Water leak making me crazy - have tried everything I can think of and need ideas - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Water leak making me crazy - have tried everything I can think of and need ideas

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

Texasdave.......You definitely win that round! That gives me an idea. I wonder if a urologist would take a look at my Jeep?

1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #17
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

"I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a look"

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #18
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

Mine leaks through the windshield rubber, it comes in under the rubber on the inside. I can't figure out it gets in over the windshield frame. I was told by a guy at the glass shop that the windshields are usually cut using the old one as a pattern and are cut to small, doesn't make sense to me either. But I have went out and srt in while it rains and it comes in in about the center and on the ends, I have been covering it with a plastic tarp
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

How about the fresh air vent on the driver side? Once those fail, might as well leave your top off in the rain.

You can see the rusty flap on the left side of the intake with the rubber seal..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Check the vent screw holes. On my CJ5, they go right into the cab.. leaking water if the screws don't seal.
This might be a winner! Rain and thunderstorms were forecast for last night, so I decided to try and isolate this potential source.

Using blue masking tape, I carefully sealed around the edges of the vent grill where it meets the hood, and made sure the screw holes were also sealed.

We had a pretty good rain last night and this morning the floorboards on both sides were completely dry. It's supposed to rain some more today, so I'm going to leave the tape in place for awhile longer. I'm going to go ahead and make a gasket to seal things, and I may go so far as to find something to seal over the screws, too. Hard to believe so much water was getting in just through those little holes - that have screws in them - but I guess a stead drip adds up over several hours of the kind of heavy rain we get in the Delta.

I hope this does the trick. Sure would be nice to finally have a dry, non-musty cab.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway92407 View Post
Mine leaks through the windshield rubber, it comes in under the rubber on the inside. I can't figure out it gets in over the windshield frame. I was told by a guy at the glass shop that the windshields are usually cut using the old one as a pattern and are cut to small, doesn't make sense to me either. But I have went out and srt in while it rains and it comes in in about the center and on the ends, I have been covering it with a plastic tarp
Go to Harbor Freight and get a set of their plastic windshield tools. Run one of the tools along the undersides of the windshield gasket and lay a bead of clear silicon along there. That will seal it.
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7179CJ5 View Post
Do you have carpet in your jeep?
Yes, I do. Why do you ask?

If you're going to tell me how it will rot the floorboards down to China, I must reply "Nay, Nay."

I don't know what 80s vintage CJ was made of, but my carpet came out of a 1991 YJ. I don't know what it's made of, but it is completely nonabsorbent and dries very quickly. So, not a problem.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Colt,

Are you still leak free?

I was skeptical that the screw holes are the source of the leak, too, but hopefully your report will change my mind.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

It is pouring down rain as we speak. I was out driving in it, and I got a little water in the right side but I think that came in under the door when I hit a really deep stretch of water at about 45 mph.
It had already been pouring hard for about 30 minutes at that point and everything was still dry.
If there isn't a big puddle in the floor after this storm passes, I'd be pretty confident in saying that was the culprit.
I'll report back when the skies clear.
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Okay, here's the update.

It rained cats and dogs for the rest of the afternoon and into the evening after my last post yesterday.
Until now, a rain like that would have resulted in about a half-inch of water pooling in my floor mats.

This morning I opened the door and... nothing. Not even damp.
So, I made a gasket this afternoon based on the illustration above, and installed it.
We'll see what happens, but I think we can call this one tentatively solved.

You wouldn't think that so much water could come in through those little screw holes, but there are six screws holding the vent grate on, and then another four or so underneath the grate that hold the vent box to the underside of the cowling. If each one of those screws leaks a drop every minute or two, then multiply that by ten or so and after awhile you have a puddle.

So, BESRK, if this pans out I owe you a chicken dinner next time you find yourself in Memphis. Or maybe some good Memphis BBQ.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post
This might be a winner! Rain and thunderstorms were forecast for last night, so I decided to try and isolate this potential source.

Using blue masking tape, I carefully sealed around the edges of the vent grill where it meets the hood, and made sure the screw holes were also sealed.

We had a pretty good rain last night and this morning the floorboards on both sides were completely dry. It's supposed to rain some more today, so I'm going to leave the tape in place for awhile longer. I'm going to go ahead and make a gasket to seal things, and I may go so far as to find something to seal over the screws, too. Hard to believe so much water was getting in just through those little holes - that have screws in them - but I guess a stead drip adds up over several hours of the kind of heavy rain we get in the Delta.

I hope this does the trick. Sure would be nice to finally have a dry, non-musty cab.
Not sure if the 83 design is different than my 78, but the screw holes for the intake grill are inside of the fresh air box. Its design promotes draining of rainwater to one end and out the designated drain. However, there are small bosses on the underside of the cowl where each screw goes through. These bosses seem to go to the outside of the vent box. I could see that as a slight possibility for a water leak.

Therefore, I decided to try and seal mine. However, I took a different tact. Since the problem is at the screw holes, I put some silicone at each screw hole as well as on the 4 that hold the vent box up to the cowl. I also dabbed some silicone into the screw holes in the vent grill and buttoned it all up. I'll let you guys know how it works out at next rain event.
1998 TJ 4.0
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

3M Strip Calk #08578 will be your best bet in stopping leaks around the air duct plenums. I used that stuff on the duct work, between fenders and firewall and to seal the transmission cover plate to the floor. Available at NAPA and other Automotive stores.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-strip-calk-08578-black.html

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #28
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

After a strong storm last night and 2 hours worth of intermediate to hard rain, the Jeep is bone dry in the floorboard this morning. It appears the intake grill screws were the source of the leak! I can drive in any weather now!
1998 TJ 4.0
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivehad4
After a strong storm last night and 2 hours worth of intermediate to hard rain, the Jeep is bone dry in the floorboard this morning. It appears the intake grill screws were the source of the leak! I can drive in any weather now!
Love it when a plan comes together.

I started to reply after i read the first post. Then i deleted b/c bserk and john s stated my ideas.

Well done.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Yep, it's truly amazing. We had a little rain also and the interior is completely dry.
I've been chasing this one for so long that it'll take awhile for it to sink in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.