Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Reply
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #511
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,729
I'd sure like to see that Clifford cam advanced 4 degrees. It's installed straight up now. Even straight up, you should have more vacuum than that.

If you're feeling froggy, you could always get a Cloyes timing set with the multiple keyways and advance it 4 degrees. It would move the torque curve down, increase your cranking pressure and increase your manifold vacuum.


Shawn

__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #512
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 12,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
I'd sure like to see that Clifford cam advanced 4 degrees. It's installed straight up now. Even straight up, you should have more vacuum than that.

If you're feeling froggy, you could always get a Cloyes timing set with the multiple keyways and advance it 4 degrees. It would move the torque
curve down, increase your cranking pressure and increase your manifold vacuum.

Shawn
I was just wondering about that, the crane cam and stock 2v cam have the same duration but opening and closing are different.
Could that be because the stock cam is advanced a little?

I've had to many beers now to work all that out though
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #513
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler
 
86cj74.2L's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stouchsburg, PA
Posts: 6,322
Is it split duration? or ground on a different centerline?

I've only had a sealed intake manifold with felpro's 2 piece manifold kit. There was one metalized one for both manifolds, and a blue one just for sealing the intake to the metalized gasket.

With that setup of gaskets both manifolds were even, flat, whatever you want to call it where the cupped washers push at. No leaks since. And no loose mani bolts. I check on occasion. I replaced a perfectly good carb once because of a intake manifold leak. It won't burn me again.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #514
svenster
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: san rafael, california
Posts: 83
looks like i will be removing my intake manifold once again and visiting the machine shop. ugh
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #515
svenster
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: san rafael, california
Posts: 83
i am skeptical that even when i redo it that it will still leak
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #516
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I was just wondering about that, the crane cam and stock 2v cam have the same duration but opening and closing are different.
Could that be because the stock cam is advanced a little?
The stock cam is like nothing I've ever seen and it made my eyes bleed a little bit.

If I'm seeing it right, the stocker is ground on basically a 118 LCA -14 (14 degrees retarded)

If we compare the valve events of his cam in an optimal position (+4) to the stocker at .050 tappet lift, the Cliffy's intake valve opens 3 degrees BTDC compared to the stocker at 14.6 AFTC. This means the intake valve on the Clifford is opened WAY further when the piston is sucking the hardest.

Then the Clifford closes the intake valve at 29 degrees ABDC compared to the stocker at 66.8 ABDC. This means the Clifford traps a whole lot more of that charge in the cylinder.

On the exhaust side, the Clifford opens the exhaust valve at 37 degrees BBDC compared to the stocker's 55.59 BBDC. The Clifford basically hangs on to the cylinder pressure before opening the exhaust valve quite a bit longer than the stocker.

This is like no comparison I've done. It just screams emissions. But hey, they got the job done. Comparing valve events at .006 is a lot easier for me.

I didn't see on the page at what lift they gave those numbers so I may have just wasted everyone's time.


Shawn
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #517
uptillnow
Member
 
uptillnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
The stock cam is like nothing I've ever seen and it made my eyes bleed a little bit.

If I'm seeing it right, the stocker is ground on basically a 118 LCA -14 (14 degrees retarded)

If we compare the valve events of his cam in an optimal position (+4) to the stocker at .050 tappet lift, the Cliffy's intake valve opens 3 degrees BTDC compared to the stocker at 14.6 AFTC. This means the intake valve on the Clifford is opened WAY further when the piston is sucking the hardest.

Then the Clifford closes the intake valve at 29 degrees ABDC compared to the stocker at 66.8 ABDC. This means the Clifford traps a whole lot more of that charge in the cylinder.

On the exhaust side, the Clifford opens the exhaust valve at 37 degrees BBDC compared to the stocker's 55.59 BBDC. The Clifford basically hangs on to the cylinder pressure before opening the exhaust valve quite a bit longer than the stocker.

This is like no comparison I've done. It just screams emissions. But hey, they got the job done. Comparing valve events at .006 is a lot easier for me.

I didn't see on the page at what lift they gave those numbers so I may have just wasted everyone's time.


Shawn
I have typically advanced the "CAM" timing about 4-6 degrees. This "advance" is for chain stretch.
I only see this low of manifold vacuum at idle when there is lots of duration... OR... the timing chain and gears are off a tooth.
This condition would also explain the extreme low idle speed. (and lower compression reading)

uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #518
svenster
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: san rafael, california
Posts: 83
i am all for advancing my cam if that will get me closer to payday. i have the double roller on it now and would rather not replace new parts with other new parts. can i jump a tooth to get the same results?
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #519
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenster View Post
i am all for advancing my cam if that will get me closer to payday. i have the double roller on it now and would rather not replace new parts with other new parts. can i jump a tooth to get the same results?
Unfortunately, no.

That was just something that would help overall performance and not the crux of your issues.


Shawn
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #520
svenster
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: san rafael, california
Posts: 83
intake manifold planed at machine shop. re-installed with mopar manifold gasket. same vacuum readings.
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #521
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,729
I'm sorry about the pics. Something is haywire with my photobucket account


Shawn
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #522
I6CJ7
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 860
Hey Shawn, I pm'ed but your box must've been full. Haven't checked my plugs yet, have had at least 3 tanks of gas on them now.
I calculated my mileage from nags head, NC to Manassas, VA. I was getting 15.6 mpg... Not that good, considering I was only carrying about 300 pounds of gear, a bikini top and soft doors. And stayed under 65mph doing between 2k-2200 rpm.
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #523
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6CJ7 View Post
Hey Shawn, I pm'ed but your box must've been full. Haven't checked my plugs yet, have had at least 3 tanks of gas on them now.
I calculated my mileage from nags head, NC to Manassas, VA. I was getting 15.6 mpg... Not that good, considering I was only carrying about 300 pounds of gear, a bikini top and soft doors. And stayed under 65mph doing between 2k-2200 rpm.
I'd say a road trip and three tanks of fuel might be good enough to see if you have any color on there worth trying to read.

Email me some pics when you get a chance.


Shawn
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #524
D-BO
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mead, Colorado
Posts: 356
Thanks for the great write up. I have a question about the idle jets. I have the Weber 38 dges and I have the jet kit on the way due to it not tuning right. I believe I need larger idle jets than the 45's based off of this threads advice and tuning.

Anyways I pulled my old jets out and noticed that the jet is free to rotate inside the screw head. Does this matter?

Do the idle jet holes need to be oriented in some fixed position?

I have a feeling they do because when they are installed if I rotate the screw it greatly affects the idle with the Jeep running.
__________________
[FONT="Fixedsys"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Whenever something breaks on my Cj... I learn something new by fixing it.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
D-BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #525
razor2264
Registered User
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iwakuni, Japan
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenster View Post
intake manifold planed at machine shop. re-installed with mopar manifold gasket. same vacuum readings.
Hey svenster,

I have the same clifford set up and I also suffer from low vacuum. I have replaced my intake/exhaust manifold gaskets 4 times with no luck. I have a feeling that its the cam.
razor2264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.