Weird sounds - fresh drivetrain; no heater; carb rich? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weird sounds - fresh drivetrain; no heater; carb rich?

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Weird sounds - fresh drivetrain; no heater; carb rich?

Hello. Have some weird sounds I'd like some help diagnosing. Also having problems with my heater, and the carb seems really rich (smell.)

Background:

Rebuilt 258 - Wix filters and Shell Rotella (oil change after 20 min. run, 80 miles on fresh oil.)
Trans rebuilt by myself (seals were left alone, gears and shafts were left alone) - GL4 fluid, can't remember the brand
T-Case was given new seals - GL5 Napa brand
Front and Rear axles got new oil - GL5 Napa brand
New clutch and linkage
Driveshaft u-joints were in good shape, grease was checked

Alright..

1. The clutch makes some whining noises when depressed while the motor is running. The PP was a little rusty after sitting for a while, disk and TOB looked new. Flywheel was turned, also a bit rusty from sitting. The sound almost seems like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way from the flywheel and is causing some friction. No problems shifting though, so I'm pretty sure it's clearing well. Haven't checked specs on the linkage, but it's not rocket science setting those (or is it?) Linkage also got fresh grease. Seems to do this less after warm-up.

2. On accel., especially around corners, an odd grinding/rubbing sound is coming from the rear. It's not so much a grind as two pieces of metal rubbing across eachother. I noticed that the exhaust pipe is very close to the rear bumper and is rusted on top (could be rubbing?) I haven't had an opportunity to investigate this further. The rear end is full so I can't see it grinding - it didn't before and was full of old oil. Other possibilities - suspension is really warn, Ujoint in the back is probably stock, losing an axle? Doesn't do it so much in 3rd, but 1st and 2nd are quite noticeable.

3. Heater: Didn't mess with it at all during rebuild, barely touched the dash, period. Fan won't come on. Possibilities? I haven't traced wires or checked fuses, so that may be an issue. Just wondering if something else could be terribly wrong causing the fan not to kick on.

4. Carb (Carter BBD): Seems very rich after warm-up, based solely on smell. I can hear a slight vacuum leak, but not sure where it's at. Here's my vacuum diagram thread - Vac Diagram Thread. Jeep has been "Team Rushed," with timing set at as close to 7 BTDC as I could get it. Vacuum advance is a straight shot from the passenger, top side of the carb.

I really appreciate any info. I think I'll park it the next few days until I have some more time to think about it and hopefully some input.

attworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Bump to the top.. Anybody?

New info:

Clutch doesn't make noise when pressed while going 30ish MPH and slowing down to downshift.
attworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.