Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber Set-Up and Tune Discussion

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #466
mulliflier
1984 CJ7 

Ah, gotcha, no Sean sorry I have been so busy lately that I haven't been keeping up on my JF. Last few months have been really something, just getting caught up now. Matt, thanks for the help, my issue with the idles though is that 45, to my knowledge, is the smallest jet for the 38 (according to Redline anyway). I was originally headed that direction, but Ron told me that there is nothing smaller than a 45, and that regardless, opening up the air correctors is what he recommended. I went with that, since he's the redline bubba and invariably knows more about carbs than I do. I get the jets by mail tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone knows how to obtain a set of idles/mains smaller than 45/145, let me know.

mulliflier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #467
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliflier View Post
Ah, gotcha, no Sean sorry I have been so busy lately that I haven't been keeping up on my JF. Last few months have been really something, just getting caught up now. Matt, thanks for the help, my issue with the idles though is that 45, to my knowledge, is the smallest jet for the 38 (according to Redline anyway). I was originally headed that direction, but Ron told me that there is nothing smaller than a 45, and that regardless, opening up the air correctors is what he recommended. I went with that, since he's the redline bubba and invariably knows more about carbs than I do. I get the jets by mail tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone knows how to obtain a set of idles/mains smaller than 45/145, let me know.
Hmm....I'm not sure what Ron is talking about. The jetting combo that worked best for me, at 6000', was 50 idles, 135 mains, F7/170 air correctors. I wish I had a set of 45 idles to try, I think they'd be even better.

Ask for Tom at Redline.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #468
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sweet, all you need is an ash bowl and ... nah, better not go there,

You need to machine a carb out of a clear block of plexiglass someday.
Hmmm.....

I had this big clear box and a couple of shop vacs and a carb....
If I only had a Bridgeport..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #469
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Thanks, John

I need to find the right fluid. Water just has too much surface tension and I don't think that sucking flammable rubbing alcohol through a shop-vac is my most smarterest idea to date. I'd also like to line up a high-def video camera and hopefully get some still shots of it in action. The camera phone thing didn't quite cut the mustard.

Any thoughts on a test fluid?

Shawn
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #470
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The diesel fuel injection test stands I repair use a calibration fluid with same specific gravity and properties as diesel.

Got to be something for gas. Unless thats what they use.

I thought I saw a animation video on it on how stuff works.

It injects air into the stream of fuel going to metering ports.......makes it frothy.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #471
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The diesel fuel injection test stands I repair use a calibration fluid with same specific gravity and properties as diesel.

Got to be something for gas. Unless thats what they use.

I thought I saw a animation video on it on how stuff works.

It injects air into the stream of fuel going to metering ports.......makes it frothy.
I have heard that "Stoddard" solvent has been used for testing inplace of gasoline, close equivalent.
UPTILLNOW

Frothy
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #472
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow

I have heard that "Stoddard" solvent has been used for testing inplace of gasoline, close equivalent.
UPTILLNOW

Frothy
All that is is mineral spirits. And easy to find.
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #473
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

And there are many other ways to create a vacuum without a shop vac.
We use a vacuum run off compressed air.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #474
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
And there are many other ways to create a vacuum without a shop vac.
We use a vacuum run off compressed air.
Do you have the cabinet coolers that use compressed air too? Cabinet Cooler is the brand I think.
Unread 07-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #475
svenster
1985 CJ7 

so i am now noticing a grip of predetonation(ticktacks-clickclacks) since adjusting my carb and timing. oh, and my choke does not seem to be working anymore. any ideas from the gurus?
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #476
svenster
1985 CJ7 

anybody?
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #477
mulliflier
1984 CJ7 

If you're getting predetonation, I would either double-check your timing and possibly retard it some, check that you don't have some bad fuel, or something along that line. Assuming all else is well, the timing would be my immediate culprit - retarding it even a few degrees might get rid of the pre-det.

Hope that helps a little man, I'm no guru but the real pros seem to be busy.
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #478
svenster
1985 CJ7 

ok. timing between 8*-10*, it bounces a little. zero vacuum at ported. idles waaaaay low, around 380. if i turn in the speed screw i lose my zero vacuum. mixture screw at 1 turn out. less pre-det btw though, so that is good... any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #479
svenster
1985 CJ7 

need to figure out how to increase my idle without losing zero vacuum.
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #480
mulliflier
1984 CJ7 

Use zero vac when finding lean-best if you can, but once that is set, you want to reconnect your vac advance and then set your idle to 600-700. At that point, it doesn't matter so much if there is absolutely zero vac, you might have a few in of Hg of vac but shouldn't be much (like 3in or so I would say is fine.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.