Weber 32/36 Redline Conversion Kit K&N Air Filter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber 32/36 Redline Conversion Kit K&N Air Filter

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 04-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
A teaspoon!! Wow!

Interesting stuff, Shawn.

My only question to David would be, how do the fibers continue to "sweep the air" when they are caked with 1/4" of dirt and oil?

Matt
That's something I'd like to talk to him about because I've heard the same stuff about those filters.

If anyone questions the fact that air flow goes back and forth in an engine, check this out.

Pretty crazy stuff. That's why I'm so critical about getting your exhaust lengths right.

Unread 04-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
That's something I'd like to talk to him about because I've heard the same stuff about those filters.

If anyone questions the fact that air flow goes back and forth in an engine, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WU9XEUn1FA

That's why I'm so critical about getting your exhaust lengths right.
And your velocity stacks the right length...

If you are running individual runners per cylinder, like in the video, Your only sucking air 1/4 of the time the engine is firing, your sucking air and fuel at a high rate and then slam the door shut with a valve closing, What do you think the air is going to do, wait for the valve to open up again? Hah! it bounces back the other way...

Now if you are running a plenum manifold like ours it's not that bad because some cylinder is sucking someplace.

to keep it simple I would go with the stock air cleaner adapter, for more performance I would use the bigger adapter with a pipe running to a remote factory air cleaner housing. Shopuld be plenty of those in junkyards somewere.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I agree, John. That was an extreme example just to illustrate the point. It blew my mind when I saw it, though. Kinda hard to believe.

I've seen fuel residue on the bottom side of the filter lid before when an aggressive cam was used with the wrong collector length.

Shawn
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
uptillnow

Quote:
I agree, John. That was an extreme example just to illustrate the point. It blew my mind when I saw it, though. Kinda hard to believe.

I've seen fuel residue on the bottom side of the filter lid before when an aggressive cam was used with the wrong collector length.

Shawn
Shawn / John,
I had the opportunity to dyno a 400 S.B. at 7000 RPM with 44 IDF's (similar size to the 45 DCOE's) and witnessed a fuel/air stand off about 10-12 inches above the stacks. The engine hit a wall sota speak as "each cylinder" out flowed the 36mm venture's. My guess is the video with 45 DCOE's had the same size venture's (36mm) and hit a similar flow wall. Good stuff, thanks for pointing this out.

UPTILLNOW
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

All I really know is, here is my filter after 2000 miles, using a factory air cleaner complete with the flexible snout extension and an operational TAC.

A open-element K&N would be filthy after 2K, in my neck of the woods.

Matt
image-2173943311.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
All I really know is, here is my filter after 2000 miles, using a factory air cleaner complete with the flexible snout extension and an operational TAC.

A open-element K&N would be filthy after 2K, in my neck of the woods.

Matt
So which one collected the dirt and which one let it through?

Shawn
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
So which one collected the dirt and which one let it through?

Shawn
I think it's more a function of the where the air comes from.

With a closed factory setup, with the snout extension, the air is coming from the outside at the top of the grill. When your rolling down a dusty county road, that spot is collecting clean air, unless you're tailgating someone and eating their dust.

A open-element breather collects air from inside the engine compartment, which takes on a ton of dust, around here.

Matt
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
JustDandee
1983 CJ7 

I think what would be the ticket is to use the filter adapter and find a OEM style housing that could be mounted on it. That way you use the snorkle and pull cooler air from the high pressure zone up front instead of engine bay air.

One note on the K & N- I maybe shallow but I use them on my street vehicles just to hear the noise of an engine breathing in air. I really miss those mechanical secondary carbs....

Dan
JustDandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDandee View Post
I think what would be the ticket is to use the filter adapter and find a OEM style housing that could be mounted on it. That way you use the snorkle and pull cooler air from the high pressure zone up front instead of engine bay air.

Dan
I agree 100%

Matt,

That was a LOT more polite than I expected

Shawn
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
uptillnow

Quote:
I agree 100%

Matt,

Shawn
Fire/Flame suit on, I got the fire extinguishers ready...
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I agree 100%

Matt,

Shawn
Bite me.

edit: I meant that in a purely Christian way, of course.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.