Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #106
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

By the way... I started a project thread for my little beasty if anyone is interested...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1135660/

CACooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #107
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Update on the 38 setup...

After finding the massive leaks yesterday, Today was spent replacing the studs with 5/8-20 SAE carb studs (we retapped the threads as it was shipped with really poorly drilled M18 holes) and literally 3 hours of sanding to all of the plates. I will post pictures of the plates later as my Mac is dead and I am writing this on the wife's iPad. It baffles my mind that Weber does such a brilliant job manufacturing the carb yet sends out such crappy mounting hardware with it. I bet the there is a market for some enterprising entrepreneur who has the time and energy to purchase plates and resell them finished correctly. In any case, they now look like mirrors... Very, very flat mirrors.

Unfortunately, when we went to remount the carb, we stripped out one of the studs (driver's side / front). Apparently, Shawn, the torque instructions you PM'd me should have been adjusted for a Texas "Grunt", which appears to have been a little bit of overkill in relation to a Vegas one . Luckily, my father-in-law used to be GM for a huge auto group and has a factory Chrysler motor rebuilding kit which includes bad-boy jsteel thread repair sleeves. After drilling out retapping the stripped threads and inserting the sleeve (which screws in and spreads to cinch into the newly cut, up-sized ones), we screwed in one of the original M18 studs. It worked perfectly! We are letting the loc-tite setup overnight and will get back on the mounting and tuning tomorrow morning. I also have a picture of the repair which I will also post tomorrow.

All for now. Have a great night.

[QUOTE=Nuthin]...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=-Zona-]For some reason I keep underestimating you.[/QUOTE]
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #108
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

The carb plates after roughly 3 hours of sanding as well as the fix we made to the DSF stud. Pretty nifty repair if I do say so myself.

[QUOTE=Nuthin]...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

Unread 12-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #109
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Crud... Forgot to attach photos.
img_0685.jpg   img_0686.jpg   img_0687.jpg  

Unread 12-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #110
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Wow! Very nice

Shawn
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #111
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Ok, Shawn - We're stumpped.

We have max idle set to half a turn. We cannot find a vacuum leak for the life of us. The jets are set to 2 turns out and we CANNOT effect idle at all by turning them in or out (except completely killing the Jeep when they are all the way in.) NO effect at all. HELP!

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #112
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Well, thanks to Shawn (I know I am being repetitive ), we are certainly making progress on the 38 setup. We eliminated the EGR and the Vapor Canister and it seems to be definitely more responsive to tuning. Still has a little hiccup, so there is still a leak somewhere, although for the life of me, I cannot figure where.

The fuel system is new from the pump forward. The only vacuum we have set to the carb is the PCV. Vacuum advance is to the manifold. EGR has been cut off and sealed with a solid gasket. Timing is at 10*BDTC.

I am about to climb underneath with a can of carb cleaner and start spraying all over the underside of the intake.

The 55's and the viton needle are arriving today hopefully.

Everything Shawn has given us thus far takes us one step closer to getting this thing perfect, but I am wary of wearing out my welcome with him on PM.

If anyone has any thoughts please chime in. Thanks!!!

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #113
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

We got the 55's in and everything came together. It looks like there is a tiny little flutter that I am going to have to live with. According to the vaccum guage guide, what I have is worn valve stem seals... something to tackle when it is overhaul time. Thanks to Shawn and the rest of you guys for the assist!

By the way - It turns out the EGR was stuck open with crud. As we didn't have an ultra-cool EGR cover like Chase's handy, we ground off the round nub and filed it down smooth and then put a solid gasket between the EGR valve mount and the intake. Sealed it up tight. Chase - If you are interested in fabricating a nice cover for me, let me know .

Unread 12-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #114
mtnjeepchic
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all - I have a question regarding the weber carburetor. I've searched the forum and couldn't find the answer. All the information regarding the vacumn valves, hook up, etc is very helpful but on my valve cover gasket there is a "breather valve" it is at the back of the valve cover gasket - at the current time it is not hooked up to anything. Where does this hook up to or does it not at all? As always w/ the carburetors it's been a trying job to get the idle to stop fluttering and everything straighted out correctly.
This is on an 85 CJ7 but a 258 ci, 4.2 incline was dropped into it this past summer. Sometimes it shuts off mid travel & idles too high or low. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.
mtnjeepchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #115
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnjeepchic View Post
Hi all - I have a question regarding the weber carburetor. I've searched the forum and couldn't find the answer. All the information regarding the vacumn valves, hook up, etc is very helpful but on my valve cover gasket there is a "breather valve" it is at the back of the valve cover gasket - at the current time it is not hooked up to anything. Where does this hook up to or does it not at all? As always w/ the carburetors it's been a trying job to get the idle to stop fluttering and everything straighted out correctly.
This is on an 85 CJ7 but a 258 ci, 4.2 incline was dropped into it this past summer. Sometimes it shuts off mid travel & idles too high or low. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.

I have it hooked up to the air cleaner. The kit came with a little black port to shove through a ridiculously poorly drilled hole on the DSF corner of the air cleaner base. Work it through there and plug the breather tube into it.

Good luck!
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #116
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACooper View Post
We got the 55's in and everything came together. It looks like there is a tiny little flutter that I am going to have to live with. According to the vaccum guage guide, what I have is worn valve stem seals... something to tackle when it is overhaul time. Thanks to Shawn and the rest of you guys for the assist!

By the way - It turns out the EGR was stuck open with crud. As we didn't have an ultra-cool EGR cover like Chase's handy, we ground off the round nub and filed it down smooth and then put a solid gasket between the EGR valve mount and the intake. Sealed it up tight. Chase - If you are interested in fabricating a nice cover for me, let me know .
My EGR cover is from Custom Billet Works... it's listed as "TBI" on the site....$14 bucks and no more EGR woes.
ChaseB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #117
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
My EGR cover is from Custom Billet Works... it's listed as "TBI" on the site....$14 bucks and no more EGR woes.
Awesome! I thought I had read you made it. Ordering one tomorrow. Thanks!
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #118
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnjeepchic View Post
I found a small filter that fit into a grommet in that hole so my blow by would not completely contaminate my main filter.
I just change it if it starts to look really nasty or when I change my oil.

Unread 12-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #119
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange90YJ View Post
I found a small filter that fit into a grommet in that hole so my blow by would not completely contaminate my main filter.
I just change it if it starts to look really nasty or when I change my oil.

That's a fantastic solution!

Unread 12-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #120
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACooper View Post
That's a fantastic solution!
thanks!

Just be sure to plug the hole on the carb air filter assembly

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.