WEBER 34 DGEC Carb TOO RICH??, Jets & Tune for Jeep 4.2 / 258 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > WEBER 34 DGEC Carb TOO RICH??, Jets & Tune for Jeep 4.2 / 258

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Closed Thread
Unread 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #31
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

Just to correct you, it is a 36/36 DGEC carb.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51312_58_07.htm
I'll call and get the new jets and report back.

1997 ZJ
PA Jeeps member
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #32
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet View Post
Just to correct you, it is a 36/36 DGEC carb.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51312_58_07.htm
I'll call and get the new jets and report back.
Scott,

How about that. I do not think the 36/36 was avail when I was looking to buy a carb. So I have not seen that one prior. Thanks for showing that to me.

The 36/36 refers to the Venturies in Metric so you carb holes are bigger than mine. The jet selection is also metric drill hole sizes. I would estimate since you have 36/36 Ventures your Idel Jets would be the 35 or 40. Same thing with the Run Jets your situation might want a bit more fuel. I would think your Idle at 35 or 40 and the Run Jet at 147.

A Ratio Check on idle jets???
45jet divided by 40jet is 1.13 or 13% more fuel in the 45 vs 40
45jet divided by 35jet is 1.29 or 29% more fuel in the 45 vs 35

Those Jets Should be very close. Keep cking your spark plug condition also. The picture guide LINK is on page one.

If you need to discuss this more prior to the proper jet selection and tune of carb please start another thread. I will see it and help you there.

Regards,
Fred
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #33
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the good work Fjguercio.
Unread 04-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #34
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
Thanks for the good work Fjguercio.
Thanks Bubba,

Just make some videos of the CJ7 running with the Weber 34. Works very well stop back in a few days and should have them posted here.

Fred
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #35
Deeredriver
1985 CJ7 

installing idle jets

How do you properly install idle jets in a Weber 34 carb. Is there a certain way or torque to to apply to them. I just installed a 34 on my CJ. It came with 55 idle jets it's , to say the least, a lot rich. The plugs are beyond black and it rolls smoke like my 6.0 powerstroke. Jose is sending me more jets should be here tomorrow. Already nuttered it. I didn't want to over or under tighten them. Any one got any thought's Thanks
Unread 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #36
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

The jets are made of brass a soft metal and are partialy hollow. Until you find the selection you like the jets only need a couple of foot pounds, like 2 ft #. When you get your final selection of jets that are working well might be like 4-5 ft pounds. It not a lot.
Unread 04-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #37
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

And use the right size screwdriver. Usually not a problem on new carbs but old crusty ones really need the right size bit to pull the jets out. I think Holley actually made a special one for removing thier jets.
Unread 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #38
Deeredriver
1985 CJ7 

Rich weber

Is it possible that my weber carb is so rich that it fouled the plugs so bad that my jeep won't hardly run now. The plugs are very black and sooty. The jeep ran well, smoked quite a bit at idle, but ran after I installed the new carb. I ilded around in the shop a little one day, now it won't hardly start and now it is missing bad. I got new plugs for it. I'm going to install them when I recieve my new jets, The stock idle jets were 55.
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #39
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeredriver View Post
Is it possible that my weber carb is so rich that it fouled the plugs so bad that my jeep won't hardly run now. The plugs are very black and sooty. The jeep ran well, smoked quite a bit at idle, but ran after I installed the new carb. I got new plugs for it. I'm going to install them when I recieve my new jets, The stock idle jets were 55.

DeerDriver,

Yes it is.. The carbon fouling is conductive and at some point it will ground out the electrode to the base of plug and you will no longer get a spark. I also suggest you review your run jets internal, they may need to be smaller per the instructions in this thread.

If you have questions like this please start your own thread. I will see it and so will others.

Regards,
Fred
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #40
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Hey man, thanks again for this thread. I read through it a while back and never thought to try it, but I'm going to be working on a ton of stuff on the CJ this weekend so I'll pop the top on my Weber 34/34 and see what jets it has inside.

I have the Holley FPR and mine has been running great and getting excellent gas mileage compared to what it was getting with the stock Carter BBD. But I know there is still room for improvement, so I'm going to try those smaller jets and re-tune it and see.

I may try calling Weber today and seeing if they will send me the jets free of charge. I'd hate to spend $ if it's not entirely necessary to.

Edit: FYI before you go to purchase these just hop on the phone to 1-800-871-3405. I explained the situation to the guy on the phone and he is sending a pair of 35 and 40 idle jets without even charging shipping. Pretty cool...

Last edited by SuB8HaVeN; 04-22-2009 at 07:41 AM..
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #41
fixit

Weber 34DGEC Jet sizes

I'm in the process of "fixing" my friend's '88.He got the 34 DGEC and it has the same jet setup you described.'We' got the new jets- haven't put them in yet. Also got the fuel press.regulator from weber.I hope you don't mind me asking another question.Weber wesite doesn't have diagrams for the 34 DGEC.The accelerator pump is the diaphragm under the 4-screw housing or is it the one under the 3 screw housing.I say the 4 hole but repair kit comes with the three.
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #42
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit View Post
I'm in the process of "fixing" my friend's '88.He got the 34 DGEC and it has the same jet setup you described.'We' got the new jets- haven't put them in yet. Also got the fuel press.regulator from weber.I hope you don't mind me asking another question.Weber wesite doesn't have diagrams for the 34 DGEC.The accelerator pump is the diaphragm under the 4-screw housing or is it the one under the 3 screw housing.I say the 4 hole but repair kit comes with the three.
Yes I kinda do mind the question. This is not a trouble shooting thread it is a knowledge base, or I am trying to?? If you have question like this start your own thread. This is not the place for it.

Glad you got the smaller jet, after you install Jets and Holley Fuel Regulator report back with the Jet Numbers installed OEM / changed to and how it worked out.... thats what I am looking for. Also any other mods to engine like a MSD or headers.

As for the Repair Kit and Accelerator Pump... The Weber 34 are fairly new cabs and I do not think you need the new accelerator pump. You might be right but I do not know??? This would be a question for Weber Tech if want to call them. But if you are trying to fix Weber Carb why take things apart you do not have experience with. The jet change and tune is fairly simple.

Hope that helps,
Fred
Unread 04-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #43
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
Thanks Bubba,

Just make some videos of the CJ7 running with the Weber 34. Works very well stop back in a few days and should have them posted here.

Fred

Well here are the video clips and they are posted on Photobucket. I think you will be impressed how well a 31 year old Jeep CJ7 with a 258 can run. This is like a 110hp engine when stock and I added the Weber 34 Carb, Summit MultiSpark Ignition, TeamRush Cap&Rotar Path, Used Ford E Coil, Autolite 985 copper plugs (opened to .040 to .045 w/TeamRush), Aux Grounds many of them, Borla Header & Exhaust, 1980's Jeep Intake w/Water Jacket. I have 3.54 gears, 33x12.5 tires, T18 wide ratio so 3 speed w/granny gear 1st, locking hubs in front. I guess the current HP is in the 140 range, thats still + 30%. Engine can now rev to above 4000 rpms as you will see in the videos. I am getting 24/25mpg hwy if I am careful and feather the gas traveling about 65 and 2400/2500 rpms.

Here are three VIDEOS

VIDEO of the Idle at 700 rpms, and put a glass of water on the valve cover and it stays there. My neighbor that helped me later said I should have reved the engine to see if glass stayed there. Maybe next time, if I have help to catch the glass, hard to work the throttle and catch the glass.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSCN2057.flv

VIDEO of the CJ going thru the gears I. Second hit 4000 rpms and the speedo says 50 mph, speedo is off by little over 10 so more like 60+. Notice the time only takes a few seconds to get to sixy. ON the hwy I can cruise at 70 mph or so easy. The BEST GEAR CALCULATOR on web is back.... so the CJ in 3rd gear of 4 is going 66 mph at 4000 rpms. Not too shabby.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSCN2059.flv

VIDEO of the CJ going thru the gears II.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSCN2062.flv

Anyway hope this helps the Folks here on JeepForum.

Regards,
Fred

Last edited by Fjguercio; 04-25-2009 at 01:32 PM..
Unread 04-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #44
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your video links wont work for me.
Unread 04-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #45
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious_monk View Post
Your video links wont work for me.

My Nikon Camera uses QuickTime for video images. Not sure what your computer uses for video. QuickTime is free is you do a google search and download it. Can also convert video file to what you have with free converters but the files get too big, it almost doubled that last few times I did it. The links play on my computer, but does not show me what format Photobucket saves them in. I will look on photobucket site a little more.

From Photobucket looks like Adobe Flash Player, Real Player are also options for video play back. Right Click the video dispaly window on the Photobucket Site once you get there. That will give you the option to download for Real Player to play it or to use Adobe Flash.

You could also try a windows update too, your video play back tools might be outdated/not current.

I did check the links when I posted them.

Fred
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.