Weak Leaf Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Weak Leaf Springs?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 05-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
jufor24
1976 CJ5 

Weak Leaf Springs?

I've got a 76 CJ5 that intermittently wont go when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I put it in gear, let out clutch and the engine revs but jeep doesnt move. It typically does this when trying to pull out into traffic quickly - in other words shifting and gassing quickly. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it is because of weak leaf springs and that all vehicles will do this if leaf springs are weak and you're jamming thru the gears. I'm not a mechanic but this makes no sense to me - it seems like more of a drive train issue. Has anyone else had this issue or have knowledge of leaf springs?

jufor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
bigirons79CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Weak leaf springs!! That's a new one to me and makes me chuckle. Sounds like your clutch is slipping.
FOR MORE PICTURES, CHECK OUT MY PHOTOBUCKET
http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af118/bigirons79cj5/
bigirons79CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
jufor24
1976 CJ5 

I thought that too - and replaced the clutch. However that didnt fix it....
jufor24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.