Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 12-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #121
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I use the same filter Cooper! Mine is already soaked in oil! Damn 258 block!! I'll be cleaning mine out today lol

ChaseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #122
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Hey guys. Sorry it has been awhile since my last post... Been busy with the holidays. Hope everyone has had a very Merry Christmas and is looking forward to a blessed New Year.

I wanted to let you know what we have done to the carb over the last couple of days.

As I posted before, we had the timing set to about 10*BTDC and the carb tuned to about 5/8 turn on the idle and a turn and a half on the mixtures. We were still getting a pretty good miss (random) and had a heck of a flutter on the vacuum gauge. I had resolved that this is just the best we were going to get as it is a 25 year old engine afterall. The thing that bothered me the most, however was that it smelled like hell and was burning my eyes (which as far as I can tell means it was running too lean).

In anycase, we decided to start over and tune the carb based on max vacuum as opposed to playing it by ear. So we first hooked up the vacuum gauge and advanced the timing as far as we could while still maintaining a steady needle (around 20inHg) and then backed it down two in (per some instrauctions we found online). Then we backed the idle screw all the way out and reset it to about 7/16 a turn.

From there, we adjusted the mixture screws until the vacuum climbed back up to 19 inHG, or something close to that (Just below the point where we could eliminate all jumping and fluttering. Then we started over.

After about five iterations, adjusting it up slightly each time, we were able to really smooth out the engine and get rid of the smell... She now runs fantastic with no acrid smell and NO miss!!!

The trickiest part was getting the timing back up to a decent level as the needle really started to flutter once we got up to 8-10*... We finally settled on about 7* figuring that the marks are possibly inaccurate after 25 years of wear.

Thought this update may be helpful to someone out there.

Take care and Happy New Year!!!

[QUOTE=Nuthin]...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=-Zona-]For some reason I keep underestimating you.[/QUOTE]
CACooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #123
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Excellent work!

Shawn
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #124
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Excellent work!

Shawn
Thank you sir!... Had it not been for you and your assistance, we would still be bleeding vacuum out the plates and screwing around with 45's. Fortunately my father-in-law has some excellent tools and a good mind for this stuff and we were able to put this finishing touches on it with the vacuum gauge. If anyone is struggling with the final tuning, I highly recommend going that route!

[QUOTE=Nuthin]...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

Unread 12-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #125
ms198
1985 CJ7 

ok i just got my weber 38 and took it apart to clean it up. im not sure what the plate is called but it is the one with the hose connection. does this need a gasket between it and the carb. it didn't have one when i got it and the exploded views from the website don't include the adaptor plates. thanks.
ms198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #126
ms198
1985 CJ7 

bump
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #127
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms198 View Post
ok i just got my weber 38 and took it apart to clean it up. im not sure what the plate is called but it is the one with the hose connection. does this need a gasket between it and the carb. it didn't have one when i got it and the exploded views from the website don't include the adaptor plates. thanks.
If you're referring to the upper adaptor plate with the large, brass port in it, yes, a gasket is needed. You'll need one between the manifold and first adaptor plate; one between the first and second adaptor plate and one between the upper adaptor plate and the carb.

Hope that helps.

Shawn
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #128
ms198
1985 CJ7 

thanks!
Unread 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #129
baj332002
1989 YJ Wrangler 

help i started with a empi 32/36. went to a motorcraft 2100. really hate the gas mileage. found a Weber 32/36 at the pull a part what jets do i need to put in it?
baj332002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #130
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj332002 View Post
help i started with a empi 32/36. went to a motorcraft 2100. really hate the gas mileage. found a Weber 32/36 at the pull a part what jets do i need to put in it?
55's are preferable.

Unread 01-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #131
baj332002
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok so i think i need to put 75 primary 60 secondary, 145 mains, 170 paj ,160 saj
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #132
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj332002 View Post
ok so i think i need to put 75 primary 60 secondary, 145 mains, 170 paj ,160 saj
These are in fact the typical sizes that are used in many a 32/36DGV application, you may also want to consider having a .080 idle jet on hand to set in the primary for a trial period...all depending on the condition of the engine and of course it's ignition system.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #133
baj332002
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK so some info. i do work on cars a lot. when i got my jeep it had a bad motor. i rebuilt the motor putting everything new in it. its bored 40 over, has a new stock cam vale job, it has a split header with dual exhaust, its been nuttered, im fixing to team rush it. the empi ran good the only problem i had was that when you kicked in the secondary it would bog down something bad so i ordered a kit, but the kit was for a Weber i didn't know it at the time. so when i pulled the carb off to check the inside of it the gasket tore. that's when i put the mc 2100 on it. its a great carb but i only get about 5mpg. more info the jeep has a body lift, shackle suppesion lift, running 33 and auto tranny.
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #134
baj332002
1989 YJ Wrangler 

mcmud,
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #135
baj332002
1989 YJ Wrangler 

mcmud, where is the best place to order the jets from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.