Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #586
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacken View Post

I tried the 80 primary idle jet so far and it seemed to get my idle speed up to 750. however im only 1 5/8 turns out on the mixture screw so that tells me i should go back down to the 75 jet correct?

i also tried the 65 secondary jet and the dead spot got worse. I have checked the float and i think its good it measured 17 to 18 mm at the top of the float on the end closest to the air horns. 2mm of needle travel. so where should i go from here do you think my problem is the main jets or the A/C jets? At this point im not sure if the dead spot is because its too rich or too lean. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Hacken
Hey, sorry about the PM box being full. Not much I can do about it at the moment.

My first thought is, if going up a size made it worse, go down a size and see what happens.

I'm a little confused on how you measured the float. Like this...?

Shawn

Unread 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #587
Hacken
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Shawn,

Yes that is how i measured the float. I agree i would like to try one size jet down however the kit does not supply that which means ordering another jet. Do you have any other thoughts on what may be my problem or do you think now it lies with the proper jet set up? Which for me i guess means trial and error. Something i did notice is in the jet kit they give you a single pump 60 and a double pump 60. why the double pump 60? on the carb is a Single 50. should the second barrel get a blast from the pump jet or not?

Thanks Again
Hacken
Hacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #588
Hacken
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Still racking my brain on this weber. Here is where im at now. After a few checks i have realized i was wrong with my initial settings.
The jets are all the original stock from redline. As noted before i have inserted a larger idle jet with no change in my dead spot so i went back to the 75 pri idle and went back to redo the adjustments. As far as my idle screw i can only get one full turn until i start to pick up vacuum at the s port. So i made sure there is no vacuum and left it there just a hair under one turn.

The mixture screw which i thought was 1 7/8 turns out was not there. To get the best idle im only at 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 turns. However at this best idle my actual idle speed is only 450-500rpm.

The timing is at 9 bdtc and vac advance is directly to the manifold.

Im not sure why the rpms are so low other than the plates needing to be so closed. To stop pulling vacuum. I tried the trick with the throtle shaft nut and that didnt seem to change anything. Following the directions with the carb this setting tells me i need a smaller pri idle jet but im not sure.
Hacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #589
Nebulas
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacken View Post
Gentlemen,

My problem is a dead spot in heavy acceleration, basically when stomping the pedal in any gear except for first. the engine idles slow at one and 1/2 turns on the stop screw. but very smooth. I have been all over with the timing and nothing seems to help this dead spot. I left it at 8*BTDC.
I guess my question is should i get the jet pack for it and once i have it where should i start?
Hey Hacken,
Hope you got your issue resolved by now.... if not.... my 2cents from what I've just learned on dealing with my 32/36....

If it idles good and runs good down low then the problem is not in the Idle circuit. without an A/F monitor it may be a guess if you're to rich or lean above idle and each barrel has to be tuned as a separate unit as the secondary doesn't open till about 2/3 throttle.

I would recommend an A/F monitor above all,(Well worth the money!!) I put one on my 2.5 and I found that the 32/36 Weber that came on the little 4 banger was puking rich above idle.... It came with 140 mains. I ended up with 125 primary main and 130 secondary main. 150 primary air and 160 secondary air and she perked right up all thru the wimpy band that it is and no flat spots anywhere. timing at 10 degrees and using manifold vac adv .....

Under low vacuum the mains do the work on the way up till vacuum comes up the airs kick in for higher rpm cruise mix....

I would suggest trying 140 mains first if the motor is mostly stock....

hope this helps....

Last edited by Nebulas; 11-09-2013 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: typos
Nebulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #590
Proofmark
1983 CJ7 

Put a weber 32/36 on this summer. It was running great, but now that it has cooled down, it takes forever to start it. It is dumping fuel in the carb when the accelerator is depressed so it is getting at least some fuel. The butterflies are closing correctly. I'm at a loss....

On a side note, since I put the carb on, it runs great. When I dump the accelerator to the floor, the engine stalls out. It runs great otherwise.. Just looking for thoughts on where I should start troubleshooting.
Proofmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #591
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Whats your choke idle speed set to? Mines set to around 900-1000rpm, mine always starts the same regardless of temperature, one pedal pump to throw some fuel down, bump the key, choke comes on and idles at the speed I set it.
Maybe your accelerator pump isn't shooting enough initial gas?

If it super cold out sometimes it does like 2 pedal pumps before starting. And the other thing i do when cold weather sets in is turn both my mixture screw out a 1/4-1/2 turns out from where the best lean idle for summer is. Definitely helps smooth it out and warm up better.
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #592
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6CJ7 View Post
Whats your choke idle speed set to? Mines set to around 900-1000rpm, mine always starts the same regardless of temperature, one pedal pump to throw some fuel down, bump the key, choke comes on and idles at the speed I set it.
Maybe your accelerator pump isn't shooting enough initial gas?

If it super cold out sometimes it does like 2 pedal pumps before starting. And the other thing i do when cold weather sets in is turn both my mixture screw out a 1/4-1/2 turns out from where the best lean idle for summer is. Definitely helps smooth it out and warm up better.
Well said.

Here's a video of mine at ~30* a few winters ago. Fast idle was 900 rpm and I zoomed in to show how far the choke plate was pulling off the tower when it started.

Unread 11-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #593
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Hah, thanks Shawn, although most of what I learned, I learned from you!
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #594
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Little jump in here since it's freezing in michigan, my 258/weber38 Does not like the cold lol!!
Seems I just can't get the choke set were I like it. It's either too closed (starts good,fast idle) then gets ruff because plates are closed to far or..
I adjust so plates are open a little farther and next morning the high speed cam don't set (no high idle)!
Really wanting to go manual ...
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #595
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do you have the electric choke hooked up properly?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #596
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Super,

There's another adjustment you can do that makes a world of difference. At the back of the carb is a vacuum diaphragm with a little, brass, dust cap in it. If you can get the dust cap wiggled out, you can adjust the amount of pull-off the choke plate has with a little flat-head screwdriver. Set your pull-off there and use the other adjustment to set the time it take to fully open.

It's the pod-lookin' dude on the left. Just poke the dust cap back in when you're done.

Shawn
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #597
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Just so you know what you are doing,

The pull off opens the choke slightly (or a lot) as soon a s the engine starts and there is sufficent vacuum meaning, it's probably going to keep running.,
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #598
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys, yes electric is working properly. I'll try the pull off. Basically I need the plates to be open more after starting. Runs and starts perfect but after 30 secs is starts to get ruff. If I then reach over and open choke plate it smooths out
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #599
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yep, that would be the pull off jobs.

Not sure were it get's it vacuum to make it operate but make sure none of the passages are plugged going to it.
Unread 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #600
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Ok someone please help me just a sec, I'm adjusting the choke today and noticed this unplugged hole!! Now, I've messed with this carb quite a bit over the last year, and never noticed the empty hole just below the "s" port. That leaves me to believe it prolly had a brass plug in there. swatson454"s pic above looks like it may be plugged? Please chime in and tell me if this hole should have a plug... Funny cause just noticed it and it's all the sudden running like ****

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.