Weekend work- Valve cover & Team Rush - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Garage
A productive Sunday and Monday: Upgraded valve cover to an Omix aluminum one, new gasket (Felpro Black), upgraded Ford distributor cap and rotor (Team Rush), new plugs, new wires, new thermostat and gasket, new oil & filter, cleaned and painted air cleaner, and topped off tranny fluid.

Cranked it up last night and it was idling very sluggishly. A little pinging too. I heard a sucking sound from the engine (no, not my wallet, but yeah, kind of) and found the hose to vacuum advance on the distributor had broken off… hoping to get it reconnected and fix the engine idle. The good news is that it ran a bit better when it got to operating temp and the exhaust smelled really clean- I think before the work I was only running on 4 or 5 good spark plugs.

The valve cover was leaking and bubbling on the driver’s side around where I tapped the holes for the new cover. I used the felpro instructions and put a small amount of 3m gasket adhesive on the valve cover, lined up the holes and put the gasket on. From there, I didn't use any other sealant on the head side... I read a lot of people saying this worked, plus Felpro said the same. I *think* it's leaking because the gasket was sticking out a bit on the driver side and catching on the head bolt nuts. I think I’m going to take the air cleaner back off, loosen the cover bolts, and take an exacto knife to trim the excess.

Any suggestions before I take action?

See in pics the semi-finished product, the guide bolts I put in per Ken4444's suggestion (this pic the guide bolt is in a newly tapped hole on the driver's side), and the cover with my tools sitting on it to weigh the gasket down until the 3m gasket adhesive set.

Attached Thumbnails
Engine1.jpg   Engine2.jpg   Engine3.jpg   Engine4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Got the jeep to run well, but just spewing oil. Tried trimming the gasket with an exacto knife, but it looks like the Felpro gasket has a layer of metal in the center. Had to pull the cover off because I had no other good ideas. I'm going to trim the excess and re-clean the head. While I'm at it, I'm going to lay the cover on a piece of glass to verify it's straight. Hoping that the gasket is still good (only drove it 2 miles- looks okay) even though the gasket sealer isn't connected anymore (going to scrape the old stuff off and apply new sealer).
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have never had Any luck with the metal cored gaskets. All have been bent just slightly in shipping and all have leaked.

I use a plain cork gasket, clean the cover and head seating area with mineral spirits or acetone and then put a thin skin of sensor safe RTV silicone on the head, immediately apply gasket as per the RTV directions and put another coat of RTV on the top of it, put plastic valve cover on and in my case tighten down the two top rocker cover nuts to spec. I had no other edge bolts on mine. I then walk away from it for the 24 hours the directions say the RTV needs to cure and am good to go.

The last one lasted 10 years with no leaks.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Garage
@Mike- good info. I'm going to give this thing another try first because I already dropped the $40 on the felpro version that everyone swears by. If it leaks again, I'll try your route with the cork omix gasket that came with the aluminum cover.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 PM
jeepwhore
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexThePhotoGuy View Post
@Mike- good info. I'm going to give this thing another try first because I already dropped the $40 on the felpro version that everyone swears by. If it leaks again, I'll try your route with the cork omix gasket that came with the aluminum cover.
Save yourself the frustration and go straight to the cork gasket. I put a similar cover on about 15 years ago and have changed the gasket once since then (and only changed it because I had to take the cover off for an unrelated issue)......the second gasket has been on for 7 or 8 years and has yet to leak a drop.

'84 CJ-17: 17" stretch, locked Toy axles, 5.5" lift, FI, AX15, D300 w/twin sticks, boatsides & junk.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Garage
An update. Been busy, so the CJ has sat unfinished for the last few weeks. Tried a couple of things, but the valve cover still leaked. In the end, went with the omix cork gasket that came with the aluminum cover kit. I know I'm jinxing myself... but it seemed to work really well! I drove for about 45 minutes and parked back in the garage. After an hour of sitting only ONE small drip hit the new cardboard I laid out. Even that few drops at the back of the transfer case stopped! Crazy! The area around the valve cover seemed mostly dry, though after the ride, the cork looked a little wet. Hopefully that's normal.

Used the same procedure. Cleaned head and valve cover. Applied very thin layer of 3m gasket sealer (used the black kind bc they didn't have the yellow kind at the parts store) on the valve cover, waited for it to get tacky, then put the gasket on it. Let it all set up, then NO sealer/silicon on the head and tightened the bolts very lightly. Had to drill the font and back bolt holes a bit larger on the valve cover because they didn't line up perfectly.

Spring is here!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Well... The black RTV I used directions said to assemble immediately, not to let it skim over. I also put a skim on the head surface and then after assembly walked away for the 24 hour cure time the directions called for before use.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Yeah, this stuff said to let it just get tacky. Maybe that's the difference between RTV and Gasket Sealer.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexThePhotoGuy View Post
Yeah, this stuff said to let it just get tacky. Maybe that's the difference between RTV and Gasket Sealer.
Yup which can cause all kinds of confusion if folks figure one way works for all these products.

Mike

Tags
oil leak , sputtering , team rush , valve cover , valve cover gasket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.