Weld on replacement parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weld on replacement parts?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Weld on replacement parts?

Hi, I'm just getting back into jeeping after about 12 yrs (finally divored so she can't complain about it...(-: ). Just bought a 1980 CJ7. Was wondering if anyone had used the weld on replacement body parts? Were they hard to do, cut out old or overlay etc.
Thanks,
Rick

SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
ragincajunATL

Can you weld?

that would be the hardest part!

Welcome BACK.
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

I haven't done any yet, but I have several panels waiting for me when I get to work on my 5 again next weekend. So far it looks like the hardest part will be actually welding them on, like cajun said. They are pretty thin, 19-20ga depending on who you get them from. Make sure your thin metal welding skills are up to par.
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Don't try to run a bead, do a bunch of tack welds. Jumping all over the panel to keep it from getting too hot.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Saw a really cool presentation by a professional sheet metal welder/car restorer a few years ago.

He does HIGH dollar restores on old cars (mostly rarer MG's) for a living, and had a pretty cool technique for welding in replacement panels.

He tacks the panel on one end, and sets a widening gap along the length of the panel. He supports the far end of the panel on something then.

Basically, he starts his stitch welds on one side, and just keeps going, using the welded part like a hinge.

The welding pulls the metal up into place by the time he has reached the far end of the panel.

Basically, what I am trying to say is this. He starts with the panel not aligned properly, and lets the welding pull it into place, so he has no waves or heat distortion in the panel when he is done.

Not necessarily applicable on flat Jeep panels, but just thought it was pretty cool.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

I love this site

Guys, thanks for the info! I'm doing the cut out of rust and protection application this weekend. Hopefully will be able to get the panels ordered in a few weeks. I,m looking at JC Whitney. 19 guage steal, anyone have a better site? Thanks again for the help. yOU GUYS ARE great!!!!!!
Rick
Unread 02-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

I love this site

Guys, thanks for the info! I'm doing the cut out of rust and protection application this weekend. Hopefully will be able to get the panels ordered in a few weeks. I,m looking at JC Whitney. 19 guage steal, anyone have a better site? Thanks again for the help. yOU GUYS ARE great!!!!!!
Rick
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

ragincajunATL- It's been about 12 yr's, byt yes I know how.

USMCredneck:Can you let me know hot it goes?

I have 3 boys and just don't the time or the money to an off-frame-rebuild right now, but would like to get it as close as possible as cheap as possible. thanks. Rick
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alot of the places that rust are flat, I would think if you want to use thicker panels, you could just go buy a few sheets of mild steel at your local weld shop and cut patches to fit.

Nothing too crazy on a Jeep as far as contours or weird angles, so just get a piece of flat stock and two c-clamps, and use your workbench as a brake.

Probably save a lot of money that way too.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
ragincajunATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Rick
when I flipped my heep over I had a stop sign and speed limit sign as my floor

.........done by the PO. Although since it was already there, I have used it for other projects
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
muddmonky
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i replaced the frount floor pan area (just where your feet go)
and both wheel wells.

all the parts are cj/yj so everything is a little off. i had to shape some areas of the sheets with a hammer and a flat serface (the drive way) to make them fit better but they all went in.

parts needed
body pannels
welder
hammer
lots of time
and 1-2 six packs
muddmonky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Thanks Muddmonky, that makes feel a little more confident. I need both floor pans and the rear wheel covers done.
Toooooo much rust to patch. Can I post pics here?
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

I'll definitely let you know how well it all goes together. I went with Quadratec when I bought my panels because I had to buy quite a few and they are a little cheaper than JC Whitney. Your rear inner wheel wells are 60.00 on JC Whitney and only 40.00 from Qtec.

You can post the links to pics hosted on another site, You got to have 50+ posts before you can post just the pics here though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.