Weber 32/36 Redline Conversion Kit K&N Air Filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weber 32/36 Redline Conversion Kit K&N Air Filter

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

Weber 32/36 Redline Conversion Kit K&N Air Filter

Does anyone have any experience on replacing the Air Filter for this carb with a K&N?

http://www.carburetion.com/weber/Dat...20/%20CHEROKEE

Thanks for the help!

TW80CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

Order part 99010-457 universal 5 1/8" adapter, you can then use any K&N with the 5 1/8" neck.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW80CJ5 View Post
Does anyone have any experience on replacing the Air Filter for this carb with a K&N?

http://www.carburetion.com/weber/Dat...20/%20CHEROKEE

Thanks for the help!
The air filter on the carburetor on the web address is the K&N style, cotton gauze, washable, re-oilable, 100,000 mile type of air filter.

The next post, suggests a 99010.457 adapter for the 5 1/8" I.D., universal 10" O.D. round air filter.

I guess my question is, What K&N filter were you looking at to replace the typical rectangular air filter that comes with the "Weber/REDLINE" conversion?
Some air filters are the paper filter, Empi, Weber Direct etc.

UPTILLNOW
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

Ah, if the weber, is K&N style, then that should be good enough....just a K&N fan and wanted to be able to use one of their products. Round or square, I dont really care.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW80CJ5 View Post
Ah, if the weber, is K&N style, then that should be good enough....just a K&N fan and wanted to be able to use one of their products. Round or square, I dont really care.
Actually, I believe the REDLINE cotton gauze is made by S&B filters. It is very very similar to the K&N in regards to washable, re-oilable, 100,000 mile life expectancy. I am not sure if they flow more or less than one another.
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

TW.
I had the k/n air filter and this carb set up on my jeep.

I use it on my farm, in the summer its very, dirty, dusty, that oil would only attract the dirt
I took the k/n off for cleaning and oiling, but on the back it had a hole in the fiber material.
so I just took it off

at advance auto they have a air filter that fits that size holder, I just bought that std type air filter, then bought a foam (big lawn mower engine) wrap that goes around the air filter, I keep this foam wrap clean/washed and oiled.
so far, the main air filter has stayed much cleaner and at much less expense.

I also took the k/n filter out of my dodge diesel truck
to me: more air flow equals more dirt flow, that diesel engine is too expensive to take a chance with poor air filter.
just my two cents!
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You're INSTALLING a K&N? On a Jeep? Is this a daily driver and not a trail Jeep?

Seriously, that's the first thing most of us toss! K&Ns don't filter dirt anywhere near enough. A good old factory paper filter does a much better job. K&N allows more airflow because you can see through it. And if you can see through it, dirt CAN get through! On a track, in a race car with an engine destined to be torn down frequently, I can understand. You're trading engine wear for victory. But on a Jeep? In the dirt? You're wasting an engine for what?

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I live 8 miles from the nearest pavement, in a dry dusty climate.

I've tried the K&N filters on other rigs, and I would never use one, again. I've also tried the dinky open filters they sell with the Weber kits on my CJ, and won't ever do that again, either.

Based on my experience, you can't beat a properly operating factory air cleaner on a CJ...at least where I live.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

I was about to post a new thead to pose this question but it sounds like all the right people are already discussing it. Here's my dilema. I have a 1978 258 motor in my 1981 CJ7. I have the weber 38/38 DGES carb on it with the rectangular air cleaner that came with it:

Does the filter that came with it need to be oiled with K&N type oil? If so I didn't see that in the description. So I'm trying to decide between the following choices:

1. Keep the rectangular Weber filter that came with it and oil it as you would a K&N.

2. Buy the K&N that fits my Weber housing.

3. Use the stock "power brakes style" Jeep filter housing that I already own, a stock paper filter and the snorkel piece that attaches it to the stock air intake in the grill. I'd need to buy this adapter:

and I could run a K&N in this if I chose. The trouble with this is none of my emissions and vacuum craziness is currently hooked up so I'd have to block off the hot air hose and block open the various flaps in the stock unit.

4. Buy this adapter referenced in the post above:

This would allow me to use the Mr. Gasket 8" round filter I already own from when I ran an MC2100 before the Weber:

The trouble with this option is I've only ever found the Mr. Gasket replacement filter in this size and it cost darn near as much as the whole chrome air cleaner assembly that came with a filter. I could also run a K&N in this too I suppose as long as I could find the right one.

So the debate is back to whether K&N is great or evil. I do primarily street in Louisiana with about a half dozen somewhat dusty trail rides a year. I do like the idea of a paper filter with the oiled foam wrap.

Let the voting/debate begin!
10129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The K&N filters aren't evil. They just don't work well in dusty climates, from my experience.

I'd use the adapter with a factory air cleaner, if I were you.

Matt
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you hook up the vacuum correctly you should not need to block the flaps open.

Edit. I had the oil seals in the turbo of my cummins go bad. They didn't want to replace the turbo under warranty because of the K&N filter.

My friend the shop Forman at the time (before they went to teams) called the engineers about the use of K&N filter.

They referred to it as a rock and stick remover. Not capable of filtering down to the micron for a turbo application. He said if you can hold it too the light and see light through it. Not good.

They replaced my turbo under warranty only because I installed the filter while they were selling it through their mopar performance catalog. Which around 2 years later they pulled it from their catalog.

Haven't used one since. Untill the Grand Cherokee we got for Grammy had one in it. Still debating of pulling it in favor of a standard filter.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

I am hoping for a daily driver to run around it...some light trail riding for sure.

I have done some reading on the K&N's to rebuke points made about their filtration and related engine damage.....put over 300k on one of my trucks, 100K on another, and on and on with K&N's with no issues...anyways, I dont wanna get into an arguement about that, was just wanting to know if anyone out there had some experience with replacing (at some point) the filter that came with the carb with a K&N.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input...
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I'm staying out of this one but check this video out beginning at the 4:25 minute mark.

Unread 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

Nice video to illustrate a point...

Video was made in early 1990's, which by now, I am certain their have been no more technological improvements made on air filters....

I understand everyone has an opinion, and I have mine. I have had very good success with my K&N's. I am in Louisiana and dont plan on driving in any deserts, other dry areas, or plan on entering any BAJA races....Here in Shreveport, or when or if I move back home, right in the Panhandle of FL. Go NOLES!

Haha, again, thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A teaspoon!! Wow!

Interesting stuff, Shawn.

My only question to David would be, how do the fibers continue to "sweep the air" when they are caked with 1/4" of dirt and oil?

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.