Weber DGAV vs. DGEV...differences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber DGAV vs. DGEV...differences?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Stacydmcc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Weber DGAV vs. DGEV...differences?

I have searched and read for days on this carb. since mine is running extremely rich. From what I've read I believe that the main difference is that the EV is an electric choke and the AV is a water choke (not exactly sure how that works yet). Is this correct? If so are there any other differences?

I just bought the Jeep last week and I am working through all the little things. The carb is running really rich (which I have found out is very common with these) so I have ordered a rebuild kit and a Holley fpr. I will start by adjusting the fuel pressure to 3.0 - 3.5 psi and move on through the adjustment process from there. I have printed about 100 pages of tuning tips from threads here and all over the net.

Anyway...I was wondering what the difference in the carbs were. I know the carb was ordered as a kit for the Jeep and it seems to be installed correctly (has the charcoal canister hooked up and everything). I just don't know why it is a DGAV instead of the DGEV which it seems everyone is running.

Is there any reason i would need to switch?

Stacydmcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

What kind of choke does yours have on it? If it's electric (wires) then it's the DGEV. I believe DGAV is the old style water choke that has coolant running through it (rubber hoses). I've never seen the DGAV on a Jeep, the DGEV is typically the more popular choice since CJs came wired for the electric choke on the original Carter BBD. Personally I'd be uncomfortable with the water/coolant choke in case of any leaks. They make a manual choke conversion for the Webers if you wanted. Either that or it's probably possible to convert it to the electric choke.
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

the only difference is the Choke.

also- you may need even less than 3.0~ mine ran nicely at 2.5.

be sure your return line is in place and functioning, and that you have a good filter before the FPR.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Weber says 3.5 MAXIMUM!!!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Stacydmcc
2007 JK Wrangler 

The choke is wired (two red/white wires hooked into it). One seems to dead end into a plug that isn't plugged into anything and the other runs to a flat plug and then along the firewall towards the right side of the engine. I lost it after that. Where does run to?

the facct that it is wired was part of my confusion. It has the wired choke but is clearly stamped 32 36 DGAV on the base. Maybe it got mis-stamped??

I was just going by what I've read on the psi. It seemed that 3 to 3.5 was what people stated the most. I thought I actualy read on the Weber site to adjust to 3.0. I've read so much that I could easily be mistaken though. I will start low and work my way up.

My return line is hooked up but how exactly can I tell if it is working properly?
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Your rich issue could well have been described by the choke setting or it's reliance on a 12v current when the engine is running.
Have you verified the wire you have connected has current? If you were to look at the choke plate when the engine is fully warmed what position would it be. And what if you looked when the engine is fully cooled.

The OEM choke wire was feed from the oil sender plug connector, no pressure no voltage.

The stamping on the base was with an intention to have the Aqua Choke Assembly. EZ swap. As JoonHoss stated it is the same carb.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Inabon
1978 CJ7 

i have the dgev easy solution run the chocke wire and so that it gets power when you switch on. the choke will start it slow but not too slow process of opening the flaps. within 3 to 5 minutes they should be 100% open.

if it is running rich on idle (rough) make sure you adjust both idle mix screws according to what the instructions say.
Inabon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

They may have just installed the electric choke from a DGEV on your carburetor. Everything else should be identical. That would explain why.

If your choke is not wired and is not getting power, there's no way for it to disengage/open, so that's why you're running rich. That wire needs to plug into some 12V source coming off your ignition so it will get power anytime the ignition is on. It needs power always when it's running so that it can keep the choke flaps open when it has warmed up. The electric choke on the Weber is fully adjustable (as well as the fast/choke idle), it should be pretty self explanatory but they should have some information in the user manuals as well.
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Stacydmcc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. I thought that the wire looked as though it went to the oil pressure sending unit but I thought I had to be mistaken. I will check the voltage. I know I have good oil pressure but I may try running the wire to a switched source just for the assurance of it always being there. I haven't verified for myself but the mechanic at the local Jeep dealership said the choke was operating properly but that he got no change in performance when he adjusted one of the mixture screws (the big one). I don't kow how good he is with carbs really though. I am not a carb guy but I have been trying to educate myself. I have adjusted the carb on my volkswagon beetle (baja bug as I call it) and it seems to adjust with pretty much the same procedure as the Weber.

By the way...what would cause me to get no change when I turned the Big mixture screw? If I turn the little one it increses or decreases idle quickly depending on which way I turn it of course.
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

It could be that your idle jets are too large. But if your choke is not working and is closed, it could also cause it to run too rich and not make any difference with the idle screw. Typically the Webers will come with too large of idle jets for the AMC I6, so most people just screw their idle mixture all the way in as lean as possible. This is bad for the needle/seat, and also means that it is not properly jetted. If you're all the way in on the mixture screw then you need to go with smaller jets. Ideally you should be between 2 and 3 turns out on the mixture screw (from all the way in where it bottoms out). This is how you know you are properly [idle] jetted. Be careful when the idle mixture screw/needle bottoms out. If you force it you will damage the needle and/or seat.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Webers are not the easiest carburetors to tune, but when you get them running right (and there is no excuse for not having it tuned just right), it will run GOOD! You may have to change jets to dial it in just right, but it's no different really from tuning any other carburetor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the voltage source to the oil pressure sending unit is one possible place to tap into an ignition voltage source. That may be why the wire is running to that vicinity.
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

if you haven't already, go to the Weber/Redline website, and print the instructions for 'best lean idel'. they'll tell you exactly what you need to do.

My previous '83 had the exact problem, the choke wasn't working correctly, and was partially closed. disconnected it, and manually adjusted it open by hand, which made a HUGE difference alone.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Stacydmcc
2007 JK Wrangler 

I will check the voltage on the choke tonight when I get home. I can't verify correct operation until I get the radiator back in though. That should be done tomorrow night hopefully.

Thanks for the advice...I have printed the instructions out of weber so hopefully I can get it tuned somewhat correctly. I have rejetted my dirtbike carbs so I have the basics down on rejetting but they are really simple. They only have a low speed (idle) jet, a needle which controls mainly mid to high speed and then a main jet. I will keep tinkering until I figure it out.

I wish I didn't have the dang radiator out because I'm anxious to get into this but it was leaking so I had to order another one.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.