Weber Operation Discussion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber Operation Discussion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Weber Operation Discussion

There are a lot of gems of wisdom about Webers going on in the CJ forum but buried in many post. I'm hoping to collect a lot of these together into one post and turn it into a Sticky. Maybe Copy and paste it into a Sticky post so it won't be all jumbled up.

The best way to work on a carb it to understand how it operates and I'm hoping that people who have described various operations of a Weber can copy and paste their own wisdom here or add new info. Please only copy your own words. Maybe I'll make an appendix later with links

Fluff will be cut out later.

First we should break them up into various catagories. I can hyper link these to the later sections of the post for easy reference. If you want to add something after a discussion has moved on then please edit a previous post of yours.

Float circuit
Idle circuit
Primary circuit
Accelerator circuit
Enrichment Circuit.
Adjustments

I'll try to get pictures as needed for the discussions. Contact me by PM and I'll make something for you if I can find it. It should be limited to Strictly Weber replacement carbs for the 258. Not any DCOE ir IDF although that would be fun and I might use cutaway views on these carbs to illustrate some point of operation.

First, lets get some discussion about making this post useful.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It would be nice if each contributor would have one post about operation were he can add to it and another post were he can make comments. This way all his important contribution will be in one place and he is free to add comments with other post that may or may not be deleted later after we come to a close on a particular operation.

We'll have to try it and see how it goes.
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
It would be nice if each contributor would have one post about operation were he can add to it and another post were he can make comments. This way all his important contribution will be in one place and he is free to add comments with other post that may or may not be deleted later after we come to a close on a particular operation.

We'll have to try it and see how it goes.
So should we start with floats or adjustments?

I say floats as no sense in having someone messing around with adjustments until the float is set/checked anyway.

Pictures, instruction sheets, closeups of needles and seats and float shapes would be nice. I'll get started on animations. Anyone have a suggestion on a program to make animations other than Animation shop?
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
TheGhost
1983 CJ7 

Whatever you are comfortable with - I'm sure will be fine. I'm not sure what JeepHammer uses for his wiring diagrams, but they are always top notch - very professional. It would be nice to have a repository of pdf versions of these type of things so that if you wanted to get a copy to keep or print you wouldn't have to go searching through a long series of posts to find that one diagram you are looking for. I'm not sure how to accomplish this - but if we're creating a wish list - I'll use that as one of mine!

Last edited by TheGhost; 03-05-2010 at 07:53 AM..
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Hey John,

I think that's a fantastic idea and would love to be able to contribute in any way I can. I'd like to offer up some possible topics for discussion if I may.

Initial Set-up: Most of these threads seem to be with trouble upon set-up. Adaptor plate leaks, float setting, fuel pressure and using the screws to determine the best idle jet size seem to be the most common. Maybe we could address each step just as if we were installing the carb for the first time, from float setting to main calibration?

I think a really neat one would be to cover the progression of the secondary barrel and sizing the secondary idle jet accordingly.

As you probably know, I love any discussion of the main circuit; main jets, air correctors and emulsion tube function and calibration.

I don't have any Weber books or cool drawings to add but I do have a ton of specific pics

Shawn

weber carburetors
swatson454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

Has anyone done any diagnostics with the O2 sensors? I've got an O2 sensor in the manifold of my CJ, and I'm wondering if I couldn't "test" for lean / rich conditions, especially at idle, simply by getting readings from the O2 sensor (that's not really doing anything anyway, since it's Nuttered...) If so, I'd like to see that discussed....
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtweety View Post
Has anyone done any diagnostics with the O2 sensors? I've got an O2 sensor in the manifold of my CJ, and I'm wondering if I couldn't "test" for lean / rich conditions, especially at idle, simply by getting readings from the O2 sensor (that's not really doing anything anyway, since it's Nuttered...) If so, I'd like to see that discussed....
mtbtweety, I've been doing some pretty extensive tuning with a wide-band air/fuel monitor and would love to address some of that in this thread.

I'm excited to see how this thread progresses!

Shawn
swatson454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wide band is cool I wish I had one of those when I was setting up my Weber on my old Sammy. I did use a data logger on the O2 sensor and tried various jetting / emulsion tube combinations until I got my "Driving profile" to be averaged out to nominal. You could watch the O2 sensor output move back and forth as the computer adjusted the mixture.

Oh, I probably should mention that I took the top off a Holley/Weber 5200 off my Dodge Omni and put it on the top of my Weber so the O2 feedback actually worked.

Anyway the data logger recorded the the O2 output and I shoved all the data into Excel and computed the average voltage reading for my "Trip". pretty soon I adjusted the jetting for I averaged 0.5 volts. It took a couple of days of trying something and then testing. You can't change one thing and see immediate effects when fine tuning.

Raw Data from O2 Sensor

Average of readings calculated by adding up all data points and finding the average.

I'll have to see if I saved any of that data. It's on a 5-1/4" floppy someplace...

Anyway some DMM like a Fluke 87 can do averaging automatically for you wich would be great to see your average settings.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.