Weber carb Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber carb Help!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
bushCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Weber carb Help!

I have a 38 DE something on order, with all the idle and tuning trouble I see people are having, sould I just send this thing back without even opening it or will it work?

bushCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Here is good write up on the WEBER CARBS with several good links in the thread. they work well if you have the right jets in them and have a good ignition. There are several links in the article for Tune Instructions that are more detailed than weber's with carb.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/weber-34-dgec-carb-too-rich-jets-tune-jeep-4-2-258-a-631105/

For most of us the Weber 38 is too big and opens both venturies at once VS the 32/36 and 34/34 that run on the primary and open secondary when you get on it. My secondary hardly ever opens.

WHY did you pick the 38??
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Unless you have the ultimate build 258 it is too much carb. Engine displacement is near to small with what 4k max sustained RPM. I'm thinking that is a 380-400 cfm synchronized 2 bbl.
The DGEV series 32/36 is most desirable IMO
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
bushCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Well I picked it because the guy I talked two, a salesperson I guess said it would work fine. Looks like he doesn't know jeeps or 258's. I'll cancel that tomorrow and order the smaller carb. Thanks for the heads up.
bushCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushCJ7 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
Please don't fall for sales tricks with the wk551 dgec 34, it's trouble.

You want the DGEV 32/36.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Ya, the 34 is a clone made by a french moped company.... If you like mucking around with jet sizes and things, go for it, otherwise....

A kit for your stock BBD costs around $25.00 and just does them wonders. No matter the carb, just remember the book calls for a kit in them every time you need sparkplugs. Most folks don't do that and end up with a really out of tune carb.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Ya, the 34 is a clone made by a french moped company.... If you like mucking around with jet sizes and things, go for it, otherwise....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
Please don't fall for sales tricks with the wk551 dgec 34, it's trouble.

You want the DGEV 32/36.

I have the Weber 34 and think it's working pretty well. Unless more of us try the smaller jet combo I outlined. Prove it works well for the 258 the factory will just keep shipping the bigger jets.

I am willing to work with the Factory Reps and have been, but its going to take a little help from you folks too.

I believe this carb can be added to the list of ones that works well for the 258.

Fred
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
I have the Weber 34 and think it's working pretty well. Unless more of us try the smaller jet combo I outlined. Prove it works well for the 258 the factory will just keep shipping the bigger jets.

I am willing to work with the Factory Reps and have been, but its going to take a little help from you folks too.

I believe this carb can be added to the list of ones that works well for the 258.

Fred
You have 'far' more patience or time than I do, that's for sure. No way would I spend big bucks on a clone that no one can tune properly or want to play with the jets on an 'experiment', that if it fails, you burn out your engine....

The jury is still out on your setup, too lean 'will' burn out pistons, usually sooner than later.

I have seen many cries for tuning help both here and on Usenet for Solex carbs and have never seen anyone step up except you here.

That is just my opinion, what can I say.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
You have 'far' more patience or time than I do, that's for sure. No way would I spend big bucks on a clone that no one can tune properly or want to play with the jets on an 'experiment', that if it fails, you burn out your engine....

The jury is still out on your setup, too lean 'will' burn out pistons, usually sooner than later.

I have seen many cries for tuning help both here and on Usenet for Solex carbs and have never seen anyone step up except you here.

No wander Fred didn't say anything smart back to me after I told him he probably tunes his carb after every 10 miles.
It's probably true.

Last edited by LT1CJ7; 01-26-2009 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: .
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
No wander Fred didn't say anything smart back to me after I told him he probably tunes his carb after every 10 miles.
It's probably true.
I just got 4 years out of this latest carb kit in my stock BBD. The junk in the gas was making my float needle slide track start to stick. I could have just cleaned that, but am glad I did the kit. There was a lot of nasty crystallized junk in the bottom of the float bowl, likely from sitting around with a snapped in half frame for the last 8 months or so.

When I had to pass emissions every two years, I cleaned it just before so it always just purrs and passes and gives a sweet 21 mpg highway.
Unread 01-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:

Dear Mike,

Not that I have FAR TO MUCH PATIENCE.... I purchased Quality Products/Typic Add Ons for a newly rebuilt engine. 1st Engine Shipment was too old a block/current head pulled and exchanged, 2nd engine same company the push rods were too long and caused failures they had a 7yr/70k warranty. 3rd Engine different vendor worked out fine. I was stuck with a NEW WEBER 34 that did not work to my expectations. Make it work, pawn it off on the less knowledgable, or try to return something I had for a year. Weber gave me all the help they could, still limited knowledge, and all the jets and parts were sent to me no charge.

These carbs are made in the UK and Weber is a much larger veder in UK then they are here. Webers here are sold by importers so getting help here is limited imo. The best artilces I found were Europe guys that had 25 yrs working with carbs. I am not making this stuff up I am web info and factory info. I kept in contact with Weber North America in an exchange of knowledge both ways.

Mike your a carb guy, put your hands on one of these and play with it. No one should be afraid to change jets or read spark plugs. It is kinda a necssary is setting up any carb/intake combo. No??

I have a 1981 BBD and a BBD with feedback, if I thougth the Weber 34 would not and does not work well the stock carb would be back installed. It was given to me here on JF for getting his CJ going well.

During my build a major KEVLAR clutch changed design and rivets rubed could have flew apart engine 2-3, Meling mixed up the short/long version of the oil picks up in their packaging, Meling & Cloyes supplier did not mill the face of the time gear set so time cover would rock and not fit, a water pump flange was pushed on so far the pully hit the pump body, and a few other small parts that came in wrong. I called the factory directly and corrected all these, thats a lot of work for 1 CJ Build. This is why I learned a bit more about the CJ's than I wanted to. ALL done prior to me fiind JF.

AS for others trying the Weber 34 or 32/36 with a new purchase if you tune, read your plugs, or need to change jets they work fine. These steps and plug reading are true for any carb/intake/ignition changes. The steps can help you quickly find out and if not you can return the carb because it did not work. Visa & Mastercard will back you in the return too.

If we recommned the rebuild a BBD on a daily bassis as a fix.... should not be that terrifying to have them change a set of external screw jets and a pair under the float.

There are also lots of JF members that have the Weber 34 already this could help. With posts like yous would they even try??? That is the real waste of $300. Just a thought.

Thanks Mike I do value your opinion,
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
It's probably true.
Dear LT!CJ7,

I have not seen you here on JF in the past year, only recently. I have seen you piss on a few threads recently, 3-4 in the past few days, mine and others. YOUR LOCATION IS "THE INSTIGATOR" AND THAT SAYS SOMETHING HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF, YOU DID CHOOSE IT.

Why bother?
Unread 01-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post

Mike your a carb guy, put your hands on one of these and play with it. No one should be afraid to change jets or read spark plugs. It is kinda a necssary is setting up any carb/intake combo. No??
On a hot rod I expect to have to play to match things up, to replace a stock carb on a stock engine, I don't.

Quote:
This is why I learned a bit more about the CJ's than I wanted to. ALL done prior to me fiind JF.
In for a penny in for a pound is the saying isn't it? ;-)

Quote:
There are also lots of JF members that have the Weber 34 already this could help. With posts like yous would they even try??? That is the real waste of $300. Just a thought.
There is where we differ, I have a thing about cloned parts, have seen too much junk over the years, I would recommend a real Weber carb if the person was afraid of tuning the BBD with a kit or an already kitted BBD from some dealer like Holly.

I figure if they are skittish about doing a simple kit, messing with jets is well..... way out there.
Unread 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Dear Mike,

Just a thought on carbs and CJ's..

So put a BBD on a 258 with clifford intake, header, MultiSpark CDI would not require a jet change?? I've never done it but would think that would get pretty lean. How about those mountain living folks thats a jet change too.

It comes in a weber box. ordered from Weber North America.

Ye maybe I should have chucked my Weber 34, glad I did not.

I said before, CJ in storage and when spring comes out would be happy to make a short video clip. Runs better than 8/10 stock CJ's I read about here. Never stalled, pulled the front wheels 5ft in air with hitch on ground not a hick up, tuned it off took pictures, got back in rolled back down and started right up.
Unread 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I have the Weber 32/36 on my Jeep, Came with it.

Bought a jet kit and a FPR for it. Runs sweet.
Currently getting 16 MPG with 2.73's and 33" tires
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:

REF: WEBER 34

Dear Mike,

Just scanned the post and missed the comment above. Sorry but I do not agree.

Well I can see you did NOT read my write up or the links included.

Sorry,
Fred

My Link & write up with all the links below & pics
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631105

UK Web site on
Here is a good write up on how to tune the Weber.
http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/TuneWeber.html

Zook Site
Here is another group of write up(s) on how to tune a Weber and adjust the choke on weber.
http://www.izook.com/tech/samurai/en...eber/weber.htm
http://www.izook.com/tech/samurai/en...weberworks.htm

This could help anyone working on a gas engine, great write up
Here is a good write up on how to read your spark plugs with pics
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Someone here on JF posted this link, I added it to the article a few weeks
ago.

Here is another good link on tune or screw settings on all the Weber Carbs.
http://www.racetep.com/webjettune.html

That is 3 locations, 3 of the best ones I found and there are others. Never heard of Usenet, but would have been easy to share the links and pics. If they are having trouble. Might have helped them.

Posting the jets are metric drill bits and the range available helps a great deal when trying tune the carbs

Last edited by Fjguercio; 01-26-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.