Hmmm... I'm starting to think I need to put a section in my article about shims/wedges...
has any one installed wedges or shims in the leaf springs? if so how hard is it and do you have to take the whole leaf spring assembly apart? ...
Yes, many of us have installed shims. It's not hard and you shouldn't have to take the spring pack completely
apart (although it would be a good time to do any maintenance between leaves).
I prefer remounting the perches but here's a good way to mount your wedges.
1) buy steel shims (not cast iron or aluminum)
2) buy new spring centering pins
3) take the spring pack off the vehicle
4) take the spring pack apart be removing the centering pin (clamp the leaves together)
5) put the new centering pin through the wedge then though the spring pack
6) tighten the nut on the centering pin (do not use the pin to draw the leaves together... that's what the clamps are for)
7) remount the spring
... does it go in the front of the axle or to the back of the axle? thanks in advanced.
The wide end of the wedge goes to the front (on the front axle) and front or back on the rear axle depending on what you're trying to do... raise pinion = wide side front and lower pinion = wide side back
Now, having said all that, I prefer remounting/welding the perches in the correct location at the desired angle.