JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Water leak making me crazy - have tried everything I can think of and need ideas (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/water-leak-making-me-crazy-have-tried-everything-i-can-think-need-ideas-1520582/)

Colt44 05-08-2013 02:26 PM

Water leak making me crazy - have tried everything I can think of and need ideas

My '83 CJ-7 has the dreaded leak that fills the floorboards with water when it rains. Did it when I bought it with a soft top, still does it with the hard top.

I have sealed the windshield gasket with RTV.
I've sealed the windshield frame gasket with RTV.
I've closed off all the screw holes on top of the windshield frame.

I've done all of the above with tape.

The hood vent might be the source, but the hood overlaps the lip of the vent intake box, and the box has a drain tube. I can explore that further, but the water doesn't seem to be coming in through the air passage.

How/where would water get from the intake down into the interior?

Anything else I can try?

BESRK 05-08-2013 03:14 PM

Check the vent screw holes. On my CJ5, they go right into the cab.. leaking water if the screws don't seal.

Colt44 05-08-2013 03:17 PM

It's supposed to rain Friday/Saturday, so I guess I'll just tape off the whole intake vent and see if it still leaks.

Matt1981CJ7 05-08-2013 03:18 PM

I always thought the leaking was a built in "feature" to keep my feet cool from the hot floorboards. :D

Matt

7179CJ5 05-08-2013 03:23 PM

Have you ever driven the jeep in rainy weather and not noticed where it the water was coming from?

7179CJ5 05-08-2013 03:25 PM

Do you have carpet in your jeep

lucdog 05-08-2013 03:43 PM

Sit in thebJeep and have someone spray water on it with a garden hose, use a good flashlight to look around. Thai one of the seats out so you can lay on your back.

keith460 05-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt44 (Post 15406984)
The hood vent might be the source, but the hood overlaps the lip of the vent intake box, and the box has a drain tube. I can explore that further, but the water doesn't seem to be coming in through the air passage.

How/where would water get from the intake down into the interior?

If you don't have a gasket, which are not available anymore, between the cowl vent and upper plenum, it's a sure guarantee that water will get in from there. Use butyl rubber strips to seal the vent to the cowl opening and make sure you include the screw holes that hold the upper plenum to the cowl.

Also, what condition is the sealant in, that is inside the plenum where the two half's are riveted together? May be another source for the leak if the sealant has deteriorated over the years.

You will want to seal your transmission cover plate to the floor with the same stuff.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...GasketSeal.jpg

gmakra 05-08-2013 05:43 PM

Also check your windshield washer squinter, put a cup over the squinter and see if the water stops coming in.

Ivehad4 05-08-2013 06:40 PM

Feelin your pain right now. I've been working on mine for a couple months and thought I finally had it nailed, but after 3 days of rain I still have wet socks/pant legs. I sealed the windshield squirter, verified that my air intake grill screws are inboard to the vent box, and have a sore neck and shoulder from the twisting that it requires to do this job. Mine is definitely related to the vent box and doesn't come thru the cowl/windshield seal. My leak comes down the driver side vent (item 13 in Keith's post above). I'll continue searching and post my results if I ever get it sealed up.

Matt1981CJ7 05-08-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivehad4 (Post 15408131)
Feelin your pain right now. I've been working on mine for a couple months and thought I finally had it nailed, but after 3 days of rain I still have wet socks/pant legs. I sealed the windshield squirter, verified that my air intake grill screws are inboard to the vent box, and have a sore neck and shoulder from the twisting that it requires to do this job. Mine is definitely related to the vent box and doesn't come thru the cowl/windshield seal. My leak comes down the driver side vent (item 13 in Keith's post above). I'll continue searching and post my results if I ever get it sealed up.

Please do.

I've restrained from driving mine in any wet weather, since my restore, until I figure it out.

Matt

82JeepCJ7 05-08-2013 06:55 PM

Isn't that the reason why Jeeps have drain holes?

Ivehad4 05-08-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 (Post 15408210)
Isn't that the reason why Jeeps have drain holes?

I guess so and in fact I lost all my plugs years ago. But as my DD it can be embarrassing to explain at work on a rainy morning. Beyond that, its just gnawin at me, cause I know that it didn't leak back in the 80's - so it's fixable.

texasdave 05-08-2013 07:52 PM

I didn't leak in the 80s either but now that it is 2013 I tend to leak every now and then.

WindKnot 05-08-2013 08:22 PM

^^^^TMI!!! :eek:^^^^

The time now is 08:40 PM.