WEBER 34 DGEC Carb TOO RICH??, Jets & Tune for Jeep 4.2 / 258 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > WEBER 34 DGEC Carb TOO RICH??, Jets & Tune for Jeep 4.2 / 258

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet View Post
I'm still working on my 36/36 i just got. I called Jose and he sent me new idle jets FREE. I put in the .045 and it seems to idle better and less smoke. I just ordered the CRT Performance HEI dist in hopes of helping the jeep run better. i'll let ya know how it works.
Dear Scottsjeeprolet,

Glad you are getting some help. I still think the idle jets at .045 are too big, and since you said smoke less, sounds like that is true. I have not spoke to Jose about my POST WORK YET.

Be carefull with the AFTER MARKET HEI, make sure you read a few posts about the HEI that JeepHammer has discussed how to test the drive gear to make sure it is not hardened metal, and fits properly in your 258. Failure to do this could take out your engine. So be well read and safe before you install this. http://www.junkyardgenius.com/igniti...eicompair.html

I suggest you order the 35 idle jets and one 147 run jet since you already have one installed. If you do not have a 147 run jet installed order 2 of them. Then go thru the process of tune and time adjust.

If you have further questions copy this single post to another THREAD and ask away. Once we get you fixed up can post a short note back here what the final selection was.

After a few more of these maybe Jose with ship out the same selection of jets for the Jeep 4.2.

Regards,
Fred

Last edited by Fjguercio; 04-10-2009 at 07:38 PM..
Fjguercio is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
81eagle

How's it going Weber Guru's!!

I have a buddy with an 86 CJ-7 which he installed a Weber on. He enlisted my help to tune it. His box had a part # of WK551-38 is this carb too big for the 258? I don't hear it mentioned very often, is it different than the 36/36? I really don't know much about the Weber, but have tuned several MC2100 and Carter BBD's. We have installed a FPR and set the pressure at 3psi. I checked all his connections including the charcoal canister and all are correct. It runs very rich, and can't get it to idle below 800rpm. None of the jet #'s mentioned here are in his WEBER Performance Jet Kit, and I haven't read any mention of the Air Correctors in this post. Are they swapped out very often? This has been the most detailed post I have come across on the net. GOOD JOB!!

Any help would be great!!
81eagle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #18
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81eagle View Post
86 CJ-7, Weber 38
We have installed a FPR and set the pressure at 3psi.
It runs very rich
can't get it to idle below 800rpm.
None of the jet #'s mentioned here are in his WEBER Performance Jet Kit

I haven't read any mention of the Air Correctors in this post. Are they swapped out very often?

81 Eagle,

I would suggest you copy, cut& paste, your post and mine and start another thread. Ask for help on the 38 and I and other can help. This is more of a information location than help post or it will turn into a mess. Use the web adress link on top of page to refer to this POST AS REFERENCE INFORMATION AND START YOUR OWN THREAD.

I would prefer JeepForum Members put what JET CHANGES worked on their JEEP 4.2 / 258 here. MOSTLY for Weber 34/34 and some Weber 32/36. This gives us a good base line and proof so I can talk to Weber and have the correct jets shipped stock.

I am also interested in what Weber is shipping as stock jets Idle and Run on new product. This may alow us to modify what Weber is shipping on the Weber 34.

We can only get this done after some validation from you guys.

YOUR QUESTIONS & ANSWERS:
The Weber 38 are too big for most of the Jeeps unless the engine is highly modified. YOU were silent on your engine mods if any???

Might be able to run jets slightly larger than the 147 Run & 35 Idle jets for the 38. That is a TOTAL GUESS ON MY Part. Please post what jets came stock in the new 38 and what was in the TUNE KIT for 38 IN YOUR NEW POST AND HERE FOR REFERENCE. The Jet PART NUMBERs for 34, 38, 32/36 are not interchangeable. They still use metric drill bit holes so simillar in that way and the metric drill size in in the part number.

The air corrrection are generaly not changed per my conversation with factory. The 38 operates both Venturies at once, the other Webers are progressive and start with Primary and then open the Secondary.

MAYBE?? ask if you could exchange for a smaller weber unless there is strong reason why. Maybe they/seller made a mistake in recommending the 38.

Ball is back in your court. Need to copy/paste to another Thread, and put more about what you are starting with. I would also like to see some PICs from top front, both sides. The vintage Jeep will have a computer to disable at min and there are some Igniton Upgrade to be done like TEAMRUSH, extra grounds, and those things are discussed and linked above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81eagle View Post
This has been the most detailed post I have come across on the net. GOOD JOB!!
Thank you, it needed to be done!

Last edited by Fjguercio; 02-12-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
81eagle

Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe he got it from QT or 4wd Hardware. The engine is basically stock. All the emission must have been removed because the pulse air tubes, cat, and mess of stuff that normally resides on the valve cover is missing.

I have no idea if the internals have been messed with, but it really doesn't look like it. Everything on the long block looks factory and not disturbed. I will do as requested and take some pics of what I'm working with.

From your response I gather the 38 is a totally different carb than the 34 or 36. What type of application is the 38 suited to?

Thanks for all the help!
81eagle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #20
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
81 Eagle,

I would suggest you copy, cut & paste, your post and mine and start another thread. Ask for help on the Weber 38 and I and others can help there. This is more info location. With TOO MUCH HELP it will turn into a mess.

Refer to this POST AS REFERENCE INFORMATION as a link, use the browser link top of page.
You are correct, the Weber 38 does work differently than the other webers. Both throttle plates open at the same time, not a progression of open the primary and when pedal goes further down the secondary opens up.

I do not want to lock this page yet, still looking for stock jet information, and confirmations smaller jet range is working well.

Regards,
Fred
Unread 02-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
TWISTED125
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hi, I just installed the 34 on my 89 YJ. I ran everything per the instructions but just want to make sure of the vaccuum lines that remain. Will someone PLEASE post some pics of the inside of their engine bay and show me these lines coming from the carb!? I was confused about the pipe coming out of the intake base that said to run it to the valve cover, does this mean the rear breather? Also, it said to drill two holes in the top of the intake and run vaccuum lines to them because it needs filtered air>? what lines are these, are they necessary?? I got it running, starts rough, then a nice idle sets in, around 600 RPM or so. If I power up, say 2k RPM it responds well, but when I hold it at that RPM it sounds like its pulsing. (vrooom rooom rooom room room) haha everyone say that outloud and youll get the idea. I am nuttering it tonight. Could the old ECM be making it do this?? Anyways, any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance
TWISTED125 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

You'll need to install a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 3 psi.
Unread 02-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

I have asked several times, If you need HELP then start a new thread with your details. The YJ Wrangler, Twisted125, needs to post in the YJ Forum. Send me a PM with Link, I will look. I NEED YOUR HELP JEEPFORUM, IF YOU DO NOT, I WILL HAVE THE THREAD LOCKED.

IMPORTANT:
I have asked Scottsjeeprolet and others to post what jets were stock and what jets worked out well. That information is the only type of information I want added to this thread.

I am most confident if we used the Jets & Tune information above the JEEP 4.2 will work quite well. IF.... IF.... IF.... we can validate this with 20 Jeep 4.2 /258 or 232's with stock cams so forth..... I will contact Weber and try to MAKE THAT JET MIX STOCK. This way we do not have to work at it so hard. I need your help to do this. We have the Jeeps and need to transfer the results back to Weber. They / Weber does not have 100 CJ's to tune in the garage if you get my drift.

I have many, many, many days of work and research into this project/thread, please read and follow the instructions.

Thank you,
Fred
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #24
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by out-of-here View Post
The carb is stamped 34 DGEC.
The jets that come with the carb 65/47.5 idle, 150/147 run.
info on weber carb 1-2 yrs old
Unread 03-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #25
Driven2it

I just installe a Weber 34 on a 87 YJ. FPR set to 2.5lbs and nuttered. Came with 47.5 and 55 idle jets. Runs fine. Great actually. Mixture screw is 2 turns out. Any closer in and it starts to die. I'll check the plugs later this week when I team rush the ignition. I'm at sea level. I know some people had problems with the Weber running rich who were at high elevations.
Driven2it is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
mrjackugp
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok so i got the 34 dgec carb like a week ago and thru trial and error we ran a line into the fuel filter and sprayed starting fluid into it ( it stalls just above 2 grand) and when we gave it a shot of starting fluid it ran like normal any ideas--- im thinking of getting biger jets. it seems like its starving for fuel

oh and im running 150/147 and 55/47.5

main problem is when accelerating about 2grand it completely dies

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=725115&page=3

the thread i started and everything i did to fix the problem and i still have the problem

Last edited by mrjackugp; 03-18-2009 at 06:45 PM..
mrjackugp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #27
jennandal
1983 CJ5 

I just called the 800 number listed earlier (800-871-3405) and told the guys the problems I am having with running rich. They are sending me a jet pack free of charge with 35 idles and I believe 135 mains.
83 CJ5 w/258 I6, 4.0 HO head swap, Weber 34 w/ nutter bypass, 2.5" shackle lift w/8* castor shims, superlift shocks, 32" Hankook Dynapro MT's, TFI ignition upgrade and coil, dual electric fan off full size Dodge pickup, and tons of wires and vacuum hosing laying around.
jennandal is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennandal View Post
I just called the 800 number listed earlier (800-871-3405) and told the guys the problems I am having with running rich. They are sending me a jet pack free of charge with 35 idles and I believe 135 mains.
Hey thats great news.. very nice of them to send you smaller jets. When you change your jets please add what jets shipped stock in your carb in the post above. Primary, secondary, run and Idle.

If you read my thread closely you may need the 147 Main Jets. I think the 135 might be a little too lean, but if you are completely stock might be ok.

Regards,
Fred
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

Well my 36/36 is still running too rich at idle. Great driving power but real rich at idle.
They sent me the new idle jets, i put in the 45 jets and still too rich.
Unread 04-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #30
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Well my 36/36 is still running too rich at idle. Great driving power but real rich at idle.
They sent me the new idle jets, i put in the 45 jets and still too rich.
Dear Scott,

It a Weber 32/36 by the way. I have told you prior post the 45 idle jets are going to be too big. The past posts are copied below. If you do not follow directions please do not post here it is not working. If you need help please start your own thread and put the web link above in your post for reference. I do not want this tread cluttered.

I do not want to LOCK this thread yet because my research and work is not done yet.

I do want information on what jets came stock and what jet selection worked well for the primary, secondary, main jets, idle jets.

Quote:
I'm still working on my 36/36 i just got. I called Jose and he sent me new idle jets FREE. I put in the .045 and it seems to idle better and less smoke. I just ordered the CRT Performance HEI dist in hopes of helping the jeep run better. i'll let ya know how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
Dear Scottsjeeprolet,

I still think the idle jets at .045 are too big, and since you said smoke less, sounds like that is true.

I suggest you order the 35 idle jets and one 147 run jet since you already have one installed. If you do not have a 147 run jet installed order 2 of them. Then go thru the process of tune and time adjust.

If you have further questions copy this single post to another THREAD and ask away. Once we get you fixed up can post a short note back here what the final selection was.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.