using a torch to weld with on a vehicle is catching everything else on fire. Its fine if your welding bare steel on a bench. But, for example, welding sliders on a Jeep is not going to end well....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Here is a set I just welded onto a KJ. I own my own fab shop.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

How about for building stuff like bumpers off the vehicle? It says that it will weld up to 3/8 and that is far more that I would ever need for anything I would be attaching to my CJ.

A couple things make this set up interesting for me - one is the start up cost. To have ability to cut similar to a plasma, lay down a weld similar to a Tig and weld aluminum for a start up cost of $395 plus gas and regulators is intriguing to say the least. I cant imagine getting started with a Tig machine, cutting device (gas or plasma) and needed accessories for less than 2.5K. With the Cobra/DHC there is no electrical supply to worry about either which could possibly be and additional expense for those of us weekend warriors that don't have our own shop. Another thing that interest me about this method is that is appears to be easy to learn. I've tried stick welding and I can truly say I never really got the hang of it. I can braze my arse off and this method, while different, seems to have a lot of similar characteristics.

My main concern would be that this rig does not work as advertised. If someone has actually used this method I would be interested to hear your take on it. I wont be sinking any $$$ in anytime soon but I must say - if this outfit works as billed it might ba a viable start up rig. If it doesnt I wouldnt care to waste my $$$.
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

All that is is a pistol grip cutting torch with brazing tips included.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
CSP

To get the penetration you'd need for anything structural you would end up getting the surrounding metal way too hot. There's a reason why electricity is used for welding and heat and time are the main reasons.

That thing is full of snake oil.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
To get the penetration you'd need for anything structural you would end up getting the surrounding metal way too hot. There's a reason why electricity is used for welding and heat and time are the main reasons.

That thing is full of snake oil.
Yeah - that makes a lot of sense. I like the way that thing cuts but I was a little more skeptical of the welds. I think when its time to buy I'll look around for one of the smaller MIG set ups - either a Miller, Lincoln or Hobart 140 or 180 to start off with and learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.