Weber 38 carb conversion kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber 38 carb conversion kit

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Geauxtigers78
1979 CJ7 

Weber 38 carb conversion kit

Putting weber 38 carb conversion on my 79 cj7 with a 258... Anyone have one installed that they can send me pictures of, instructions were very vague and want to make sure I have correct lines running to correct port...any help would b greatly appreciated!!

Geauxtigers78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I have just completed one, having sworn off doing it for years. However my annual bonus is due!!!!!

The instructions could be vague, mine had none at all. Fortunately the Forum has covered this many times over the years!!!

I purchased a 38DGMS manual choke and hooked it up as follows:

FUEL
Fuel supply - mechanical fuel pump to 3 way filter with tank return. Supply via Hose until I get a Tube bent. Supply to bottom of inlet.
Return pipe on carb just above the inlet - blanked off with a piece of Hose.

CABLES
Throttle cable - special kit to attach
Choke cable - special kit to attach

VACUUM
Distributor vacuum connection - manifold vacuum - port pointing up at 45 degrees just above the throttle linkage.

EGR valve vacuum connection - ported vacuum - port pointing out horizontaly at the side of the carb.

PCV connection to filter - awaiting a second hole to be drilled in the filter housing as current hole is on the wrong end.

PHOTOS
I attach some photos. My carb is oriented 180 degrees turned from most you see as it is RHD and the throttle cable comes in from the other direction over the engine. You can see in these phitos the two connections I have. firstly to manifold vacuum going back over the vave cover, and ported vacuum that heads down to the EGR valve.

You will note the choke cable was not yet installed or filter when the photos were taken.

If you have your carb correctly mounted you will find the manifold vacuum port on the bulkhead side and the ported vaccuumm connection facing the valve cover.
img00800-20130120-1708.jpg   img00801-20130120-1709.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Geauxtigers78
1979 CJ7 

This helps some, thanks but I have the electric choke on mine so I think it's set up a little different?!
Geauxtigers78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The electric choke model does not have a choke cable (of course) but instead has an electrical connection. This should be routed to the oil pressure switch and then on to the ignition wires (red with tracer).

The ports are the same as far as I am aware.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.