Weber 34 Carb TOO Rich, Possible Solution, Need 2 volunteers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber 34 Carb TOO Rich, Possible Solution, Need 2 volunteers

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Weber 34 Carb TOO Rich, Possible Solution, Need 2 volunteers

Hi,

I need two volunteers with Weber 34 too rich

I am looking for 2 JeepForum members that have a newer Weber 34 that is running rich and would be willing to buy a few jets both idle / run install them, adjust the carb, time, as needed and read the plugs to see if this solves your problem. I will help you and have some resourses that can help us also. If this works out well we can post the Jet Range that will work much better for the 258. You need to have a good base 258, rebuilt or not too many miles on it so we get the base line normal. I would prefer that you have some knowledge about your engine and CJ. Also prefer engines that do not have computer operation. Maybe had the stock carb running well and changed to WEber 34 and too rich????

Approx jet cost 4-6 pcs $6 each and you fax your order to WeberDirect.

I have been working with a new WEBER 34/34 DGEC and a 1978 CJ 7 258 with a newly rebuilt engine with 2000 miles on it. I have been in contact with WEberDirect quite a bit, researched everthing I could onthe WEB as for good set ups and trouble shooting. I had/have problems with rich smoking Idle and Runs rich on spark plugs they are black with a sooty coating. I have been changing Jets and upgrading my ignition and have a very good base line. On the lastest run of idle jets no longer smokes and no longer rich on the plugs. Seems to run pretty well now.

I want to post a FUTURE thread that has good knowledge and base set ups. I will use the links that I found, the TEST Results that worked out, so others do not need to pull the "hair out in frustration". This is not the final thread. I am just looking for 2 more testers and have 1 already.

PM your personal email and I will send you a 1 sheet document of what to order and where to fax the order.

Thanks,
Fred

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Bump up, any volunteers??
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
CJ559
1984 CJ7 

TOO Rich

Hey new to this forum and would like to help you out with the Weber K551 34 carb. I am running a stock 258 with aftermarket distributor.
CJ559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ559 View Post
Hey new to this forum and would like to help you out with the Weber K551 34 carb. I am running a stock 258 with aftermarket distributor.
Welcome to the JeepFourm.

That sounds good. Are you running rich and stinky?? Did you install the carb and are their any changes to the jets and so forth to tune your ride?

If your after market distributor is HEI and recent. There are major problems with the HEI/AMC Engine combination that uses hardened steel gears that can be harder than you cam gear and eat up. Thus no oil, failures????, and metal filings in the engine. MSD and DUI are safe units to buy, but stay away from the cheap crap.

Post or confirm the questions above. Send me your email via a PM at top of the page. I send you a sheet of info.
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
CJ559
1984 CJ7 

Too rich

Rich and stinky. I installed the Carb. The original jets were Idle jet 55 and secondary 47.5.
I swapped the secondary jet and the idle jets. Only a minor improvement.
DUI distributor.
Stock 258 motor with NO SMOG PARTS.

RickGregor@hotmail.com
Unread 10-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also running rich, but might be due to elevation I'm at, and linkage not adjusted properly. I just installed the DGEV, and haven't figured it all out yet. I might be a candidate though if it doesn't have to be at sea level.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
Hi,

I need two volunteers with Weber 34 too rich

I am looking for 2 JeepForum members that have a newer Weber 34 that is running rich and would be willing to buy a few jets both idle / run install them, adjust the carb, time, as needed and read the plugs to see if this solves your problem. I will help you and have some resourses that can help us also. If this works out well we can post the Jet Range that will work much better for the 258. You need to have a good base 258, rebuilt or not too many miles on it so we get the base line normal. I would prefer that you have some knowledge about your engine and CJ. Also prefer engines that do not have computer operation. Maybe had the stock carb running well and changed to WEber 34 and too rich????

Approx jet cost 4-6 pcs $6 each and you fax your order to WeberDirect.

I have been working with a new WEBER 34/34 DGEC and a 1978 CJ 7 258 with a newly rebuilt engine with 2000 miles on it. I have been in contact with WEberDirect quite a bit, researched everthing I could onthe WEB as for good set ups and trouble shooting. I had/have problems with rich smoking Idle and Runs rich on spark plugs they are black with a sooty coating. I have been changing Jets and upgrading my ignition and have a very good base line. On the lastest run of idle jets no longer smokes and no longer rich on the plugs. Seems to run pretty well now.

I want to post a FUTURE thread that has good knowledge and base set ups. I will use the links that I found, the TEST Results that worked out, so others do not need to pull the "hair out in frustration". This is not the final thread. I am just looking for 2 more testers and have 1 already.

PM your personal email and I will send you a 1 sheet document of what to order and where to fax the order.

Thanks,
Fred
Are you running a FPR? It was recommended to run a Holley 12804 when I did mine a couple of years ago.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
KBONSIG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 34/34 - just finishing up my tub swap / rebuild - I ran rich all the time, but cut the cat out since there is no need for it anymore - got to tell you I cranked it up and ran it for the first time in 5 months - not running rich at all. Now I did not drive it at all since I still have to hook up the clutch linkage, but can the free flowing exhaust be helping the cause at all?
1995 YJ 4Cyl
1987 YJ I6
KBONSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
Are you running a FPR? It was recommended to run a Holley 12804 when I did mine a couple of years ago.
Yes, running the Holey Fuel Pres Regulator, ordered with the Weber 34.

I agree, This FPR should be used with any setup, if the fuel pump is not a 3-3.5 psi output. Do not buy a cheap copy either they do not work.

I am not looking for solutions here.

I am just looking for 2-3 volunteers that want to try a jet change and get this Carb, Weber 34, under control. I have two volunteers and can use 1-2 more max.

Fred
Unread 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBONSIG View Post
I have the 34/34 - just finishing up my tub swap / rebuild - I ran rich all the time, but cut the cat out since there is no need for it anymore - got to tell you I cranked it up and ran it for the first time in 5 months - not running rich at all. Now I did not drive it at all since I still have to hook up the clutch linkage, but can the free flowing exhaust be helping the cause at all?
I do not think so.... I have a Borla Header and exhaust system w/o catalytic converter. Still rich with the WEber 34 and factory jets. Would be curious to know what Idle & Run jets are in your carb.

Freed
Unread 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
I'm also running rich, but might be due to elevation I'm at, and linkage not adjusted properly. I just installed the DGEV, and haven't figured it all out yet. I might be a candidate though if it doesn't have to be at sea level.
You are correct High Elevation can affect the carb settings and jets. IN addition the DGEV you mention is not a Weber 34.

Fred
Unread 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
CJ559
1984 CJ7 

Thought you were going to send Info sheet

RickGregor@hotmail.com

Quote:
Welcome to the JeepFourm.

That sounds good. Are you running rich and stinky?? Did you install the carb and are their any changes to the jets and so forth to tune your ride?

If your after market distributor is HEI and recent. There are major problems with the HEI/AMC Engine combination that uses hardened steel gears that can be harder than you cam gear and eat up. Thus no oil, failures????, and metal filings in the engine. MSD and DUI are safe units to buy, but stay away from the cheap crap.

Post or confirm the questions above. Send me your email via a PM at top of the page. I send you a sheet of info.
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
KBONSIG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I do not think so.... I have a Borla Header and exhaust system w/o catalytic converter. Still rich with the WEber 34 and factory jets. Would be curious to know what Idle & Run jets are in your carb.

Freed
Stock Jets.
1995 YJ 4Cyl
1987 YJ I6
KBONSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #14
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Dear CJ559,
The sheet was sent to your Email 1:48 pm today. Order your jets, install, email me back and let me know how it goes.

Dear Kbonsig,
I am trying to confirm what Weber 34 has installed for STOCK JETS. I was told these are bench flow tested and have my doubts. If you know what jets Idle & Run are installed stock it could be usefull.

Fred
Unread 10-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #15
mherois
1985 CJ7 

hey

i would help ya out still but since we last spoke i removed the weber 34 and put on the old carter yf 1 barrel, my distro. was bad too so i had to change that out. im following the post though for after i fix my other issues.
mherois is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.