Hey guys. Sorry it has been awhile since my last post... Been busy with the holidays. Hope everyone has had a very Merry Christmas and is looking forward to a blessed New Year.
I wanted to let you know what we have done to the carb over the last couple of days.
As I posted before, we had the timing set to about 10*BTDC and the carb tuned to about 5/8 turn on the idle and a turn and a half on the mixtures. We were still getting a pretty good miss (random) and had a heck of a flutter on the vacuum gauge. I had resolved that this is just the best we were going to get as it is a 25 year old engine afterall. The thing that bothered me the most, however was that it smelled like hell and was burning my eyes (which as far as I can tell means it was running too lean).
In anycase, we decided to start over and tune the carb based on max vacuum as opposed to playing it by ear. So we first hooked up the vacuum gauge and advanced the timing as far as we could while still maintaining a steady needle (around 20inHg) and then backed it down two in (per some instrauctions we found online). Then we backed the idle screw all the way out and reset it to about 7/16 a turn.
From there, we adjusted the mixture screws until the vacuum climbed back up to 19 inHG, or something close to that (Just below the point where we could eliminate all jumping and fluttering. Then we started over.
After about five iterations, adjusting it up slightly each time, we were able to really smooth out the engine and get rid of the smell... She now runs fantastic with no acrid smell and NO miss!!!
The trickiest part was getting the timing back up to a decent level as the needle really started to flutter once we got up to 8-10*... We finally settled on about 7* figuring that the marks are possibly inaccurate after 25 years of wear.
Thought this update may be helpful to someone out there.
Take care and Happy New Year!!!