wedges or shims - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > wedges or shims

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

If one side is really half a degree more than the other (don't know how this could happen unless the inner knuckles were removed and turned) even if you shim the axle to have say 5 degrees on one side and 5.5 degrees on the other, the steering will pull to the side with the most positive caster on a flat road. Half a degree difference is enough to make the steering pull to one side. You can add half a degree of caster to one side with an offset ball joint from moog. I had to do this on an XJ once.

But, I still find it hard to believe that your caster is that far off from one side to the other. You can not correct the difference with shims. When you rotate your axle with shims both knuckles will be turned by the same amount.

foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
dirtyb
1981 CJ8 

Centering Pin

I'm fixin' to do the same job. If I buy new centering pins, do I need to get longer ones?
dirtyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyb View Post
I'm fixin' to do the same job. If I buy new centering pins, do I need to get longer ones?
Yes, if you install shims, your old centering pins will need to be replaced. Usually when you buy them, they are oversized and need to cut off the excess length once they have been tightened down. As stated earlier, it's advisable to get steel shims that are designed to be bolted to the spring pack (they last longer and are more secure).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #19
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

If you take your spring pack apart its a good idea to remove the rust between the leaves and apply a coat of never seize in between the springs. You will be amazed at how it softens the ride.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.