Weber 34 DGEC conversion Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber 34 DGEC conversion Help

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
daoliv

Weber 34 DGEC conversion Help

As some of you know I finally got my Weber installed today. It is on an 86 6 cylinder. Well I have a few of questions.

1. Were do I connect the hoses supplied for the air injection system. I am going to drill the holes in the air cleaner but were do the hoses connect on the other side.

2. Got it started but it immediatley shut down. all of the vacuum hoses I found are plugged and all of the connections are on correctly that I can see. When I started the engine it smoke came out of the exhaust and I had to keep the pedal pressed to keep an idle.

3.In the instructions for an autonatic tranny it says "with a helper inside the vehicle adjust the linkage rod so that full throttle is attained". What are they actually saying here?

when I hold down the gas pedal it will run but it is running rough. could this be because I do not have the air injection hooked up yet?

David

daoliv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

I dont know if with a weber you can still use the air system..Its ideal to run a weber with no emisions hooked up...
what I would do is disconect the un-needed vac. lines and replace the few you will need such as the vac. advance to the dizzy,pvc,crank case vent-ccvand possibly the brake booster..Do a nutter bypass on the computer....The deal with having a helper inside to make sure its hitting full throttle is....Have a buddy inside pressing wide open on the gas,while not running to make sure the linkage on the carb is opening full throttle and activating the kickdown on the tranny for your passing gear..Make sure you also have a fuel pressure regulator hooked up and a bypass to the return line to the tank..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Last edited by Mr.Crowley; 03-08-2007 at 10:00 AM..
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
RLBJeep

I don't have an automatic so can't help you there. Maybe these pictures will help with the vac connections.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...p/Webervac.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...00194Small.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...00197Small.jpg

You want to connect to 2 hoses that were connected at #4 in this photo to the fittings in the weber air cleaner. Scroll down the page and you will see a picture of the tubes themselves.
http://home.sprynet.com/%7Edale02/aircl.htm
Good luck.
Unread 03-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
1337-J33P

On my air injectors I cut the hoses off and put some breathers on ($10 at autozone) rather than cutting up my new air cleaner.

I have the air injector valves connected to manifold vacuum via the heat switch.

Follow Scrambeled 's suggestions. Nutter bypass and do the best lean idle adjustment.

The instructions in my kit were wrong on connecting the distributor vacuum line. It showed using manifold vacuum but that would advance the timing at idle which you don't want. Use the ported line on the carb (its the highest up line on the side) so you get more vacuum when the throttle is open.

I just put the same carb on and had trouble with mileage (9mpg) and power.
The things that worked for me:
New plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor.
Nutter bypass
Best lean idle adjustment
Set timing to 1 degree below knocking (drive, adjust, drive, adjust...)
Fuel regulator set to 3#
replaced the jets, both the idle and main jets.

The ones it came with were too rich. I ordered an assortment from Weber and trial and error until I got a combination with good power and mileage. I also temporarily installed a mixture meter.

Now I have good power from idle to redline and 16 mpg!
1337-J33P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
RLBJeep

The Nutter is a must when moving away from the stepper equipped carter. I have the same carb on an 84 and it runs like a top. The PO had removed the pulse air system so I did not have that to worry about. I did the nutter, TFI, got my echoke, manifold heater and vac lines connected, installed a FPR and did minor lean idle tuning and it idles and has no hesitation when floored.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.